Minas Tirith Project || Part 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
I've also been playing with another model, which is one million triangles too:

Y.

07 July 2004
Looks nice, that demo, but the fps is quitte low this time, isn't it?

Maybe can you send me the demo over msn, or is it on the internet already?

07 July 2004
Well it's just a work in progress There's a lot of features missing to help for the performance, that's why i haven't released a new demo yet.

Y.

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by Ysaneya: Sorry, but i'm not going to release the source code. It took me years of research to get to this kind of results and i'm hoping to make my engine go commercial one day. Note: there is more to it than "just that".. here's an example for another project, using per-pixel lighting/shadows with normal mapping, gloss mapping, offset/parallax mapping and all the tralala:

But if you have some questions on the implementation i can always discuss the ideas/algorithms.

Back "on-topic". I've finally added shadows to the Minas Tirith model:

Fair enough. I probably wouldn't be able to understand it anyways. But do you think you can explain in laymans terms how you can get such decent playback with such high density meshes? That would help me out a lot. I'm a newbie programmer and i've just started learning graphics programming.

07 July 2004
very nice with the shadows, even without textures . i can't wait to see the finished model.

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by Ysaneya: Well it's just a work in progress There's a lot of features missing to help for the performance, that's why i haven't released a new demo yet.

Y.

Are you going to release a Linux version of your viewer? Since you are planning to go commercial with it, IMO it should be important to have it cross-plattform compatible.

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by gooms9: Fair enough. I probably wouldn't be able to understand it anyways. But do you think you can explain in laymans terms how you can get such decent playback with such high density meshes? That would help me out a lot. I'm a newbie programmer and i've just started learning graphics programming.

By "playback" you mean framerate ? Well the framerate is not very high, to be honnest. The original demo (without shadows) ran at 40 fps with one million triangles in the view on my Radeon 9700, so that's more or less 40 MTris/sec. There's no real secret except putting all the geometry in the graphics card's video memory instead of system memory, in order to avoid unnecessary bandwidth transfers every frame. The demo also does frustum culling on the CPU, but that's pretty much all.. it's quite brute force.

The version with shadows is a bit more intelligent - it splits the scene into small "cubes" and assigns a dynamic shadow map to each one. The resolution of each shadow map is adaptative to the distance to the viewer. That way, a piece of geometry that is far away only gets a 128x128 shadow map, while a closer one could get a 1024x1024. Shadow maps are stored in a cache and only recomputed as necessary. The cost of applying shadow maps is around 50% - so the framerate went from 40 fps down to 20 fps, but i was expecting that.

I still have to implement two major features in order to get an acceptable framerate with the whole city textured & lit: occlusion culling ( not displaying what's behind walls ), and level of detail ( to reduce the complexity of objects in the distance ). With these i am hoping to get a constant 50 fps while walking in the city, with full details/textures.

Originally Posted by Hullbr3ach: Are you going to release a Linux version of your viewer? Since you are planning to go commercial with it, IMO it should be important to have it cross-plattform compatible.

Yes, but not before a few months, until the engine matures a bit. Until then i'll stick to releasing the demo under Windows..

Y.

07 July 2004
i'm interested

i am a fan of the movies. I'm currently reading tolkiens books as well. After looking at your demo program and your website, i want in.

My experience is with lightwave 3d. I'm trying to get better structural modeling experience with lightwave so i'd prefer not to attempt any other programs right now. I'll start small and until i get the swing of things.

Just let me know if there are any pluggins or file formats i need to aquire before starting...

thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------
here, i tried to pic a structure that i didn't see done yet. 2-rf-01

Cmaddness
Xbox Live! Gamertag

Last edited by maddness : 07 July 2004 at 12:49 AM. Reason: add screenshot

07 July 2004
Hi folks,
I'm back. I've had quite a nice holiday the past two weeks. Mostly nice weather and a location near the beach, what do you want more ? :wink:
I allso did quite a lot of (race)cycling. Denmark is a beautifull country for it.

I didn't do as much sketching for this project as I had planned to, just didn't come to it. I'll post some soon.

Oh and I've made my best vacation-picture ever

It's a young little bird that I found on the roadside. He was just about to cross the road with a lot of cars driving on it, so we dicided to put him back in the bushes where the other birds were. (And yes, he's sitting on my dad's hand here, he just jumped on it when he tried to block his way towards the road )

Last edited by Pjanssen : 07 July 2004 at 11:46 AM.

07 July 2004
Question 2-fr-01

I finished that building and it's nearby buidling to try to finish the structure 2-rf-01

Cmaddness
Xbox Live! Gamertag

Last edited by maddness : 07 July 2004 at 03:35 AM.

07 July 2004
Post New

Hey i am new in this topic
I found your project today and i am very interesting because i worked on a same project 5 months ago
I can show you what i did

i don t have a web page so i can t post pictures
if you want this please send me a mail

07 July 2004
Here's a little update, another building (nearly) finished: the second gate.
It only needs some banners, I'm working on them now, but Simcloth doesn't really want to coöperate....

17.000 tri's so far.

Last edited by Pjanssen : 07 July 2004 at 09:46 PM.

07 July 2004
I just want to say... I want to join you.

So what´s next?

I´m on hollydays in august, so I can start in the early days of September.

Thank´s in advance.

"Don´t trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

07 July 2004
Hi joie,

I'm glad that you want to join!
If you can start at september it might be smart if we wait with picking buildings for you until you're back and we know what has to be done then.

By the way, how did you reach this thread?
I'm just curious, because the Minas Tirith site got more than 575 mostly Spanish visitors today (!), but I couldn't figure out where they were linked from....

07 July 2004
hi there

Hi there people, I'm from Spain and sorry but my writed Inglish is terrible, but i wonder that we could understan us.
I´m interested in collaborate in the proyect, so if you want i spent my little free time on that. I worked in the virtual reconstruction of the Burgos´s Cathedral two years ago, with 3dsMax, it were at end about 60.000 polis, for a real time environment. Minas Tirith is the same.... but a HUGE scale .

So, I'm waiting for instructions boss!

Thread Closed share thread