legmog
PRO
Tom Gasson
Freelance 3D/ VFX Artist, Part Time Lecturer
Animaedia
Bristol, United Kingdom

3D Motion Tracking questions...

Hi people

I've increasingly found my career in animation, steadily edging towards the world of blending 3D with live action footage.
I've dabbled in 3D Motion tracking in the past.... Enough to get incredibly frustrated with the process, and build up a decent knowledge of the process and the kind of things one needs to take into consideration. Suffice to say, I did not do too well with it, and put it in the 'I MUST look further into this and expand my knowledge on the subject' area of my brain, where it then laid dormant for about a hundred years until now ^^

So I guess I have 2 questions....
1 - I'm looking to purchasing 3D Tracking software.... What do you suggest for such software in terms of professional work (not just tinkering around for a laugh).
I'm looking for not only an application that facilitates this need, but ALSO has a clear, efficient and abundant resource of DOCUMENTATION concerning the ins and outs of how the program functions, how to achieve certain kinds of tracks, and what buttons to push (and what those buttons do).

So far I have had experience in Boujou and one of the early Pfhoe and Pf Track applications, and I really did not like them on account of a seeming lack of documentation and instructions that clearly explained the application. I found the applications confusing, and ended up resorting to Youtube videos by 13 year old kids, which only really explained the most basic of tracking information.

Which leads me into question 2....

2- Can you point me in the direction of any great sites / books / resources that really go in depth and EXPLAIN the logistics of 3D Tracking.... Both in general, and / or application specific.
And I mean REALLY simplistic from the ground up type stuff, for a total newbie to the world of tracking.

A lot of the tutorials I have viewed on the web for specific applications have been very lacking in my opinion.... Sorta like..
'Ok! Do do this super awesome amazing technique! All you gotta do is push this button! Then go push this button! Then this button! Then go into that window and push this button! And voila! It's done!!!'

I don't JUST want to be told what buttons to push. I'd like to know WHY I'm pushing these buttons, what purpose does it serve, what is actually going on when they are pushed, what other options do I have available etc etc.... I want to be taught how to fish, not be given a fish

I've also noticed a lot of tutorial documentation in terms of achieving a 3D track, deals with PERFECT tracking situations on the part of the live action footage...... Perfectly lit environments with LOTS are areas of high contrast, with overly simplistic camera movement.

So yeah! Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated

Last edited by legmog : 11-01-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Ephisus
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Loukus
Baltimore, USA

1) Syntheyes is the most robust program that isn't insanely expensive.

2) This is supposedly something of an authority on the theory, but I haven't properly read my copy of it, yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Matchmoving-T...g/dp/0782144039

Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
pingking
Expert
portfolio
michael vorberg
digital compositor
freelance
stuttgart, Germany

the machtmoving courses at fxphd are great and get you ready to start to really hardcore expert stuff

Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
JamesNZ
Frequenter
portfolio
James W
Wellington, New Zealand

Wikipedia has quite an in-depth article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_moving

Might take couple of reads to understand it though

- Jesus

Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread