Evolution - Teyon's Concepts.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2004
yeah, purple dude! I just finished another modelling challenge on another forum, so I'm all about EVOLUTION now. Thanks Teyon,
~Mechis

04 April 2004
Hey Teyon,

I just started. I don't have much more than the eye, but I just wanted to show you that I'm starting Since I'm working off the ref you posted, I'm having a bit of a hard time determining the shape of the eyelid. It looks like the upper lid doesn't follow a smooth curve and it also looks like there's some thickness to it that there wouldn't be in a real eye.

Anyhow, I followed the ref as closely as I could and this is what I made. Again, this is really early, but I wanted to show you that 3d is being produced (!) and also to get your comments on this area because it is kind of tricky.

Thanks,
~Mechis

*edit* image removed.

Last edited by Mechis : 04 April 2004 at 07:14 AM.

04 April 2004
Sorry. I was ... unavoidably detained.

Here come the refs. Nice start by the way.

I would say you have a good shape going, though not quite what I had in mind, as the refs will show. However, the one you have could easily be a sister or brother to the reference image. The eye in the refs sits more in the head than on the head. I get more of an on the head impression from the eye you modeled but with the right refs, all that will change, I'm sure.

Last edited by Teyon : 04 April 2004 at 06:50 AM.

04 April 2004

note: the eyelids are more closed in the side shot, you can make them wider if you want or close them up...whatever is better for ya. I know how tough it is to model something without decent orthos, sorry to keep you all waiting.

04 April 2004
Thanks Teyon. I think your new refs will be much easier to model from. I was having issues with proportions because the other drawing looked cool, but I couldn't get it to work right in 3d. Now I can see exactly what you want.

I think I'll probably abandon "brother of new reference image" and start again I'll just consider that a dry run for the real model. hah.

Thanks again,
~Mechis
ps. I'll try to post my WIP as I work. I've never worked from someone else's concepts before, so I really appreciate getting your feedback. Crits are always welcome.

Last edited by Mechis : 04 April 2004 at 07:16 AM.

04 April 2004
Glad to hear it. I'm looking foward to seeing what you all can do with my refs. I usually don't share 'em...greedy pig that I am, I like to model from them myslef instead. It'll be neat to see what other folks do with them. Looking foward to updates.

P.S.

I know that sometimes a sketch, even an ortho, doesn't carry over to 3D very well, so if something doesn't seem to work, don't be afraid to tweak it as needed. Just be sure to mention it though, here, so the voters will know why it was done. Ok, time for bed. It's 4am here in NYC and I have to be to work soon. Ciao.

Last edited by Teyon : 04 April 2004 at 08:07 AM.

04 April 2004
Ideas for lizard man's pose and background

I haven't had time to decide on and complete any of the lizard warrior's pose design or backdrops but I do have some rough work done that may help you along in your modeling.

more of the ideas to follow...

04 April 2004
looking kind of awesome there Teyon

04 April 2004
Hey Teyon,

I figured I ought to show you my new model, at the same point as I had my other one. The modelling was easier this time because of your ref. Thanks! Still an early stage, but I wanted you to see the eye, because I always think that's one of the most important aspects of a model.

Any crits about the eye shape or general body? I was wondering if you liked the oval shape of the body, or if you wanted one end tapered more than the other.

~Mechis

04 April 2004
Nah, looks good to me. Don't forget his lower jaw juts out, so when you put that in, the shape will obviously change to the lower half seeming to be wider. That won't actually be the case but it will feel that way, just like it does in the sketches. I like it I like it. Couldn't have done better myself.

Just thought I'd remind you about something I forgot...his orthos are missing a toe. He should have 2 in the front. Just thought I'd mention that. I make silly mistakes when I'm doing too many things at the same time.

04 April 2004
Here's another small update (slowly but surely. hehehe). I just did the basic shape of the mouth. Even though I'm working slowly, I'm really enjoying myself. This Evolution project is probably the most fun I've had modelling in a while! (so thanks, Teyon and Kirt). As before, feel free to crit what you see.
Thanks,
~Mechis

04 April 2004
Thanks for the orthos Teyon.
I finally got a chance to start on him, I probably won't get a lot done until after May 13 when the semester is over.
Here is what I have of his pouch: http://www.mithrilstudio.com/images/pouch1.jpg

04 April 2004
ok, i'm up for it, love the lizardboy concept

gonna give it a go

04 April 2004
Sorry, I'm still running around like a chicken with its head chopped off. Love the work I've seen from everyone so far and looking foward to everything you all can come up with. I will try to get some more hand drawn character shots to help establish some of these character's personalities and also a few more orthos up .

Busy busy busy.

04 April 2004
I got some more done.- eye, teeth, lower legs.
Do you think the legs should be bigger?-- wider, longer?
~Mechis

Thread Closed share thread