softdistortion's VFX collab mission

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2009   #16
Sorry I missed you Sllink. It's Sunday night and I'm just about to hit the sack....we just finished a grueling weekend of shooting with the 5d. I'll probably be sorting and editing that and also all the behind the scenes stuff we also shot, over the next few days...Can you send me a link when you get something started and I'll try to catch up with you?
Thanks again for pitching in

Last edited by softdistortion : 05 May 2009 at 03:00 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #17
TEXTURES for the pillars ARE COMING>>>I PROMISE!!

In the meantime...

Still working away at it...HERE's a clip from the Canon5D shoot we did on the 9th

For those who may be curious, below is a comparison comp with the Panasonic consumer HD handycam 1080p and the 5D shooting 1080p in the lowest light section of our location.

After trying for quite a while I got back into the old factory to shoot footage while we had the 5D...trying to shoot and process 2 locations is slowing things down a bit but I have to go while I have access...Started a new journal for the FACTORY location HERE if you are interested.

Last edited by softdistortion : 05 May 2009 at 03:23 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #18
Two new updates...Textures are still coming....seriously.

Epsiode6

Epsiode7

Old 05 May 2009   #19
Posting early this week in case I get behind again by Wednesday.

Epsiode 08

Old 05 May 2009   #20
Finally Here are the pillar textures.
Anyone that wants to work with Sllink on a hirez model for the pillar impact simulation post your work in this thread.
Thnx

HIREZ>
Upright Side 01

Upright Side 02

Upright Side 03

Top Support

Top Support side

Also refs and textures for the cracked section> HERE

Old 05 May 2009   #21
the whole thing is going better and better. good luck with everyone of you.
hope that this will come really high-end look after all.

if (someone.career == CG) {
lifespanPerPerson -= rand(5,10);
}

OMG! You did that?!

Old 05 May 2009   #22
Thanks ovspianist.

Small info update on what is happening with this project>

For anyone wondering what this all about there's some info Here
The main goal is to network with other artists and see how good we can make this look.

There's just a rough script idea of 1 or 2 tech/lab coat actors doing a test run in a parking garage with this big robot. There are no storyboards...I am crunched for time and boarding was never my strong point as any of my past project team mates can swear. .

I wanted to get the the van set with air shock lifters to film real motion to coincide with the CG bot bumping into it as one of the techs steers too close to the van. I described the idea for this part of the script in this preliminary video clip... But it was too much to setup and operate along with all the other work needed on site just to shoot footage.

I'm hoping to get more on site help for another shoot in future and then we can get those extra shots...for now we're moving to a modified mini script that has some shots of the robot moving through the garage (shot from various angles plus bot's POV) and eventually have him steer too close to one of the garage support pillars clipping it and then hitting a second pillar and coming to a dead stop.

I should explain that this Robot is roughly 6.5' tall for this clip...this is because the garage is only 8' high floor to ceiling. The robots motion will need to be a blend of crablike walking switching to faster acceleration as it's rear jet thrusters are fired. Input from animators would be appreciated on how to make this work and look realistic...also if anyone has video refs of anything similar to this type of motion...let me know.

As far as I can think of we need to work out the various pillar/set models, backplates, pillar impact simulations ...also rigging and animation of the robot is still needed.

I'm getting some footage that has already been shot match moved and hope to then add the other elements.

If you are interested in helping, PM or email me to let know what input/planning help/work you think you can add to this section of the project.

PS: I'd really like to also get anyone doing work on this to record some vid clips of how their part of the project was done for people to follow the details of the work done on this and also as an overview of the project's development.

Last edited by softdistortion : 05 May 2009 at 12:32 PM.

Old 05 May 2009   #23
Hi SD,

Here are a couple of test.

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Old 05 May 2009   #24
JUST WOW! Really nice work Sllink. Thanks for the effort you put into getting it this far so fast.
Oh, and I love bot tipping...also the camera move you did on the second clip.

I guess we should move into setting up the scene and textured pillars. Let me know what your plans are form here on...I'll try to catch youand we can talk over some plans for next steps.

Also an industry simulation guy contacted about assisting on any sims we need. There's gonna be potential application hurdles- MAYA, so we should also hash workflow options we can use if he comes through as a helper. I know interapp is a pain for us, but if he is for real, I'd like to see what he can bring.

Hope to catch you soon.

Old 05 May 2009   #25
Well I wish I could take all the credit but the first pillar setup was the one that Lightfreeze provided its like I said I would try and pretty it up. Im still trying to understand the new radiosity setting in LW9.6. Anywho I used Lightfreeze's file for the side clip and my cracked pillar as the resting spot.

I see you've been busy. You know I guess we could see if others have some thoughts on methods or recommendations. Its all fun so I will keep playing and I guess go a head and texture those pillars and re-rerun the simulation again. Let me know if there is something else you think I can be doing.

Last edited by sllink : 05 May 2009 at 03:27 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #26
Ok, I'll let Lightfreeze know we used his file.

When I was talking to th simulations guy I mentioned in my last post he said he was thinking it would be best to have a low poly version of the pillar for the simulaition and then link that to the hirez model for the render, so I don't know if you need to redo the simulation...maybe if he is still reading this he can chime in??

I agree we could use more input...maybe you could take the lead on asking for input at our project threads at SQ and LUX forums?

Re textured model,sounds good.... I could help with UV/texture if you like.

Old 05 May 2009   #27
Yeah, i'm philippe, the fx guy.

i've seen the simulations that sllink did, that's pretty much a good starting point, but it's ok on the test stage, when it comes to the final sim it basically involves all the other effect elements such as smoke, sparks, steel bars, fire... and your timing during the frames very after the hit is good for preview too. well, if we want the output comes really photorealistic then we need to work more on the details. and did you sim that in lightwave? well coz i'm a maya guy.

if you need me to take the technical director job that's ok, or if you feel that level of complexity will come out of your time then i could do the shot.

and to SD, i wanna say that if you want it more realistic you could add a little more subtle details such like the falling leaves being dragged by the robot foot which maybe is already in your consideration, and things like the character interacting with the circumstances in the not focused area, just to fool the eyes and affect the subconscious a little bit, you know, subconscious picks up little articles out of focus and get affected by such. yeah it's a little psychology, but it helps.

Good luck with you guys.

if (someone.career == CG) {
lifespanPerPerson -= rand(5,10);
}

OMG! You did that?!

Old 05 May 2009   #28
This looks really cool. *Subscribed* Good luck

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."

Old 05 May 2009   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovspianist
Yeah, i'm philippe, the fx guy.

i've seen the simulations that sllink did, that's pretty much a good starting point, but it's ok on the test stage, when it comes to the final sim it basically involves all the other effect elements such as smoke, sparks, steel bars, fire... and your timing during the frames very after the hit is good for preview too. well, if we want the output comes really photorealistic then we need to work more on the details. and did you sim that in lightwave? well coz i'm a maya guy

Hi philippe!! Welcome!! Go ahead and take the lead Im no fx guy. The pillars are pretty low poly. I think in the end it will come together in modo but I could be wrong.

Old 05 May 2009   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by softdistortion
Ok, I'll let Lightfreeze know we used his file.

When I was talking to th simulations guy I mentioned in my last post he said he was thinking it would be best to have a low poly version of the pillar for the simulaition and then link that to the hirez model for the render, so I don't know if you need to redo the simulation...maybe if he is still reading this he can chime in??

I agree we could use more input...maybe you could take the lead on asking for input at our project threads at SQ and LUX forums?

Re textured model,sounds good.... I could help with UV/texture if you like.

I can get the object files to you for texturing if you like?

Thread Closed share thread