Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
TRi-14
tion, animation

Send a message via AIM to TRi-14
Wink 123d catch for camera projection

Hey!
Hope you guys have played with autodesk's 123d Create software.

I have been having some troubles with modeling geometry to match images takes in say nuke or maya or whatever.

i then stumbled apon this 123d catch, and was able to quper quickly make a model of a building by taking several photos. now i can toss that model into my application and camera project onto it so i can make a camera projection setup.

how cool!

also made a model of my head very quickly and simply.

so my question is.... besides using this free app from autodesk. whats the "professional" way of doing this? i know nuke can take footage and track it, make a point cloud, then you can make a mesh from that. but how about from several images? and have it somewhat automated?

thanks in advance.

happy rendering!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
beaker
Meep!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Deke Kincaid
VR Pipeline Supervisor
DD
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to beaker Send a message via AIM to beaker Send a message via MSN to beaker Send a message via Yahoo to beaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRi-14
so my question is.... besides using this free app from autodesk. whats the "professional" way of doing this? i know nuke can take footage and track it, make a point cloud, then you can make a mesh from that. but how about from several images? and have it somewhat automated?
So if you have a set of camera images in a row, you can string them together and still do a camera track of the motion. You may need to add a 2d camera track to help the 3d camera tracker since there are such large jumps in distance between frames.

Then in nuke you can feed that camera track into the pointCloudGenerator to make a mesh. In Nuke 7 we have considerably improved making point clouds and creating meshes from them. You can even delete points now and group together points to create meshes all within the pointCloudGenerator node.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

Bundler is quite popular among vfx studios for doing this type of thing. It's free, open-source, runs locally on your machine and you can export out both the mesh (as a pointcloud) and the camera lineups (last time I checked 123d just gave you the mesh) - this means your projection cameras are automatically lined up to the mesh.

In order to mesh the point cloud you can use Meshlab (also free and opensource). Bundler also stores the projected colour in the point cloud, which you can transfer to the mesh as per-vertex colour - handy for visualising the dense triangulated mesh with textures without having to do UVs.

Downside is that it's not as easy to setup and requires a bit of technical expertise (coding/scripting) to get it going. Once it's setup it's as simple as supplying a series of images and letting it run.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
pingking
Expert
portfolio
michael vorberg
digital compositor
freelance
stuttgart, Germany

there is also autodesk imagemodeler

Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread