The Showdown - character - Gru / PaulC

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2003
what package are you using?
If its maya i saw a gnomon video on facial rigging and it had the top eyelid opening blend shape connected to the upward rotation of the eyeball by way of set driven key.

if thats what someone else has already said then please ignore me!

06 June 2003
Thanks Littlebro!
Yep I'll be using a few sound fx, like the taping on the table sound, etc, nothing really heavy, probably a crow cheers at the end.

Milho, I think I get your point just dont really know how to do that in Max, so maybe my best shot will be to animate the lids myself.

Cheers

Photos

Flickr

06 June 2003
I'm sure I saw this driver/driven relationship for max in a 3dbuzz VTM...check out its max section. If you don't have time I'll check my VTMs after work and post it again

06 June 2003
Thanks a lot Milho, I'll try to figure that out over the weekend, I imagine is something to do with wired parameters, but not quite sure, will check 3dbuzz later.

Cheers buddy!

Photos

Flickr

06 June 2003
You're right! Wire parameters is the Set-Driven stuff in Max.

It's in the menu, animation->wire parameters / or the wireparameters dialog.

On the left side you choose the eyeball rotation and on the right side the eyelid morphtarget value....just play around I think you'll get the idea

Cheers

06 June 2003
Cheers pal!

Its friday and time

Nice!

Photos

Flickr

06 June 2003
IDEA

Mr GRU

in your animation the smoke of the cigar arrive from the character's hat :shame:
please correct that

06 June 2003
Time for a wee update, its a rough from the 3rd scene of the animation, the bad guy having a go at a raw steak while doing horrible noises with the knife as he cuts it...still quite a lot of tweeking to do, but the idea is there.

Managed to figure out how to get a more realistic eye movement. I have 2 Look At targets per eye rather than just 1 as b4, each eye look at the oposite guy eye and also at a dummy that i placed further away and wich is linked to the character head, so i can get the up and down mov as well as the eye is fairly locked on the other character.
also applied a noise controler on the eye blink to give it a more random twichy feel.

Update, 750k Cinepak

I'm rendering some more stuff, hopefully tomorrow will have some more clips to uplaod.

Cheers

Photos

Flickr

Last edited by grury : 06 June 2003 at 01:02 AM.

06 June 2003
I'll be interested to see how you this turns out. I imagine a staring contest to be quite a drawn out affair so i think you may have your work cut out for you portraying the tension in a 20 second animation. Looking good though, looking forward to next update.

"You're tall aren't you"!!

06 June 2003
yep Matty, I'm trying to make the most of the character(s) facial expressions as there is not much phisical action going on, I'm keeping it to under 3 sec per shot, to put as much tension as possible into the bild up and also make the most of the 20 sec max limit...well, thats what makes it a challenge...
In the end my team mate, Paul C, was able to create a second character that i've just rigged and I'm now starting to animate.

Heres a update comp of the 1st 3 shots of the baddy, theres a knife going trough the hands of the guy and some timing/pose issues on the last shot that need to be fixed, as for the 1st shot i feel thats pretty much done...C&C welcome

Update, Sorenson3, 1.3Mb [/SIZE]

Cheers

Photos

Flickr

06 June 2003
I like it alot. Maybe for comedy effect each time you see the clock in the background it has gone up by some ridiculous amount to portray how long they have been there?

"You're tall aren't you"!!

06 June 2003
Yep Matty that was the idea. perhaps have a very fast clock inbetween cuts, as the clock wont be visible in all of the shots.

cheers

Photos

Flickr

06 June 2003
That's nice stuff Gru, I had a nice laugh....

I noticed that the movement of the knife while cutting the steak is very blocky. Some ease in/out graph tweaking should handle this....

Cheers (and guess what...soon weekend again)

06 June 2003
yeah Milho, you quite right there, i put a ease at the end of each stroke but obviouslly was a bit too much, i want it to feel like his putting some pressure while it cutts trough the middle, and then get loose, for sure will have to play with those curves a bit more.

cheers, for your input!

Photos

Flickr

06 June 2003
very nice ... heheheh ... form story to the picture process , i like it

share thread