5 Blades

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
the wavy lines, are the join between the hard surface metal of the blade, and the flexible metal of the shaft. Most sword masters used the join to create a kind of hallmark, I cant remeber the japanese name for it.....

10 October 2005
i wonder if anyone involved has done thier research on the ninja. i've seen a few concepts already that make me think they haven't. if it's a period piece i would like to see the ninja portrayed more accurately as well as the samurai which are sometimes misinterpreted but less so than the ninja.

10 October 2005
well, sofar whats the problem, I have reserched samurai, and to some extents Iga ninja, the characters who are hunting down Hanzo are mercenaries from the Iga reigion, it is not known if they are ninja, but thier methods dont subscribe to bushido..

Suki has also been exposed to ninja, through the Koga side of things... so the way she dressed, in dark blue are influences she still carries...
Id be happy to get any advice on historical accuracy, but as such this is not a documetary, more of a action sequence... still if you have any info that can help, please post...

Last edited by littlebluerobots : 10 October 2005 at 08:06 PM.

10 October 2005
first of all ninjutsu and bushido are different in a few ways but, alot of ninja historically were ex samurai,(how better to develop a system to defeat samurai) and as a matter of fact if you trace the iga lineage to it's current form, of the 9 martial traditions that make up the current form of ninjutsu there are i think 3 actual ninja schools and the rest are samurai.

second ninja from the iga region in ancient japan were actually called "iga no jin" or "man from iga". how possible it is for ninja to be mercs...well, it was more like they aligned themselves with the person who was in power at the time whose beliefs they agreed with. in most cases ninja were a force to be reconed with, which is why in ninja lore oda nobunaga is a tyrant. seeing the iga region as a threat he sought to wipeout the clans and thus destroying any opposition this event gave birth to many famous ninja as the practice went underground, hattori hanzo being of most note (becoming an official retainer for tokugawa who was formerly a retainer for nobunaga) they did carry out assasinations but they were rarely the villains that they are portrayed as in drama.

so then how to make ninja more historically accurate while maintaining the action theme of the piece...well, think of this ninja in ancient japan did not wear all black pajamas like they are now traditionally portrayed. (this tradition is so prevalent that even now the current ninja school adopted the black do gi as it's regular "uniform") however the tradition of wearing all black came from the kabuki theatre, when men who would run around in all black outfits were considered to be "invisble" and thus became associated with ninja. ninja in history typically wore whatever clothing suited thier lifestyle. alot of ninja walked around dressed like samurai. basically ninja wore outfits that didn't make them stand out but instead made them blend in with the crowd. not too much and not too little but just enough. (owls castle is a good example of this in many scenes of the movie)

there can be a few ideas centered around plot points. perhaps some or all of the ninja are part of a travelling carnival or a troupe of performers. that introduces some interesting costume choices for your team instead of the typical black clad ninja sneaking up on the main characters at night. also for night missions, nothing sticks out more than black, even shadows at night arent totally black because of the reflecting light of the moon and stars. they would wear dark colors, dark faded blues greens reds and browns. painting thier face was also practiced so that thier skin was a darker color for the area around the eyes that shown thru the "ninja mask"

female ninja trained in all aspects of being a lady and can be portrayed as a geisha without much innacuracy.

koga....not much information exists on the koga as apparently all of the last surviving students of what was claimed to be koga ninjutsu perished in a tragic car accident.in which the grandmaster of koga ninjutsu and all of his students died.(mysterious circumstances however koga ninjutsu is not publicly practiced and anyone outside of probably some random village in the japanese countryside is lying to you)

so there u go, alot to absorb if you have more questions u've already pmed me so just let me know which one u would rather communicate on. i also have an instant messenger handle and i would be happy to chat there as it is much easier. pm me for the details.

on a side note: perhaps a different approach than the traditional straight up "ninjas are evil" story is to go with the ninjas being a tragic enemy. where thier mercenary lifestyle is the only way for them to survive after those bastard samurai destroyed thier homes and forced them underground. and i mean bastard samurai from the ninja point of view. you can maybe even have your hattori character acknowledge his past deeds and accept thier hatred perhaps even understand why they would hate them. a bond between enemies makes the fight that ensues even more gripping.

Last edited by gunslingerblack : 10 October 2005 at 12:38 AM.

10 October 2005
Thanks, there is alot of info in there, Im sure Boone will be able to rope into the treatment.

As for the samuraivs ninja theme, we get round it by having the Iga mercs being hired by a samurai before 1570, so nobunaga is not part of the story, Id say its set around 1530, the whole set up is backed up by story that implicates Hanzo Masamune (a hybrid of the 2 sword crafters) in murder and it must be avenged.

10 October 2005
ok, but the "wavy lines" could just be a texture right ??
nice information btw

10 October 2005
Yeah, you can texture? maybey model in some grooves running the length of the blade, like in the photos... I think the rest needs to be modeled, especilally the twisted ribbon on the handle, needs a bump map texture to it...

10 October 2005
yeah, Id agree. Is it possible for you to post somthing tomorrow.... ID like to have weds as the updade day..... Also Boone, if you can get in touch, you have kinda falled off the radar..... If you have anything we can look at, especally for gunslingerblack to review, it would be cool to see it tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Ps were still looking for more modelers and texture artists and concept artists.

Last edited by littlebluerobots : 10 October 2005 at 03:58 PM.

10 October 2005
found this post in the modeling section, see if it helps, Denntanos ...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...808#post2748808

10 October 2005
* Cough! * Cough! *

Err-Ummm-Yes-well...the script is a comin! Its just that I'm trying to re-organise the first half of the film - once that is done YOU ALL can knuckle down to work!

10 October 2005
cool, can we see somthing for tomorrow, even if its basic backstory stuff, just so people can get their heads around the setting?...

oh can anyone make a banner from the title image so we can have it in our signatures???? thanks in advance...

Cliff...

Last edited by littlebluerobots : 10 October 2005 at 08:03 PM.

10 October 2005
the thing about the story is that it would help if you set it after nobunaga's age. because then would be more likely that ninja were dealing in the shadows and working as mercs. before that they were just part of the regular army, and were thier own force as well. carrying out secret missions as well as taking part in large scale battles. after nobunaga sent everyone underground would be a more suiting time period for the storyline and characters you have lined up.

10 October 2005
yeah, I know what your saying, but I want to have the timeframe where guns were first being introduce to japan, I also want it to be around a time where ninja were not prevalent....

10 October 2005
firearms weren't introduced to japan until 1543, in the 1530s there were no firearms. it took shiprecked portugese sailors to introduce firearms to japan.

the story as it is takes place during the sengoku musou (warring states era) when ninja were at thier peak in action on many battlefields across japan.

if your trying to choose an era where ninja were in the background moreso than ever, it would be after nobunaga drove them underground.

10 October 2005
I read that there were firearms, but they were not widespread....... the whole ninja thing needs to be new, not known of, so the timeframe is 1530 or maybey 1540, there are other reasons for this, but Ill go into them at a later stage after Boone has done more with the story... Hint Hint.....

Thread Closed share thread