Minas Tirith Project || Part 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
Hello all, I'm here in Greece on the island of Crete. It is sooo hot here! I am having lots of fun and it looks like I missed alot in just the past week or so. I can occationally get on the internet so I saw the new thread and website. Everything is looking great so far I will be back in a week and a half, so keep up the good work. Yasou! (Good bye in Greek)

07 July 2004
Maybe this is also an helpful image of the whole city

07 July 2004
I want to join!!.

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by alyssonb: I want to join!!.

That's wonderfull to hear!!

Just curious: Do you have some 3d experience yet?

If you go to http://minastirith.endless-dimensions.com and click on "refs" there are much images. Maybe you can find a building you like. If you've found on, post here wich one it is, and I'll check it, so there will not be two people moddeling the same building.

07 July 2004
Wow this project looks great!!!! I am really looking forward seeing this city fully modelled!!! And i have a question to: I am making a LOTR Modification for Unreal Tournament 2004 amd we are recruiting, so if you want to help us, send an email to el_condorjo@hotmail.com or visis our forum at http://totr.iglobal.be/forum or our website: http://totr.iglobal.be/www

07 July 2004
Here is my wip. Don't pay attention to the other things in de upper right corner. I am working on the textures. Comments are most welcome.

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by HawVer: Here is my wip. Don't pay attention to the other things in de upper right corner. I am working on the textures. Comments are most welcome.

It's a very nice start for this building! But we prefer to first model the whole city, and after that we'll start texturing, so plz stop texturing and go moddeling

07 July 2004
Well. Then i'm finished now with this building.

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by HawVer: Well. Then i'm finished now with this building.

Like it !
Wich building is it (The code) and wich building do you prefer to make now (If you're going to make a new one).

07 July 2004
Well.. I like texturing more than modelling. So.. i'd like to try some texturing stuff. If you don't mind. I don't like to deliver half work. It aint much without textures you see.

07 July 2004
That's cool that you are more into texturing, i've been discussing about that with Pjanssen before he went in holidays, and from what i remember the idea was to make ONE building fully textured in order to test the real-time engine with "final" quality / speed. I think the biggest / most important building would be perfect for that, aka. The Great Hall that Pjanssen modeled. It's around 1 million polys. But you'll have to wait him to be back next week so that we can decide something, maybe you can model a few buildings more in the mean time ?

Normally you'd have to assign materials and texture coordinates to the models, and paint a diffuse texture, but also a bump map ( grayscale ) and a gloss/specular map for each material.

TakkU: there is no way this model could be displayed in UT2004. It's far too high poly, you'd need someone to make a low-poly version of it, but that's a completely different project in itself.

Y.

07 July 2004
hey, i'm likin' this project. i think that i might like to give you guys a hand. sign me up.

07 July 2004
@ HawVer: Like Ysaneya said, it's bether to model first, we'r gonna texture it when everything is moddeled, so it isn't usefull if you're going to texture already..

07 July 2004
Wow, this project has made quite the progress since I last looked at it. Keep up the good work guys!

Ysaneya: I absolutely love the realtime viewer you've been making. I never thought something like this would be possible. Do you think you're going to want to post your source code when you're finished? Or do you want to keep it a secret. I'd love to see just how it was made and hopefully "borrow" some ideas out of the code. If not though I totally understand. It's a great piece of work. Keep it up.

07 July 2004
Sorry, but i'm not going to release the source code. It took me years of research to get to this kind of results and i'm hoping to make my engine go commercial one day. Note: there is more to it than "just that".. here's an example for another project, using per-pixel lighting/shadows with normal mapping, gloss mapping, offset/parallax mapping and all the tralala:

But if you have some questions on the implementation i can always discuss the ideas/algorithms.

Back "on-topic". I've finally added shadows to the Minas Tirith model:

Last edited by Ysaneya : 07 July 2004 at 09:41 AM.

Thread Closed share thread