Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
MTuttle
Veteran
Michael Tuttle
USA

Question How To Find Local Help For A 2-D Animated Short Film

Hi, I have a written script for a short 2-D animated film, but I don't know where to go from here. I don't think I have the resources to make the film entirely on my own, but I don't know how to gain support to get the resources I'd need. I want to get local help so my then-formed team could meet and even work together in person, but I don't know where to ask for helpers as well. Would anyone here be able to help me please?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Let me ask you something - "Could you do something for me?" Now think hard about that question and get back to me as soon as possible.

Confused? Yeah, so was I when I read your post. How about some details? Otherwise, what's the point of posting?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
MTuttle
Veteran
Michael Tuttle
USA

Are you talking about the story? How do I give that out without somebody stealing it from me?
Or are you talking about what I'm needing? No one would take me seriously if I had asked up front:"Where can I find animators in the SF Bay Area who are available to team up with me and make a 2-D animated film for free?" Or:"Where can I get a Cintiq Companion Hybrid for free so I can make the film myself?" The reason I would be serious when asking those questions is because my circumstances (until September 2015) limit me to an income of less than 11K a year (which actually is even less since my bills take 2K out from that). I can't work and I'm not even allowed to save up for the cost of what I want to do. So outside help and support is vital for getting this project done!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

I'm not trying to single you out or pick on you, but your post here is a great example of how not to get your collaborative project started. As someone who knows nothing about your project, there is nothing here that would interest me in trying to find out more information and possibly get involved. It took two posts before we even got enough information to determine if we are even in the same global area as you are.

Now, if you were to continue with this thread, you should probably specify what type of 2D animation are you working on. Is it cartoon, roto-scope, abstract, anime, or other? What's the theme? Sci-Fi? Fantasy? Teen drama? Anamorphic mayhem? Simplistic? Realistic? or Sadistic?

Do you have a character sheet? Layouts? Color palette? or Style sheets that you can share?

You don't have to post your entire screenplay or reveal spoilers to get people interested in your project. However, you should show something if you hope for anyone to take an interest in what you are working on.

Would you feel comfortable having me working on your project if (for example) I said I have some 2D animation samples already done but, I didn't show you what they were? No really, you should see some of my things I did in college ... they're top notch.

Now, I know none of my 2D animations are online ... so, it kind of leaves you uninterested, no?

And honestly, "someone is going to steal my stuff" is a weak argument if you're here on a Collab forum looking for free assistance. If you have something that is soooo awesome, you wouldn't have a problem finding funding, hiring employees, and getting your film made. Maybe time for you to have a slice of humble pie and just post what you have. Otherwise, I can't imagine you getting much help. Believe me, I've started a few of these projects in the past.

Sorry, not trying to be brutal ... just truthful and blunt because I see this type of thing frequently here. Unless you're forthcoming and present something, you're not going to get much attention on your project.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
MTuttle
Veteran
Michael Tuttle
USA

All I have is the script. I've doodled some heads of the main character, but they don't fit how I truly "see" what he looks like. So really the best I could do is a summary of the script. Like I said, I can't upload quality art samples because I don't have a good or even decent scanner and my current Cintiq 12WX is both broken, terrible to work with, and impossible to sell as I carved in my name (years ago, with the hopes that would keep it from being stolen) below the screen.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

I'm trying to help you ... if you're going to make excuses, then it's not going to happen. People who browse this forum want to see what you have to offer. If it's nothing, then you get nothing. Simple as that.

I don't have anything further to say here. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
MTuttle
Veteran
Michael Tuttle
USA

I still don't know exactly what you're wanting me to show. I do have a deviantArt gallery, is that good enough?
hongmao.deviantart.com

Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
AbsorbentGhost
3ds max and maya
portfolio
Valentious Williams
Freelance airbrush artist
Saint Lucia

You need to head over to 11second club

you will get all the help and feed back you need .

reply share thread