Earthquake - VFX Challenge - Arioch

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2002
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Feels like I'm falling behind on this challenge but here's a small step further along. Just a quick test of a crack, it needs more deteil and is not integrated into the footage yet.

Crack test 128K

11 November 2002
That looks really good. It's like something I'm doing but I think yours looks better.

Keep up the good work.

11 November 2002
Yup the cracking looks really good.

Leo

11 November 2002
Talking

Nice, can you tell me how you manage to have a layer of asphalt and then a layer of ground-dirt ?

Sorry about the question....otherwise... i love the texture and the way the road cracks open

awesome

11 November 2002
CobraX,

The asphalt and the dirt are seperate textures applied to different faces of each road piece. The road surface has UVW mapping projected down on it while the dirt map is a seperate UVW map projected from the side. You can't see it on the small preview but the dirt texture tiles badly so that will be one of the first things to improve.

11 November 2002
Here's an update to the train. The textures on it right now are just placeholders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train_02.jpg (30.3 KB, 549 views)

11 November 2002
Dang man, looking good! I think I'll keep an eye on this thread. ^_^

--t.toe

11 November 2002
WOW

Looking nice!!!

gerat renders.. very accurate proportions... cool..

Can't wait!!.. hehe

Keep it up!!

Sincerely
alx

11 November 2002
gerat...the richness of the phenomen earthquakes is that is an incredible power moving things shaking things....in other threds nobody has used a heavy object (such as a train) so i guess this will improve the disaster concept....making a pole fall is something but a train being shifted!!!
great idea pal!
finish it quickkkkkkkkk!

11 November 2002
That train looks great! It's just _begging_ to be involved in some sort of natural disaster...

How are you getting on with the quake itself and integrating it into your footage?

11 November 2002
Glad you guys like the look of the train, it's the only part near completion. Astrofish, I've been having a bit of trouble matching the video footage in Max so I had to go back and get some more measurements from the location today. Hopefully I'll have something to post soon, the deadline is looming.

Also while I was at the actual scene I got a few more reference photos and some more footage but I was stopped by 2 guys from the metro authority. I guess they were called by one of the train operators, probably worried about why I was measuring things like the width of the track and the height of the station. They told me I was done and sent me off. I wish I had snapped a picture of them but they basically looked like this

:shame: :annoyed:

11 November 2002
Best ever use of smilies!

Presumeably you didn't tell them that you needed accurate measurements in order to be able destroy it properly...

I've heard it suggested that it's worth joining a film-making society just to get some 'I make films' type ID to help in these sorts of situations.

11 November 2002
Hey are you the Mike Johnson who made that "Devil went down to Georgia" animation?

Ezra

11 November 2002
Astrofish - that film-making society thing is a good idea, not sure it would have helped with those guys because the MTA actually has a film division that would probably want me to buy a filming permit.

E.Z. - No that's not me unfortunatly. Are you talking about the stop motion animation version sung by Les Claypool? Great video, I havn't seen anything else that uses that song.

11 November 2002
Yeah that's the one. I saw it a few years ago and the name stuck with me. Guess it's not the most uncomon name

share thread