softdistortion's VFX collab mission

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2009   #46

Another new clip on modeling a 3D set from photographs so we can create virtual camera shots is up HERE at the Vidjournal site

Last edited by softdistortion : 06 June 2009 at 09:48 PM.

Old 06 June 2009   #47
That looks great! Very educational too. Could you make a simple shot with a sphere or something moving between those pilars with some panning? Very curious how it will look.

DW IV:
My entry

Old 06 June 2009   #48
Very cool SD. Cant wait to see it in action.

Old 06 June 2009   #49
Thanks guys...the candy shots will be coming soon.

Old 07 July 2009   #50
UPDATE:

VFX shoot part II upcoming- New footage and also some re shooting to smooth tracking in the more technically challenging shots- namely a traveling shot that has the camera circle outside 4 pillars with the robot at the center.

We had so much motion blur from the pillars passing and occluding the frames that tracking errors shot through the roof and made a full 360 fall apart. We may have to divide this shot but re shooting with less motion might fix it. We have Victor Wolansky (you may recognize his name from FXphd.com) joining the project as Matchmove TD - working in Syntheyes and PFtrack

------------

Re pillar impact sims...Some interesting info on the simulation in Transformers II>
"The other noteworthy development was that the breaking apart of a pyramid top was eight times bigger than the previous ILM rigid simulation record. It only required four or five shots but that took seven months just to create the simulation of the blocks tumbling and being torn apart by Devastator. TD Christopher Horvath oversaw the pyramid sim work.

"It has caused our simulation folks to improve everything and we've got some really clever people that understand cinematic movement better, not just the technical elements," Farrar says. "We push everybody to observe what is real."

This caught my eye, especially after our team having discussed what our concrete pillar would really do after a copbot impact...If all goes well, we'll try to do 2 versions...one realistic and one over the top. The second should give some freedom to ovspianist, our Sim TD to show what he can do.

We talked it over and hope to see some more sim tests from him soon.

Still have a lot of work to finish the Factory Pano job but hope to see it ease up a bit in August as I come to the end of that one. Besides the online setup and deliverables for the client there's also a hardcover photo book being prepared.

Last edited by softdistortion : 07 July 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Old 07 July 2009   #51
Sorry to post this so late.

I finally got some time free from work, just out of the mad busy nights.
Ok, here's what i'm thinking:

for this time, i'll definitely do an over the top version, with more detailed debris and internal structure, smoke, particle fx, fluid simulation... and in a more violent manner like a transformers fight a bit, let's see how far i can push this shot. Since i'm still a fx guy, i keep try doing things with pure dynamic contribution, instead of playing tricks on other things such as textures or lighting.

and i have a question here, do you think it's better to do this sim in a different scene like one in the video reference or in the garage with pillars?

if (someone.career == CG) {
lifespanPerPerson -= rand(5,10);
}

OMG! You did that?!

Old 07 July 2009   #52
Thanks Philippe...also aplogize for my lateness replying. I ended up with another opportunity that I had to jump on before it vanished.I hope to wrap it up this month.

In between we did do a second location shoot in the garage with the 5D, it is less blur and all, but I have to say I don't like it as much as the first clips we did. This cleaner set looks sterile.

Anyway, I have to process all the files and get them to our matchmove guy so that is up next.

Regarding your question. We will still do all the FX sequences in this garage since we have all the HD footage and backplates. I will eventually get back to image modeling the set from hirez the backplates and send you a Maya scene.

Also Sllink and I still need to do the pillar models with break away sections modeled for closeups .

Please keep developing the FX so that when I catch up you are ready to start integrating with the scene I will send. Also keep the scale in mind so we can keep it real world.

I'm also talking with Donshole re animation and it looks like he is going to work in Maya so that is also on the boards. I need to re rez all the 4k textures and consolidate the UVs for export to Maya. Before all that we need to know I can get the animation back to my end to render. Might have to buy Pointoven I suppose.

Old 07 July 2009   #53
Lightbulb

this looks fantastic Softdistortion! I've learned quite a bit from this too, I'll be watching this thread and your site!

TEEN TITANS - FIRES OF AZARATH

Old 07 July 2009   #54
SD, i have a question though, why don't you use markers for footage tracking? doing a non-blurred version and add motion blur in post, um...that's an irritating job to do, well at least to me. i actually think painting out the markers in compositing could be better, and this is what others in production do usually. especially since we've got a very detailed texture of the set, and are going to rebuild the scene, rendering a patch over the marker area with textures we already have is a good solution for me.

this is just a thought.
Hope it helps you if you've really missed this option.

}

OMG! You did that?!

Last edited by ovspianist : 07 July 2009 at 06:54 PM.

Old 07 July 2009   #55
Originally Posted by Chrisguy: this looks fantastic Softdistortion! I've learned quite a bit from this too, I'll be watching this thread and your site!

Thanks for letting me know you are enjoying the thread and info.
The sister site I'm running for the pano project will also have some vids up soon showing my flow for that type of work, some of it overlapping with what is being done on the VFX project.
Trying to shoot some interesting behind the scenes footage too with info/commentary.

Old 07 July 2009   #56
Originally Posted by ovspianist: SD, i have a question though, why don't you use markers for footage tracking? doing a non-blurred version and add motion blur in post, um...that's an irritating job to do, well at least to me. i actually think painting out the markers in compositing could be better, and this is what others in production do usually. especially since we've got a very detailed texture of the set, and are going to rebuild the scene, rendering a patch over the marker area with textures we already have is a good solution for me.

this is just a thought.
Hope it helps you if you've really missed this option.

Appreciate the suggestion and it is a good idea. And I am with you on not going post with motion blur...I think real film blur looks best anyways. If we use the no blur footage I think it will stay as was shot..there is at least a small bit of DOF in the new footage.

From what I understand the issues on this clip are caused by trying to do a really long 360 around 4 pillars.

The errors between frames accumulating over the length of the clip from motion blur plus the pillars occluding the markers and killing them all at each passing...well it stinks, but hopefully with this new footage we will get our tracked shot.

The other option is we track it in sections and edit between the shots which would be fine too.

Last edited by softdistortion : 07 July 2009 at 03:30 AM.

Old 07 July 2009   #57
Just spotted this...5star+ VFX/simulation breakdowns for inspiration HERE .

Last edited by softdistortion : 07 July 2009 at 01:10 AM.

Old 07 July 2009   #58
Originally Posted by softdistortion: Just spotted this...5star+ VFX/simulation breakdowns for inspiration.

spotted what? i'm not getting it.

P.S. i do remember nuke(yeah it's a 2d comp software but it also has 3d which i haven't tried yet) tracking has a switch, that allows you to grab new pattern of the markers in every customized frames, this is good i think. this way you don't have to worry too much about the markers having huge perspective change. don't know how it operates in 3d tracking software, but you know, just another thought.

Good luck with you guys.

P.S AGAIN. i'm still testing new tools for the impact scene, and another good tool i found is still in developing, by volunteers in the forum. i think that would be one of the most useful tools in our project!

}

OMG! You did that?!

Last edited by ovspianist : 07 July 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Old 07 July 2009   #59
Sorry bout forgetting the link for the FX breakdown HERE

Old 07 July 2009   #60
The Latest HD footage has been processed and is in the hands of Victor for tracking. He's working on the new classes for fxPHD so may be a bit before he gets to our files.

While I was back shooting the factory panoramas I am trying to wrap up this month, I also had a chance to shoot some excellent broken concrete refs that can be used for our hirez pillars!

Sllink and I are both updated to Modo401 so once I get back in gear we will be able to easily share the model work on the pillars.

Donshole is likely going to do the animation in Maya as I mentioned earlier. I'm hoping to get in touch with him and we can get going on that in August. For this month, I'm hoping to try a small render with some basic animation done with Modo401's new animation tools.

ovspianist- Any progress on the sims?

**We also have a VFX facilities' senior Flame artists volunteering to do some compositing for us on this.

Last edited by softdistortion : 07 July 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Thread Closed share thread