[Short Film] - Project I.C.E [Celshaded Science Fiction Project]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2005
Talking

Originally Posted by b00bie: yummi ^^ i guess modelers can start now eh? =D

There are a couple of things ready to go modeling wise but their is still alot of concept art yet to be created and to be decided on for the final look. So we will see ...we will see.

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."

01 January 2005
Position interested in:
Mechanical modeler (and junior character modeler?)
Applications you use:
Maya 6.0
Why do you want to join this project?
Seems interesting, and is the sort of stuff I like--plus, I'd be interested in working with other people on a project, and strengthening my modeling skills. I also wouldn't mind giving one of the character's a shot too...I'm not too practiced in making the whole bodies...

samples of my character work:
here is a head that never got finished: The Fatman (texture was unfinished)
here is a head that was deemed "pretty much finished":
The Professor
here are a few, from a character that never got finished: Wizard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
my current WIP (mechanical):
reference image: tachikoma reference image
my progress: tachikoma WIP image
How much time can you devote per week:
7 hours or more ( school and work too )
What's your time zone / location?
GMT -08:00 (Pacific) - Oakland, CA, USA

plus, when the tachikoma is finished... perhaps, we can use it? (or maybe a modified version of it?) it is primarily nurbs, meaning texturing would probably be horrid. procedural probably wouldn't look too bad though, I have this theory that if I used dirtmap as an alpha channel for a layered shader... there could be the main shader, and a secondary shader (probably a scratched up shader) that would be revealed where the dirtmap would be, which is edges and where stuff touches etc... I have yet to test it out.

Cheers,

01 January 2005
Thumbs up

Gremlin - Id love to have you join, your modeling skills are excellent. Join our forums so I can get you access to the team section. That way you can get up to speed on whats going on. My main 3D modeler is going to love you lol.... here is some of his work http://www.madkarma.com/fenchbaum/

Welcome aboard...

BTW - that tachikoma model... I can find a place for it....trust me

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."

01 January 2005
Talking modelling

Position interested in: Character/ Cel Shading Modelling OR Mechanical Modelling

Applications you use: Maya 6.0, Photoshop, Combustion 3

Why do you want to join this project? It seems very interesting and there are a lot of talented people already working on this project. I have been impressed!

How much time can you devote per week: 5-10 hours

What's your time zone / location? USA -- Nashville, Tennessee

I have a "sort of" demo reel online...This is more of just a short video that I made of all my stuff, by no means is it an "official demo reel" of my work, but its the only thing I have online right now... http://members.tripod.com/harpethdrumline/DemoReel.WMV

01 January 2005
Talking

csc2h - had a hard time viewing your reel any other way I can see it?

01 January 2005
Sorry bout that, just copy and paste that link into a new window...the server it is on acts really strange a lot...

01 January 2005
Talking A few more good men... or women

Things are moving along very well with our project right now even though this thread seems a little dead. But its far from the reality you see here, trust me.

There a few more skilled positions that we need to have filled:

1. One more concept artist - Someone that is very good at creating (Human) Characters.

2. Texture Artist (non celshaded) - Someone that knows their way around UV's and posses at least intermediate painting skills.

3. Animators/Riggers - Anyone with animation skills using Lightwave, Messiah or Motion builder preferred.

Thanks!

01 January 2005
Sorry, just subscribing to the thread...

I'm a concept artist/modeler/graphic designer who needs to check his schedule. It sounds like an interesting project, but I'm not going to commit if there's a risk that I'll have to back out before delivering what I agree to.

It would help if the story was available somewhere to read so that I can get a feel for the project. It might help me make some adjustments to my current commitments.

Cheers,
AJE

Lightwave/Maya/Photoshop
Pencil/Paper

"Impossible is nothing."

01 January 2005
Cool 3D Modeler: Mechanical

Hello,

I just came across this post so hopefully you guys are still looking for artists to work with. My name is Aron Kerr. I am a 3D modeler and I really enjoy working with mechanical objects like vehicles, machinery and weapons. My work has been featured in a couple commercials, games and websites mainly for small companies but some stuff you may have seen. Currently my site is down (forgot to renew my domain and somebody else bought it. Doh!) so if you would like to see some examples of my work please email me at fooplwg@earthlink.net or give me a call on my cell at 503.317.5217.

(hope whoeve posted with this formating doesn't mind me using it. Looks really clean and easy to read ).

Position interested in:
Mechanical modeler Applications you use:
Lightwave 8 mainly but I am also skilled in a ton of other programs.

Why do you want to join this project?
The story seemed pretty intersting but mainly the concept art caught my attention. Very interesting artwork. I am looking for a good way to display my artwork in something different than the usual demo reel and this seems like a great way to do it. Plus working with a lot of talented artists on an animated short sounds like a blast.

How much time can you devote per week:
I think I can do about 10-14 hours a week. Possibly more. Really depends on how much work I am doing outside of the project during a given week.

What's your time zone / location?
GMT -08:00 (Pacific) - Portland, OR USA

Thank you for your time. I look forward to working on this poject.

Sincerely,
Aron Kerr
FoopCGI
503.317.5217 | fooplwg@earthlink.net
www.foopcgi3d.com| 971.322.8448 |aronkerr@foopcgi3d.com

fooplwg@earthlink.net

01 January 2005
Cool

foop: Nice to see another waver out there with interest . Defintely join our forums and private message me on them when you do. We can then take it from there and believe me, we have plenty to do.

AJE: Would love to see what skills you have in the area of concept art especially human character creation. In regards to the story what I can do is post what we have internally and that is the back story. This will give you a generally Idea of what is going on regarding the universe that surrounds ICE. There are alot of things we have going on internally and are not prepared to release that information publically. I hope that the backstory will be enough

01 January 2005
Cool So you want to know about ICE

[ The Back Story ]

In the year 3041 A.D. on one of Saturn's distant moons, the Rashard Institute of Xenogenesis research and technology was rapidly advancing in the areas of Bio-warfare and hyper induced gene-therapy. For several decades the Rashard Institute had been secretly operating under the radar while receiving private funding to conduct advanced studies. Within its highly guarded confines the institute is no more than a collective of prudent experiments that serves the agenda set fourth by the governing body known as the Galactic Federation of Planets.
Since it's inception, every quarter a status submission is sent back to earth via an encrypted satellite signal programmed to keep the Federation updated on the latest project developments.
Just recently the GFP had become very perplexed and considerably nervous due to an abrupt stop of submissions within the last year. After careful speculation and deliberations the organization realized something might have gone terribly wrong, this lead to sending a space probe to survey the Saturn based moon.
Nearly six weeks after launching the space probe, and it reaching its destination, the probe began to transmit satellite images back to the database at Federation H.Q. The first images confirmed their greatest fears, the Rashard Institute had been seized, but by whom? Based on the photos from the survey probe an unknown race seemed to have taken over the entire operation, which meant that the institute was no longer under the control of the GFP. After a closer review the photos revealed that the institute had undergone several alien architectural alterations and was operating at full capacity. After further inspection of the satellite images there was visible evidence that the scientist were still alive, this led the GFP to believe that the majority of the staff was still intact.
Alarmed by the current findings of the satellite images the GFP quickly went into action. A member of their special operations task force referred to as SPOOK was being prepped to go and investigate. The operative's objective would be to go in disguised as a scientist returning from a routine transport and report the current situation from inside the institute. The main objective was observatory in nature only, by no means was the operative to engage the unknown occupants.
Six months of preparation and planning were now complete and the Federation was ready to initiate the operation. Everyone involved realized that this was more than likely going to be a one-way ticket, with a very low success rate. But every soldier that joins the SPOOK's are people that are no one, they are everywhere and nowhere. It is an honor to die serving the Federation and dishonorable to fail.
A cycle of two months has now passed since the operative was covertly put into place, yet still no transmissions were being received. Fearing the worst of it, the Federation began to reevaluate their options and then it happened, a transmission on a special frequency came through. The one and only transmission the spook was able to send read….” Unknown occupiers are using the Institute to create genetically altered creatures for what looks like a legion of genetic soldiers. The institute has been totally overrun and the majority of the scientists are already dead…. I fear that I may be next
Realizing that they had to act quickly the Federation assembled a highly adept and specialized SPOOK team to go and reclaim the institute. Their mission is to take back the Rashard Institute at all cost or destroy it as a last resort. The remaining scientists have been labeled expendable and the unknown occupiers are to be eliminated.

On the other side of the solar system a band of rogue space pirates known as the Octarian Marauders had been following the new occupants of the Rashard Institute. The new occupants of the Rashard Institute are known to the Marauders as the Warriors of Cartiera.
These Warriors are a nomadic race that triumphantly seizes and destroys everything in their wake raping it and leaving nothing of value. The Octarian Marauders on the other hand are ruthless speculators who sift through the destruction of planets left behind by the Cartierians.
Up until now this matrimony unknown to the Carterians had been a harmonious one for eon's, but at this stage of the their travels the Marauders find themselves running out of resources. Resources such as food, fuel and bartering items are now becoming increasingly sparse and is causing unrest amongst the crew.
After following the Cartierians into this solar system they have begun to grow impatient with the take over of this unknown moon.
Suspicious and near desperation the leader of the Marauders puts together a small scout team to recon the moon. What he later finds out is that the Warriors of Cartiera have uncharacteristically setup camp and have begun to harvest a special mineral that is indigenous to the newly claimed rock.
The Marauders are unaware of the actual activities which surrounds the newly found interest the Cartierians seem to have at this location. But what intrigues the leader is what the scout team returned during their recon session. One of the crew managed to gather a sample of crystals that are being harvested for objectives unknown..
The analysis proved to be a pleasant surprise as they found out that the very mineral used to power their technology back in Octaria was literally right within their grasp. This was the first time that the crew had every seen the mineral in its raw state, and the word of it spread throughout the ship like wildfire.
In the Octarian solar system, this mineral is referred to as ICE and is a very valuable commodity due to the almost impossible mining of it. Wars have been waged and civilizations have been purified in order to posses a mineral that controls the ebb and flow an entire species.
In typical buccaneer like fashion the leader of the Marauders realizes that this is a clandestine opportunity. If one were to own such a bounty that individual would be in a strong position to possibly control all of Octaria. The only thing that stands in their way seems to be the Warriors of Cartiera and as far as they are concerned the rewards out weigh the risks.
Now armed with a new purpose the Marauders devise a plan to strategically hi-jack all of the ICE transport routes that have been setup by the Carterians and take it all right from under their noses.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited by Kid-Mesh : 01 January 2005 at 04:16 PM.

01 January 2005
Wow! How come I missed this?

" Perfection is an illusion " -Akika

01 January 2005
Talking

grafikdon - Hey man, hows that celshade production of yours going? Thanks for dropping by though, we've been here

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by Kid Mesh: grafikdon - Hey man, hows that celshade production of yours going? Thanks for dropping by though, we've been here

What's up, man. The project is coming along at a slow but steady pace.

Kid. This I.C.E project is awesome! I am gonna throw in whatever I can in terms of concept and animation(LW) because it feels good to do something different and work with a group of people for a change. Will be uploading some concept art if it is not too late.

I was listening to the music at the website and I was completely 'blown apart'. Those sure were the right music for the project.

" Perfection is an illusion " -Akika

01 January 2005
Thumbs up

Hey thats great, glad to hear it

Thread Closed share thread