softdistortion's VFX collab mission

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2009   #31
Thanks guys.

Sllink- I'll try to get you on MSN for the pillars object files
Lets work together on them in Modo since we can do all we need for detailing etc in there then we can get that to OV for the sims...we could set up a server FTP or drop box workspace to share the files maybe?

ovspianist- you have sim TD position for the pillar fx and yes, I also was thinking of leaves, DOF you mentioned. Glad you have a good eye/mind for those details, now lets see how well we can do it.

Patience required till we can get the pillar up to snuff and wrangle it over to Maya compatible files. I will try to get time to also make up a 3D backplate model export using the hires plates I shot.

Last edited by softdistortion : 06 June 2009 at 02:47 PM.

Old 06 June 2009   #32
thank you all for those.

and SD i have to say that the film i'm currently working on needs more time to take care, in the studio i work for, so sorry about that, there maybe less time for me to spend on this project. but i'll try my best, i believe that after 10 in the evening i'll be able to squeeze some time for this, and maybe also weekends... and that's all, good luck with everyone.

i hope that the transition thing will be smooth to pass.

if (someone.career == CG) {
lifespanPerPerson -= rand(5,10);
}

OMG! You did that?!

Old 06 June 2009   #33
awwww...1hr since you're assigned as TD...usually people wait a week or so before they start making posts like that.

No Offense, but you know better than us if that is enough time for you to do your end on what we are talking about doing. I'd rather you tell me you are not able to cut it now, than in a few weeks after we do the work to get things sorted into Maya for you to sim.

Old 06 June 2009   #34
Originally Posted by softdistortion: Thanks guys.

Sllink- I'll try to get you on MSN for the pillars object files
Lets work together on them in Modo since we can do all we need for detailing etc in there then we can get that to OV for the sims...we could set up a server FTP or drop box workspace to share the files maybe?

ovspianist- you have sim TD position for the pillar fx and yes, I also was thinking of leaves, DOF you mentioned. Glad you have a good eye/mind for those details, now lets see how well we can do it.

Patience required till we can get the pillar up to snuff and wrangle it over to Maya compatible files. I will try to get time to also make up a 3D backplate model export using the hires plates I shot.

Sd are you still using netdrive? If so this may allow us to share the files like before.

Sllink

Old 06 June 2009   #35
That would be good, unfortunately it doesn't work on my machine Vista64. If you are on 32 bit you could use it and I can just use my FTP client.
http://www.netdrive.net/download.html

I'll mail you the FTP details.

Last edited by softdistortion : 06 June 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Old 06 June 2009   #36
Originally Posted by softdistortion: awwww...1hr since you're assigned as TD...usually people wait a week or so before they start making posts like that.

No Offense, but you know better than us if that is enough time for you to do your end on what we are talking about doing. I'd rather you tell me you are not able to cut it now, than in a few weeks after we do the work to get things sorted into Maya for you to sim.

OMG... well i think it's still better to tell you first. i don't know what to say, i myself am quite eager to get my hands on this project, and i like the overall feeling of it, and to be be frank i'm really building my showreel right now plus i don't like the project in my studio. so don't worry about that, i'm definitely gonna do my best for this. i was just to remind you that i might be asked to work for lots of extra hours in my studio, it's damn hard to believe if i told you we have to finish 1 shot per day before deadline, currently working like mad.

so i think i'd better just do my job as fast as possible and wait for you guys to send me the files for maya.

}

OMG! You did that?!

Last edited by ovspianist : 06 June 2009 at 05:37 AM.

Old 06 June 2009   #37
Ok, ok...Maybe that was a bit huge.

It just seems like backpedaling collabitis had already hit, and we're handing an important part of the project to someone we don't know...with no visible refs!

I'm sure you can understand my concern ...possible implications of your last reply after initial eagerness to have a big chunk of this project= it's time draining and demoralizing for a small team to transfer assets for someone using another app, and then have them leave with a pipeline that's been shaped around their needs.

I'll take your reply comments as legit and we'll see where this goes...we'll take it at the pace you can handle.

Old 06 June 2009   #38
well in this case, thank you.

better you guys keep changing ideas on this thread, i can read about things on the project, in that way i can easier to make my plans and get the work done beautifully. i mean you're the leader, it's always good that you can make our path clear, so we can see what we're going to facing to, otherwise in the end it could be a mess in the situation where we're not even in the same country.

}

OMG! You did that?!

Old 06 June 2009   #39
http://www.vimeo.com/5044086

this is the pillar impact rigid body simulation.

The method i use is nothing more than rigid body sim. but i used the phyx engine which is super fast on these situation, which also means i could add a lot more debris in the scene, it should work well on shots that require high detail simulation. this is just a start, many details have to be refined. the geometries can be replaced by highrez models after this stage.

feel free to ask me if there're any questions.

}

OMG! You did that?!

Old 06 June 2009   #40
Thanks Philippe. I MSN'd comment.
-----------------
Don't want to freak anyone, however, some thoughts in general on the pillar impact FX...would appreciate comments-

After looking at both sims we have so far...I'm wondering what this really would look like in the real world. I have a feeling it would be a lot less spectacular. The more I have considered it, I think the glancing impact might not even take anything off a concrete pillar?

That would be pretty boring by Hollywood's standards. We can also just wing it and make it look as fantastical as we want... Just me thinking out loud. Probably somewhere in the middle will be just right.

Also the Robot itself should perhaps have some serious consideration. ie. the front arm that glances the pillar should probably be torn off or at least mangled..also the mandibles and face tubes etc...

CALL FOR VFX references ASSISTANCE.
Anyone that can recall some DVD movies that have some VFX similar (walls being broken through or similar??) to our efforts here please do some vid or still grabs for us as that might also help.

OR!
If you are in here browsing these forums but are more hands on that computer FX oriented...maybe someone is interested/able to do a scale model pillar -hitting it with a sledge or similar -filming the effect for us to use as a ref?...just don't do it to anyone's property!

OR help scan the web for info??
for ex> http://www.springerlink.com/content...06/fulltext.pdf

Contact me for details

Last edited by softdistortion : 06 June 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Old 06 June 2009   #41
yeah, this is the thing.

as i understand, the robot isn't moving that fast, right?

i was struggling when i tried to make it believable, as i know, robot in that size probably just damage one corner of pillar, and a little bit of debris. for my test, to do these modifications is simple enough, we just know what exactly we have to do as soon as we get the refs.

and also the first version of the test can give animators a little bit hint of how things react in this situation. even if we can do sim on the pillar, things happen on the robot still needs animators to hand key frame. and the pipeline always goes animation first and dynamics later. so that kinda depend on the animation a little.

as for the details, that's no problem, we can even use real geometry to do simulation instead of just particle instancing. if shots require, that could be much more realistic.

}

OMG! You did that?!

Old 06 June 2009   #42
We're moving in a good direction from the word go.. everything we do on this is a good step. I want to thank Sllink and you, Philippe for sims you guys have already done.
---------
Ok, details>

Robot speed will depend on what we can do to animate it realistically. The tough part imo will be to make it look realistic going from a crablike walk that speeds up till the jets take over, lifting him up and propelling him forward. If we do it right I think it will look cool and be somewhat unique, cause I don't think I have ever seen anything like that on film yet.

Then we have to consider that the garage ceiling is 8' high and the bot has only 1.5' clearance when he stands tall at 6.5'. I picture the legs folding up slightly so it should all work out.

A while back I did IK tests with the ver1 bot that Sllink showed in his Pillar impact simulation. All the legs were able to sway left and right, forward and back by binding them to a single null controller...I think we can do similar for this model and use that for the airborne shots... as it weaves in and out of the pillars the legs can all be made to swing in the right direction.

If the height clearance and the leg stup work decent then I think the perceived speed increase that the low ceilings are giving us in the shots might allow us to make the robot go pretty fast for doing a path between pillars...I'm thinking min 30MPH.

Also this is an armored or at least bullet proof robot so it could have decent body mass... A van is around 3500lbs, so the ot might be something like 5000lbs with ammo fully loaded.

Maybe something that heavy would look believable taking a chunk out of a pillar...my vision is that the glancing hit with a rounded body of the robot would equal not much pillar damage...does that matter? I don't know until we see our shots develop some more.

I wonder if it could add some reality if the first pillar does only receive minor damage with some paint scraping left behind. while the bot looses an arm...the lost arm plus impact could play well for the side flip that Sllink did in his sim. Then the full body impact on the second pillar could do more damage.

I'm not going to commit us till we get a bit further, and I also want anyone else to chime in with their take on this.

Last edited by softdistortion : 06 June 2009 at 03:38 AM.

Old 06 June 2009   #43
Updates>

Episode 09 is up- HERE

Here's something that should be of interest to anyone wanting to know more about making 3D sets out of 2D backplate images...image modeling, camera projection etc done in an app that is not available but we're fortunate eough to be using anyways. Intrigued??

I'll be posting some run through on this topic later on, but, if you've been paying attention and have some smarts, you will be able to find and unlock this video NOW andnot have to wait till it's posted!

Also a quick Explosion Reference clip ...I know it's not what we need, but I wanted to show somwthing till someone else also hops in with some refs...anyone wanna help on this??

Last edited by softdistortion : 06 June 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Old 06 June 2009   #44
Originally Posted by softdistortion: CALL FOR VFX references ASSISTANCE.
Anyone that can recall some DVD movies that have some VFX similar (walls being broken through or similar??) to our efforts here please do some vid or still grabs for us as that might also help.

From 1:20 to about 1:43 in this clip http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers...nematic-trailer

Object involved is MUCH larger and speed greater but it looks nice.

Old 06 June 2009   #45
Thanks for finding and linking that clip Lesa. Amazing work they did in there!
Will try to grab and post the relevant sections in the vfxJournal.

Let me know when you have some time to skype re the animation. Looking forward to working with you again.

Thread Closed share thread