ovspianist
for ILM!

portfolio
Chuang Niu
FX TD/FX Artist
Shenzhen, China

Send a message via ICQ to ovspianist Send a message via MSN to ovspianist
Yeah, some progress i need to tell you.

First is i found a free script to do debris in a more automatic and controllable way, i'm testing it for better integration in our project, and i'm looking for the best way to keep as much information as possible, so that you guys can make more decision easily.

Second i'm trying to solve maya fluid system problem in texturing, both to render and simulate fluid for explosion is hard, i have to say unfortunately, but I WILL GET IT OUT quite soon, for now, i'm using the shot i'm doing at work experimenting and get a quite better result than i could do before. I'll post a sample next time i get a break.

Third for maya particles' rendering quality, i've learnt a lot from my friends working on maya dynamics, both technically and artistically.

Forth! I WAS THINKING TO BUY A NEW COMPUTER! currently this is a little bit slow.

All these are for preparing more to bring out better result, don't want to rush it if there're still things we can improve.

I'll try to put out a smoke test and a debris building process as soon as possible, I did some test in my studio, but i'm not allowed to send it out. i'll find some time to recreate it in my own computer, but quality will sacrifice quite a bit.

good luck!

if (someone.career == CG) {
lifespanPerPerson -= rand(5,10);
}

OMG! You did that?!

Last edited by ovspianist : 07-17-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #62
donShole
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Lez Wright
Cardiff, GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdistortion
Donshole is likely going to do the animation in Maya as I mentioned earlier. I'm hoping to get in touch with him and we can get going on that in August. For this month, I'm hoping to try a small render with some basic animation done with Modo401's new animation tools.

SD,
If you can email me the bot model, I can start looking at the rigging and approach to animation. We could still consider animating in MB - but that will need bones and weights in LW. Oh the memories...
A pointcache is probably the simplest way to work.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #63
softdistortion
Collaborationist

portfolio
______________ softdistortion.com collabunlimited.com
______________ CURRENTLY IN
Canada

Send a message via ICQ to softdistortion Send a message via MSN to softdistortion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovspianist
I'll try to put out a smoke test and a debris building process as soon as possible, I did some test in my studio, but i'm not allowed to send it out. i'll find some time to recreate it in my own computer, but quality will sacrifice quite a bit.

Ok, keep us updated on how you make out.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #64
softdistortion
Collaborationist

portfolio
Canada

Send a message via ICQ to softdistortion Send a message via MSN to softdistortion
Quote:
Originally Posted by donShole
SD,
If you can email me the bot model, I can start looking at the rigging and approach to animation. We could still consider animating in MB - but that will need bones and weights in LW. Oh the memories...
A pointcache is probably the simplest way to work.

I'll set it up in the FTP and let you know the login details when it is ready for you.

Not sure if pointcaching from Maya is importable to LW or Modo. Was looking at PointOven but I don't have The right version of LW and the Modo plugin is just a Beta. :(

Other option would be to get one of you Maya guys to do setup and rendering?

Last edited by softdistortion : 07-22-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #65
donShole
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Lez Wright
Cardiff, GB

I think I posted a link to this back in the day, but we didn't get round to testing it : http://maya2lw2.faulknermano.com/index.html

Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #66
softdistortion
Collaborationist

portfolio
Canada

Thanks Lesa, I looked at it...an issue I think I see is the workflow is specifically for this> "pre-defined workflow, which is to model in LightWave, animate in Maya, texture, light and render back in LightWave. "

That would mean the UV's would be lost on this already textured model.

I'll check around a bit on the LW and Modo forums I guess, to see if they know a best practice method..otherwise...dust of MB and it's back to the good old days.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #67
donShole
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Lez Wright
Cardiff, GB

Does LW have UV transfer tools? These could used to restore the uvs on the animated model. it's worth experimenting anyway.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #68
ovspianist
for ILM!

portfolio
Chuang Niu
FX TD/FX Artist
Shenzhen, China

Hey all, i finally have put a demo video!

this voronoi script is made by some guys in cgtalk, maya dynamics part, they've done a beautiful job for this, this is one of the best scripts i've ever seen, and it's fast! the script creates convex polygons which are best for rigid body simulation, in nima(physx for maya plugin) convex mesh are supported very well and simulating at a very astonishing rapid speed! and we can easily bake every chunk's transform information to animation curve. in this case we'll have a smooth workflow, well at least in maya part.

after the rigid body sim done, we'll have a solid framework for fluid simulation which is definitely going to be a slow process.

I'm currently preparing for my new computer, balancing the price and the functionality... that's a very tough job to do. with this oooold computer, i think i can do a demo video for a script, that won't be too slow.

and the new computer will be(almost decided):
2*Quad Core Xeon E5506, 2.1G.
12G memory.
1300G Hard Drive.
Quadro FX 1800.
it's a dell workstation, will take me too much to pay........

more stuff are going to be out after i got the new computer! for now they're just a little bit slow...

ok, here's the video.
please help me transfer this video to your blog, SD.
http://www.vimeo.com/5823924
and um... sorry for my english speaking, god it's not a talk show, right?! haha OMG...

Latest Bad News: vimeo failed to convert my video...don't know why, will check it when i get home tonight.

}

OMG! You did that?!

Last edited by ovspianist : 07-30-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #69
softdistortion
Collaborationist

portfolio
Canada

donShole-
yes, we could use LW or preferably Modo UV tools (because they are better) to transfer UVs back, but I'd rather try to leave them intact if possible...but as you rightly suggest, it's doable and an option if needed.

On another front-
From a reply I got it seems the Pointoven plugin does work with Modo 401/Maya>
"I just happen to have used Point Oven yesterday for the first time to export an animated (smooth bind + blendshapes) mesh from maya 2009 back into modo 401. Point Oven created a .lwo and .mdd file from Maya, which i imported back into modo. Right-click, apply mdd, and it worked."

Also There is this plugin for Maya-we could try instead of .obj for model export from Modo to Maya. It would be better than .obj because it claims to preserve multiple Uvs. I can only hope it also does a better job than .obj exporters at not flipping polys!

If you could install it I can send some model parts in Modo file format to see if it is any good for us.
http://www.battlefleet.net/LXO2Maya/
Let me know when you are ready.

I will look at the Point oven site and see how much it would cost to get us setup to go try that route.

Last edited by softdistortion : 07-30-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #70
softdistortion
Collaborationist

portfolio
Canada

ovspianist- Sounds promising, and that's a sweet spec'd workstation you're considering...Looking forward to seeing what sims you can tear through with a machine like that and the speedy pipeline you outlined above.

Let me know when you get sorted with your vid clip upload.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #71
softdistortion
Collaborationist

portfolio
Canada

Tracking is under way and Victor is coming through like a champ.
Here's part of his last email-

"...I have something better already, but I had to involve one of the engineers of PFtrack into itÖ. Iíll take a few more days, but Iím getting there. It is really weird to have to track a shot that is longer than one minute.. usually lengths are about 20 seconds max, so this get into a new problem of what to do with the residual error between frames and how to compensate it."

We are so fortunate to once again have a small but incredibly talented crew of genuinely nice people to work with ...BIG thanks to all of you!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #72
ovspianist
for ILM!

portfolio
Chuang Niu
FX TD/FX Artist
Shenzhen, China

SD, i have to say you're welcome on this, and i like you as our project leader.
and the computer's chosen with the help of tech expert in our studio(i'm really stupid about hardwares...), he said the cpu is not selling out there in any shops, but we can get it contained in a dell workstation. one of our branches bought some of these workstation, and they're currently testing the performance and bugs, i hope it goes well and i can buy one after all those.

i think the video will correctly converted in a couple of minutes, it's still in the queue. and umm.. don't expect too much, coz right now it's just a demo, to show you what exactly the script does for us.

this is the new link:
http://www.vimeo.com/5843330

Good luck with you all!

}

OMG! You did that?!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #73
softdistortion
Collaborationist

portfolio
Canada

ovspianist-Thanks. New gear is always a nice boost with a jump to a system like that...been considering a new box myself, so please keep us updated on how you make out.

It's early Friday morning as I am writing this post, and I'm leaving in a bit for some time with my family, and no internets access...will be a few days till I get your video properly set up on the Journal site but I'll try to do it as soon as I return.

I did get your vid of the script downloaded and it's very intriguing...Looking forward to seeing more...also, thanks for doing a screen cap with explanation...it's invaluable for us as a team in more than one way, and also valuable for others having a chance to see the nitty gritty details of what we are doing on this project.

See you all in a few days.

Last edited by softdistortion : 07-31-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #74
donShole
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Lez Wright
Cardiff, GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdistortion
donShole-

If you could install it I can send some model parts in Modo file format to see if it is any good for us.
http://www.battlefleet.net/LXO2Maya/
Let me know when you are ready.

Installed and good to go.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #75
sllink
Oh oh pick me, pick me!

sllink
Togo

Thats is a really neat function in Maya there the way it broke up the block into pieces based on the particle!! Wow!!.

Hi eveyone Im still around. Hope all is well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovspianist
SD, i have to say you're welcome on this, and i like you as our project leader.
and the computer's chosen with the help of tech expert in our studio(i'm really stupid about hardwares...), he said the cpu is not selling out there in any shops, but we can get it contained in a dell workstation. one of our branches bought some of these workstation, and they're currently testing the performance and bugs, i hope it goes well and i can buy one after all those.

i think the video will correctly converted in a couple of minutes, it's still in the queue. and umm.. don't expect too much, coz right now it's just a demo, to show you what exactly the script does for us.

this is the new link:
http://www.vimeo.com/5843330

Good luck with you all!

Thread Closed share thread