A cool ray trace game development, interested?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #31
while i would encourage the enthusiasm to want to create something new and unique.. i would agree with others here that you are going about this perhaps in the wrong way.

things that show signs of failure:

* no demonstration of technology at work
* no demonstration of important companion toolkit or editor
* no comparison to existing, successful engines
* no integration for open source enthusiasts or hobbits

Once you are able to check things off that list, maybe then you'll attract the attention of developers...

but to attract the interests of artists you may want to add some simple, easy to use tools that don't require artists to turn into code monkeys banging keyboard letters all day long.

Old 01 January 2013   #32
Originally Posted by Jules123: I can't imagine there will the luxury of having a dedicated game designer.

One of the greatest mistakes made by many people who like games is mistakenly believing that their enjoyment of games or the technology of games is sufficient qualification to make a game. That's why Kickstarter and, well, the web is general is full of absolutely godawful game ideas that are going nowhere. Understanding level design, gameplay flow, stat/perk/ability balancing, and all other mechanics of game design is an art in itself.

If you believe that simply having cool graphics will make your game a success, you're wrong. People will go "ooh aah" for two minutes and then stop playing if the actual gameplay sucks. Just as many game fans foolishly believe they can make games just because they like them, so do many CG artists mistakenly believe that just because they find photorealistic graphics unbelievably cool, then everyone else does too. When it comes to games, time and time again it's been solidly proven that the majority of gamers want more than just pretty graphics.

I'm not trying to dissuade you here, but rather trying to make you fully aware of what you're getting yourself into.

Old 01 January 2013   #33
Originally Posted by tswalk: while i would encourage the enthusiasm to want to create something new

I'll put some vid up this weekend. Probably be something showing glass buildings, things flying about. Can look here for screen shots in the meantime and other explanations. www.magictownmedia.com

Originally Posted by tswalk: * no demonstration of important companion toolkit or editor

There is no level game designer tool. Best to use 3ds Max, add all your ray-trace material properties, area lights and cameras. Plus whatever 3rd party tools that work with the modelling package. Add animations and export. My engine reads it in. That's how it is at the moment.

Originally Posted by tswalk: * no comparison to existing, successful engines

There is no hybrid ray trace engine to compare with. Not many people do this.

Originally Posted by tswalk: * no integration for open source enthusiasts or hobbits

As mentioned in the first post, this project is not for everyone.

As Arnold Schwarzenegger once said, "I love it when people say it can't be done. That means I can be the first".

Cheers,
Jules

Old 01 January 2013   #34
Originally Posted by tswalk: while i would encourage the enthusiasm to want to create something new and unique.. i would agree with others here that you are going about this perhaps in the wrong way.

things that show signs of failure:

* no demonstration of important companion toolkit or editor
* no comparison to existing, successful engines
* no integration for open source enthusiasts or hobbits

Once you are able to check things off that list, maybe then you'll attract the attention of developers...

but to attract the interests of artists you may want to add some simple, easy to use tools that don't require artists to turn into code monkeys banging keyboard letters all day long.

You know even if Jules does all of that, it still does not prove anything, cant remember the name, but they been on here, infinite realities or some such like.

I dont think he's going radical enough, foundation on nvidia scenix/optix, x,y,z. It all comes over as bolt some pieces together and hope. Thats no disrespect, but i cant see anyone apart from Depaint getting thrilled about another attempt.

And thats not to say I am discouraging Jules, because i'm not. It's as is, just a path a million others have been down, and that's not exciting. There are better ways to approach this, and where, like the above comment everyone's (rightly commenting) in a negative'ish vein, because they too have seen it before.

Thats why I think this needs complete rethinking Jules, because right now the tech, the route, does not (read the all comments objectively ) excite the people here. And that's something it should do. First.

Old 01 January 2013   #35
Originally Posted by cojam: Thats why I think this needs complete rethinking Jules, because right now the tech, the route, does not (read the all comments objectively ) excite the people here. And that's something it should do. First.

I think the 3D engine does offer some unique perspective that's not represented in any other engine, as far as I know...

It's a hybrid engine. If your graphics card is slow then mostly going to use current gaming technique; deferred shading, shadow maps etc.

If you have a Kepler or fast fermi, some parts are ray-traced; indirect illumination, 1st or 2nd order reflections/refractions.

You have a graphics card of tomorrow then more physically accurate models; multi-samples per pixel etc.

I am converting it all over to OpenGL GLSL (as hinted in an earlier post) but that won't affect the API. So anything built using it will still run with the next version of the engine.

I've had excellent comments about the role of a game designer and that's definitely what I'm going to make sure is covered.

I'm not looking to excite everyone. A very small group that in their spare time want to go for something that's ahead of the curve, and don't mind it taking 2 years; plant the seed now and see what grows.

Jules

Old 01 January 2013   #36
A really big issue with going more realistic for independent developers is that your asset and content creation is much more difficult.
Content creation is one of the largest slices of development budget and time, and needing to create photorealistic buildings, people, cars, environments...

Old 01 January 2013   #37
Originally Posted by Pyke: A really big issue with going more realistic for independent developers is that your asset and content creation is much more difficult.
Content creation is one of the largest slices of development budget and time, and needing to create photorealistic buildings, people, cars, environments...

That is very true. For the tech demo where I'm using the engine for a short film, the assets will be scanned in. It's a one location shoot in a confined area. The film company I'm working with have software tech to reconstruct the meshes from multiple pictures.

There are issues to sort out though, how to remove shadows from textures? Also how would I separate the light illumination to leave just the albedo? The idea is then to have my engine add that back in when rendering the scenes.

That I think might be a possible solution that can help.

Jules

Old 01 January 2013   #38
Hi,

Sorry for no video upload.

I found a bug in the engine. To do with shadows over reflected/refracted points for when illumination gets very bright, an artifact appears.

I spent 6 hours to try and fix before running out of time. I narrowed it down to the packing/unpacking as I do the recombining of the reflected/refracted shadows in a separate pass.

Will have another go to upload a video this weekend.

Jules

Old 01 January 2013   #39
Originally Posted by conbom: a "hyper reality" real-time graphics engine and you don't include a video?

I've uploaded a video to YouTube showing the real-time ray tracing here

I am using the engine on a fantasy time travel short film project for real-time previs and final render.

Also exploring ways for new gameplay design on the Oculus Rift for when my dev kit arrives in March.

I am also interested to collaborate with people on AI and speech recognition.

I am meeting with a professor in graphics and imaging at Kingston University soon who are interested in my work.

Cheers,
Jules

Old 01 January 2013   #40
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread