Irirangi the spirit talker

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2011

Kia ora (Greetings in Maori) my names Ken and I'm very excited to bring this thread to CGSociety that I and a team of artists are working on atm.

The story Irirangi has always been on my list to do for a long time now but it has always been that case of when. It's strongly influenced by the NZ Maori culture and some of the Maori Myths which include Tane Mahuta Lord of the forests. In many illustrations and designs of Maori gods there have been distinct attributes to them throughout. I thought it was about time I took my take on it and bring it into the medium of 3D which everyone loves so much. Set in a post apocalypse time and era the story will strongly revolve around the character and how we see him through the environment. The idea of the Maori culture is also set as if the European never came to the shores of NZ.

(Prologue)
Torn by their lust for War the Maori had lost control and the Taniwha who stood as guardians of their time, all but evaporated. The war between Maori upset the balance of the earth and Mother Nature wasnít happy. Summoned were waves of meteors which destroyed all who lived on the planet. Suffering from the tragic even not many survived with what they had villagers spread throughout the world trying to find food and shelter.

(Base)
Hundreds of years later when the land started to grow back, Maori had all disappeared and very few with the bloodline survived. Irirangi is a descendant one of the last living with the Maori bloodline. He travels the sea in search for land and answers from the gods.

Irirangi finds land at the top of this mountainous cliff. He climbs to the top to find a graveyard of stone statueís and overgrown plantation. Everything is so enormous. Irirangi then finds a temple with markings and carvings like no other. He enters eager to find what he is looking for. Attacked from behind, Irirangi quickly draws his weapon. The attack sends the spirit off toward a flame pillar sitting in the middle of the temple. The flame magically turns into stone. Irirangi is then sucked into the stone teleporting him into another world.

The rest of the story I think I will keep hidden so we donít give away too much. And if anyone who is going to help Iíll send them more info.

Now: Working purely on the Concept design e.g. characters, backgrounds, sets, creatures, plantation, sculptures, and temple.

Current Deadline: Pre-Production 31st May 2011-05-15

Roughly 15 people helping on the project. If anyone wants to help with the current deadline feel free to contact me Kenworx@hotmail.com I have students helping in the project as well so itís a learning curve for them as well. For more details check out our Irirangi Website

Last edited by Kenworx : 05 May 2011 at 06:45 AM.

05 May 2011
Tane Mahuta Concept

Concept Piece done by me years ago. Tane Mahuta who is one of the Gods in the spirit world takes form as a Stone creature. Influenced a lot by the mountain creature from "Never ending story" mixed with the trolls from Fable. With loads of Foliage creating character like his beard and tree on shoulder.

05 May 2011
Taniwha living with Maori

Another piece from Jared on this

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jared_Concept_003.jpg (85.8 KB, 241 views)

05 May 2011
Character concepts

This version of Jareds concepts on Irirangi is awesome. But we are still keeping options open to whether or not we will do it in this style or not. But he has nailed the idea down there still need to come up with a lot more.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irirangi.jpg (87.0 KB, 239 views)

05 May 2011
Thumbs up Official

I'll be signing up for the official membership. Sometime Friday whoop whoop!!

05 May 2011
More Tane Mahuta concepts.

05 May 2011
Here are some rough storyboard thumbnails of scene's

05 May 2011
Lightbulb junior compositor

hi
i m a junior compositor fun of vfx think and i dont have experience or show reel or somthing just learning
if its not problem to have some one not in the same place(contry) ,Does not have a big Qualifications .
maybe i can help (vfx_man@hotmail.fr)

05 May 2011
Welcome to the team collab forum Kenworx.
Exceptional work you have so far.

05 May 2011
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by realroubla: hi
i m a junior compositor fun of vfx think and i dont have experience or show reel or somthing just learning
if its not problem to have some one not in the same place(contry) ,Does not have a big Qualifications .
maybe i can help (vfx_man@hotmail.fr)

Hey JuniorCompositor,

I'm not sure what I can get you to do without knowing what you can do, but being from another country is no problem. But I'll email you and we will see what we can work out.

Thanx to Lucy Carpenter who has also offered her services with the project. We hope to have more work from everyone up soon.

Stay tune.

05 May 2011
I would like to take participate if its not to late.I could create some concept art,do some modeling and texturig.

Originally Posted by Kenworx:

Kia ora (Greetings in Maori) my names Ken and I'm very excited to bring this thread to CGSociety that I and a team of artists are working on atm.

The story Irirangi has always been on my list to do for a long time now but it has always been that case of when. It's strongly influenced by the NZ Maori culture and some of the Maori Myths which include Tane Mahuta Lord of the forests. In many illustrations and designs of Maori gods there have been distinct attributes to them throughout. I thought it was about time I took my take on it and bring it into the medium of 3D which everyone loves so much. Set in a post apocalypse time and era the story will strongly revolve around the character and how we see him through the environment. The idea of the Maori culture is also set as if the European never came to the shores of NZ.

(Prologue)
Torn by their lust for War the Maori had lost control and the Taniwha who stood as guardians of their time, all but evaporated. The war between Maori upset the balance of the earth and Mother Nature wasnít happy. Summoned were waves of meteors which destroyed all who lived on the planet. Suffering from the tragic even not many survived with what they had villagers spread throughout the world trying to find food and shelter.

(Base)
Hundreds of years later when the land started to grow back, Maori had all disappeared and very few with the bloodline survived. Irirangi is a descendant one of the last living with the Maori bloodline. He travels the sea in search for land and answers from the gods.

Irirangi finds land at the top of this mountainous cliff. He climbs to the top to find a graveyard of stone statueís and overgrown plantation. Everything is so enormous. Irirangi then finds a temple with markings and carvings like no other. He enters eager to find what he is looking for. Attacked from behind, Irirangi quickly draws his weapon. The attack sends the spirit off toward a flame pillar sitting in the middle of the temple. The flame magically turns into stone. Irirangi is then sucked into the stone teleporting him into another world.

The rest of the story I think I will keep hidden so we donít give away too much. And if anyone who is going to help Iíll send them more info.

Now: Working purely on the Concept design e.g. characters, backgrounds, sets, creatures, plantation, sculptures, and temple.

Current Deadline: Pre-Production 31st May 2011-05-15

Roughly 15 people helping on the project. If anyone wants to help with the current deadline feel free to contact me Kenworx@hotmail.com I have students helping in the project as well so itís a learning curve for them as well. For more details check out our Irirangi Website

05 May 2011
Mr Williams at ure service

I'm able to assist u on this project.Ive Already submitted some information on your web page.

Originally Posted by Kenworx: More Tane Mahuta concepts.

05 May 2011
Hey Val,

I don't seem to be able to email you postdelivery notice failure. So can you give it another go. Basically I asked if you have a folio of some kind for me to find your strengths so we can go from there. ?

05 May 2011
Let me email u some imagestill from past wrok

i han't got a demo reel but i can send u image stills of wat ive done if that method is ok.
concepts and modeling.

Originally Posted by Kenworx: Hey Val,

I don't seem to be able to email you postdelivery notice failure. So can you give it another go. Basically I asked if you have a folio of some kind for me to find your strengths so we can go from there. ?

05 May 2011
Thumbs up

Its a very good idea if you are interested in this field of work that you create a online portfolio and work on another physical portfolio. All my students have some sort of portfolio with what ever they can put up. Its apart of professional development, then again I know industry professionals who have a good enough reputation that nothing of theirs is online. But if you are just starting start posting, and building a portfolio from the beginning.

Do feel free to email me when you have a chance would love to see some of your work.

Thread Closed share thread