[nuke] Stereoscopic 3D shine emitting from a logo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
[nuke] Stereoscopic 3D shine emitting from a logo

Hi everyone.

I ve been working on a simple logo animation to be shown at the digital cinemas. The original logo was made 2D with simple Trapcode Shine wipe through the logo. Now the client want a stereo version of it.

Basically I just have to make the trapcode shine into 3D.

My initial attempt was

1. render out the shine alone from AE.
2. place the image sequence into a 3d Card in Nuke.
3. deform the card with DisplaceGeo node with a depth generator node (map is the shine animation itself inverted)
4. put the logo into a 3d Card
5. animate the position of the now deformed shine geometry to keep it always behind the logo.

the result was ok, have to do some doggy tricks to align the shine with the logo. but time ran out we had to put that doggy animation onto the screen in the cinemas.

well Just wondering if you guys have any better solution?

the deformation method I came up with in Nuke deforms the card according to the luminance, so the shine is not really being generated from the logo. i.e, when the rays travel to the centre, the rays should be coming from the logo and right into the viewer's eyes. the deformation method just simply push the mesh to very front because it's the brightest pixels.

I think the best way is to do it properly in 3d software. I have achieved the result in Cinema 4d but c4d can not define light shape to a object(the logo) and the area light does not have volunmetric capability.

Any ideas?

07 July 2012
You can do it all inside AE with the shine plugin. Just duplicate your footage layer with the effect on it and slide the X coordinates for the center. Basically your creating the other eye, which will see the center of the effect being slightly to the left or right of the original eye, which will change the whole projection of the ray, making it seem like it's in true 3D. Works pretty well, it's just a matter of adjusting the X coordinates to make it comfortable.

07 July 2012
thanks.

wouldn't that shift the whole shine layer to front in z?

the rays emit to the sides should be farther and the rays emit towards to the viewer should be closer to the eyes.

I have got the shine working in cinema 4d, basically I put a inversed volunmetric light behind the logo and turn the shadows into visible rays.

Now it's real 3D rays but the rays are not as sharp as trapcode Shine. I have tried many diffrent settings but the rays are still quite blury.

07 July 2012
You're not shifting the whole layer that shine is applied to, inside the shine effect parameters, you're just shifting the origin point in X. So that left and right eyes are basically producing shine with slightly different angles.

07 July 2012
Wow great idea!!

never thought it could be such a breeze..

thanks!

07 July 2012
no problem, glad it worked for ya!

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread