Zblur and Motion Blur Workflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Zblur and Motion Blur Workflow

Hi everybody!
I'm trying to find the most useful way of doing both zblur and motion blur. I am using maya and mental ray (or can use vray) for render and nuke for compositing.
I understand that the most accurate way is to render sequence with DOF and motion blur from 3d application. But it is very slow method. And I don't have any flexibility in post.
Another solution that I've realised is to render only motion blured sequence with zpass(i didn't tryed that) and tweak DOF in post.
And finally the way that i'd like to go is to render simle beauty pass with zdepth and motion vectors and fake both DOF and motion blur in nuke. That would provide me maximum speed and flexibility. The problem is that i can't find the way how to apply both effects correctly. I'm even not sure that tere is some right way. So any ideas? How to achieve good results in post?

Old 12 December 2012   #2
from a technical standpoint its impossible to make it right. if you do first the DoF then your motion vectors doenst fit to the blurred pixels and if you first do the motion blur your Z samples doesnt fit to the blurred image.

but in the end do what look best.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
How about first doing DoF to the beauty, then the same DoF to the vector pass, then MB?

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Well, in nuke if I use ZBlur node it affects all channels by default. So it blurs motion pass too. Problem is that the resulting blurred motion pass often gives not accurate motion blur. So I've realised that there is no right solution. But I prefer using ZBlur before VectorBlur. It looks better from my point of view.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread