Compositing with Super 8 footage?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Compositing with Super 8 footage?

So I'm working on the VFX for a short that will be shot on Super 8 film. I've done quite a bit of compositing, but never on Super 8 or such noisy footage, so I'm hoping some of you guys might have some pointers. I'll be using After Effects, or possibly Nuke if I need to.

1. Is it even possible to use green screen or blue screen footage? I'm assuming it will be far too noisy and so that would leave me with the option of shooting in another format and faking the Super 8 look by adding the grain back in. Maybe shooting a blank plate of grain to use as an overlay? I don't think it would work well to remove the grain before compositing and add it back in. I feel like the better option might even be to just rotoscope?

2. Do you think the footage can be rotoscoped cleanly? I'm wondering if the edges will be too dirty/noisy to rotoscope, or if maybe it would be fine because it is so noisy and any little inconsistencies won't be very noticeable?

Basically there are some shots where the foreground will need to be overlaid over the background, so I'm going to need to figure out a way to layer elements shot on Super 8 or find a good way to fake it good enough where it blends in with the rest of the footage.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

02 February 2013
Quote: 1. Is it even possible to use green screen or blue screen footage? I'm assuming it will be far too noisy and so that would leave me with the option of shooting in another format and faking the Super 8 look by adding the grain back in. Maybe shooting a blank plate of grain to use as an overlay? I don't think it would work well to remove the grain before compositing and add it back in. I feel like the better option might even be to just rotoscope?
Shhot green rather than blue, less noise in the green channels.
Grain plate sounds like a good idea.

Quote: 2. Do you think the footage can be rotoscoped cleanly? I'm wondering if the edges will be too dirty/noisy to rotoscope, or if maybe it would be fine because it is so noisy and any little inconsistencies won't be very noticeable?
Sure, why not?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by scrimski: Shhot green rather than blue, less noise in the green channels.
Grain plate sounds like a good idea.

Sure, why not?

Thanks for the advice! One question about a grain plate: I was planning on shooting on a flat grey background to get some grain, and then using that as an overlay. Does that seem like the best way to go about it?

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread