VFX Assignment

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
VFX Assignment

Hello All,

I've been given four weeks to complete an assignment for my VFX class and I've decided for simplicity's sake to go for an object mapped to a body - in this case horns.

I've camera tracked footage in Maya before but I have no idea what would be the best way to then track my moving head so I can attach horns. Would it be a case of adding markers to my face and attaching horns to a 3D placeholder in Maya (roughly the size of my head) which then matched the movement of my head in the footage?

The issue I have here is where and when to camera/object track. As I said I've camera tracked stationary objects to live footage within a scene but never matching moving objects in 3D space.

Would it be better to keep the camera steady for the composite (so I'm only tracking the 3D object and not the camera movement) and add slight camera movement in post?

No idea where to begin Thanks all I really appreciate any help.

Oh and I have Maya and After Effects to use.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Shoot your footage with markers where you want the horns (dots, x's - whatever is easiest). I would stabilize the footage based on the head (in AE) - render out that pass and track the 3D based on the stabilized footage (in Maya), render out your 3D, bring in the passes to the stabilized comp (in AE), color correct and do all the stuff you need to to make it look good (edgeblur, motion blur, shadows etc).

The other way would be to motion track the head without stabilizing the footage based on the head movement - which means a lot of hand tracking unless you have mo-cap software.
...:::...:::...:::...:::...
DeviantArt

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Thanks for the reply!

Stabilizing the footage isn't something I've ever tried before but I vaguely remember seeing it done somewhere (video copilot I think) so I'll give that a go.

Should I use multiple track points in a small space (the space where the horns will cover) on either side of the head? What I had in mind was to have the subject sit with his head 3/4 on to the camera, and then turn and leave the shot whilst turning his head, revealing the other horn.I was considering putting glasses on the subject just so I can get as many track points in place as possible and then mask out the track points later.

I know I should be experimenting myself and I love doing that but I've got a really short space of time. I was unsure of the best way to cover up the base of the horns with hair. I was considering tracking a stamped piece in after effects or creating hair in Maya and matching it closely to the actors hair. I'll be shooting the footage over the weekend.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by jameshodgart : 04 April 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Hi again Suzanne,

I managed to track the head fine and get the horns on The issue I'm having is that the way I tracked the movement in Match-mover means the camera and image sequence move and the object in Maya stays in place.

So any object I place in the scene looks as if it's moving too.

Is there a way to add a wall to this scene that the horns will cast shadows onto? COuld I attach the light to the movement of the camera?

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread