Minas Tirith Project || Part 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
The Guesthouse is finished now, after a few hours of modelling and some corrections.
57.000 tri's

07 July 2004
Someone stop me! I'm going crazy with splines
I decided to give the fountain at the Guesthouse some more detail (which turned out quite nice I think, with those wavelike patterns)
And I also did the ornaments on the pedestals in The Court of Kings. I just can't get enough of doing this stuff guys !

07 July 2004
Hi everyone. I am going to be modeling 1-lf-35. Me and some friends are having a contest where we have to make a building in 3 hours, so I will try to make this for the contest. After that I will return to working on the first gate.

@Allei: I will be modeling the statues on the doors unless I hear from you.

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by Pjanssen: Someone stop me! I'm going crazy with splines
I decided to give the fountain at the Guesthouse some more detail (which turned out quite nice I think, with those wavelike patterns)
And I also did the ornaments on the pedestals in The Court of Kings. I just can't get enough of doing this stuff guys !

Holy Polygons Batman...beautiful details on the work PJ!

07 July 2004
@Synthesizer: Ok, cool, I hope to see new buildings from you soon! About the gatedoors: you can indeed do them when we don't hear anything from allei in the meantime.
@Softdistortion: Thanks mate, I'm glad that you like it.

In the coming weeks I hope to give you guys an update of my progress every day, here's the first one:
Another 'small' piece of ornamentry. It's the large tree symbol in the Great Hall.

Last edited by Pjanssen : 07 July 2004 at 07:18 PM.

07 July 2004
the tree symbol is fantastic

08 August 2004
Hi. Here is the building after 1 hour and 15 minutes. I think that I will put a bell in it as it looks like a bell tower. Please point out anything that looks wrong.

Last edited by Synthesizer : 08 August 2004 at 12:23 AM.

08 August 2004
White Tree of Gondor

Hi. Well, there's a first version of the white tree, about 8.700Polys.

As you see is some diferent from the film tree, that's because our tree live, the king is back and the tree has another time all of his greatful and power.

Also the tree now is over "a garden", not over the stone like in the film.

Of course comments and rectifications are welcome.

08 August 2004
Unhappy ooopss a newie error :S

OOOOOPS i forget attach the file, but i'm looking how do it and... i don't find nothing for that, could you help me? Thanks.

08 August 2004
Mmmm, will that ornaments run in a "real-time" engine?, surelly not.

Why model that fantastic and complex ornaments and not insert all the rocks and walls details in the model?, I don´t understand that, if we model Minas Tirith, let´s do it perfect, not only "good". Don't you think so?

"Don´t trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

08 August 2004
@Synthesizer: A nice start ! The idea of it being a bell-tower is something I really like. I've also been thinking what those sort of towers' function could be, but a bell-tower also seemed the most logical to me.

About the model: I think that the upper part is a little too open. I don't know how to explain my suggestion, but I'll attach an image to show you what I mean.
About the top: the reference shows a sort of spikes on the top's corners, it would be nice if you could put them on your building too. I've attached an image of that too, so that you know what I mean.
And finally it of coarse needs a proper under side, but I guess you didn't yet came that.

Keep it going!

@AMoN-AMoK: I'm not sure why you can't upload any attachments, but maybe it has something to do with your postcount or something? Maybe you could find a free picture host?
Anyway, please consider the fact that the courtyard where the tree will be standing (next to the fountain) is already modelled.

@joie: The ornaments will surely run in the realtime engine. Else I would have done it with bumpmaps. About the wall details: maybe you could describe what you mean with that a little more (do you mean separate stones, little holes, scratches and stuff, or ... ?)

Files for Synthesizer:

Last edited by Pjanssen : 08 August 2004 at 09:58 AM.

08 August 2004
white tree

People, here are an early version of the tree, the pink box is a 1.8m "people" for apreciate the tall of the tree.

If the image is not displayed, here is the url.

The ground, comments and suggestions welcome, where exactly is place the tree over the place?

Last edited by AMoN-AMoK : 08 August 2004 at 03:07 PM.

08 August 2004
Thanks for the pointers Pjanssen. I will add that stuff on today. For the people making the catapults, I found this thread that might help. It is a contest to make a trebuchet powered by dynamics, in case we want the trebuchets to be animated.

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155218&page=1&pp=20

08 August 2004
@Synthesizer: That surely is a nice thread! Though I do think that completely animating a catapult with things like reactor isn't really necissary and just takes to much time for this project. We can keep to keyframing the most parts and just doing reactor-stuff for chains.
By the way, Wilco (or wdekreij I thought his nick here was) will do the cats, so I'm sure it will all end up well

@AMoN-AMoK: Nice WIP. I do have some suggestions though:
-The main-branch is maybe a bit too thick. Or at least too broad.
-The large branch going to the left stays too thick and the other branches springing from it are relatively thin compared to it.
-The branch going to the right needs some more work.
-Maybe you could make some roots that stay above the earth for a short part and then go into the earth?

I've attached the reference of the position of the White Tree. It's in front of the Great Hall, so the well (and the place where the tree will be) is already modelled, so you won't need to do the ground around the tree.
It would be really cool if you could make the tree like the dead one, but then living.

Last edited by Pjanssen : 08 August 2004 at 11:22 AM.

08 August 2004
I finished my building for my competition(1-lf-35). Here it is.

Last edited by Synthesizer : 08 August 2004 at 03:42 PM.

Thread Closed share thread