MatchMoving Problems

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Question MatchMoving Problems

I have always had problems achieving a perfect track in Boujou - or any other MatchMoving software. I film with the Sony HDR-XR150 at full 1920x1080 HD resolution - 29.97 frames per second - imported via Sony's PMB Software and rendered as a .tiff from Adobe After Effects CS6. Additionally - I would sometimes use the Rolling Shutter Repair effect. I film with image stabilization off and manual exposure settings.

In Boujou - I always have accurate settings that correspond across all programs such as correct frame rate - and start the automated process of tracking features + solving camera + scene geometry. However - between these stages - Boujou can start having difficulties MatchMoving my shots. Such as: multiple solves + features disappearing from certain frames + sliding issues with the 3D Solve which is really common between my shots.

I took a look at the .pdf provided with Boujou - and the shots that were included in the help files were Standard Resolution and they would track perfectly! I though it might be my camera - but again there seems nothing wrong with the footage. Sometimes - I would be happy with my shots and I would use 3DS Max as my 3D Application. But - 90% of the time - Boujou wouldn't give me a good solve.

I have tried Boujou + SynthEyes + AE CS6 Tracking - but no good results .

Here is some of my footage uploaded on SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qcrzr9

Here is even more footage:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q3uhim

Thanks anyone who is willing to help solve my problem. Much appreciated.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
The things that stand out to me is 1. your footage is interlaced, 2. it's really, really shaky. I'm not surprised that you're not getting very good solves with that, try tracking some smoother stuff There are plenty of great features in all of your videos, so try reshooting them a bit steadier.

And for the video showing the leaves on the parking spot, you could probably get away with a 2D track and then animate the Z/Y values as needed.

HTH

- Jesus

Old 09 September 2012   #3
As mentioned your footage too shaky and interlaced, only thing I can suggest is that what you must do as a beginner/learner is to try to shoot as much steady shots as possible.

I had same issues when I began to study matchmoving. Try to put in as much track points as possible.

The next thing to keep in mind would be to identify the software that you will be comfortable with and which would get you good results. I personally prefer pfTrack. By throwing in just few User Features in the shot I get an excellent track.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread