Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

Best encoding workflow for 3d images to video

Hello I'm an experienced 3D artist and I'm trying to find the most optimal way to achieve the highest level of video encoding.

I'm rendering either 720 or 1080 still images to .tif format. Then I put it all together in adobe premiere. Once it's ready for export I use a mpeg 4 container with the H.264 codec to adobe encore.

I'm not sure what all of the settings for the h.264 mean but I set the fps to 30, the encoding pass to complex and usually leave the 2 quality sliders at default. I've tried raising them before but the video does not play as smooth.

The videos look good, but blu ray movies look better especially when I watch other 3d movies like Shrek. There seems to be less banding and compression in real blu-ray movies, even the ones I download.

So is there a better workflow to getting the absolute best quality out of a video?

Last edited by Buzert : 11-17-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
alinspired

portfolio
Ali Karim
3D VFX Artist
Alinspired Studios
Wembley, United Kingdom

Smile

hi

why dont you try not using h.264 as that is a lossy format design for the net and streaming, instead use something like the quicktime animation format as this is lossless.

although your looking at a huge file size but its great quality.

if you want it for dvd or blue ray use the mpeg2 format as this is ideal for that kind of distribution.

thanks hope it helps

Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

okay now were getting somewhere. I see now that I need to leave more info. Here is what I'm doing exactly and the criteria I need to meet.
  • my videos are about 3 mins long
  • consist of about 5000 rendered images equaling about 17gigs in total
  • I do the video editing in Premiere and export the video to encore for the encoding
  • These videos will only be played on a computer
  • The higher the video quality the better
  • I need 2 versions, one of which needs to be in the most universal format available. It must be able to play on most computers easily with what ever players the os comes with. The other version should be of the highest quality possible and if a special player is required then that's okay too as I can always provide that player to the client.
  • the max file size must not exceed 700 mb
So based on that my questions are;
  1. what is the most universal file format that has the highest level of quality?
  2. which codec that has the highest level of quality can take 17gigs of still renders down to about 700mb?

thank you in advance

Last edited by Buzert : 11-18-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Please don't bump your threads with useless post.

The software that big distributors use to encode bluray disc is really expensive, and often proprietary. I've heard it can cost up to 75K, and runs over 20 compression passes. There are a few folks on this forum that do this type of work professionally, so maybe they can chime in...

Are you uploading to the web, or trying to burn to a disc?

-AJ

Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

Neither , it will be played from a computer only.

I just tried quicktime animation and it is poor quality for such and inflated files size. I gave all the options and codec for quicktime a shot and h.264 still looks way better.

I'm giving window media another shot. Currently encoding using the max bitrate. fingers crossed.

Last edited by Buzert : 11-19-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

I've tried everything and the best results are still H.264. I'm just really surprised that nobody has a better suggestion. Not even a better encoder then adobe?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Read this
http://vimeo.com/help/compression

700 MB for 3 minutes is very doable.

Use Adobes Media Encoder, not Encore if you just need a file output and not a DVD or BR master.
Other softwares can be found in this thread.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=10&t=534735

Quote:
The software that big distributors use to encode bluray disc is really expensive, and often proprietary.
It's rather hardware based and sometimes very close to back magic, based on lots of trial and error and experience.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
It's rather hardware based and sometimes very close to back magic, based on lots of trial and error and experience.

Ahh yea. I remember working with a Matrox a long time ago on a Mac. That thing could compress h264 way faster than realtime through Apple Compressor. Very cool piece of hardware.

I've seen a few encoding/compression systems that run off a rack of server blades, but I've never seen a price attached to them. Could you share a few links that detail the types of systems big distributors use?

There are websites where you can pay to have your video compressed for you. Its around 10c per minute. Another option if you have a Vimeo pro account would be to upload the uncompressed version, and download the Vimeo compressed version.

-AJ

Old 11-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Could you share a few links that detail the types of systems big distributors use?
No, but Blackmagic offers an affordable h264 hardware recorder.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...264prorecorder/

I guess Matrox did that too, but I don't know any others.

A google search results in a few hits, but I don't know which of these are common or if there's a quasi standard hardware.

http://www.epiphan.com/products/rec...CFQu7zAodjXUAvQ
http://www.advanceddigital.ca/produ...CFdHDzAodfgIAtQ
Quote:
There are websites where you can pay to have your video compressed for you. Its around 10c per minute.
Got a link? Anyone tried one of those and where they OK?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Very cool, thanks for the links. I would imagine those advancedigital boxes that fit into a server rack are what large video websites use. I'm a huge IT nerd, and I love this kind of stuff.

As far as those pay as you go sites for compression...
This one is 5c per min...
http://zencoder.com/pricing/

This one is about $2.50 per gig...
http://www.encoding.com/features/video

I was thinking about using one of these to compress my demo reel, but I rememberd I had a friend with a Matrox

I also found an open source compression tool...
http://handbrake.fr/

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 11-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread