Aegis:2375 - A Collaborative Science Fiction Project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2004
Aegis:2375 - A Collaborative Science Fiction Project

AEGIS:2375 (A Collaborative Science Fiction Project)

This project is now closed.

Hi all ^_^

I know Iíve been away for at least a year, and I now only return as the bearer of doom.

Itís with a sad heart that I am announcing the end of this project.

Aegis:2375 started life over 3 years ago as a mere idea in my head, over the following 2 years I developed it to a point where I decided I needed to start making the dream a reality.

So, I posted here, on CGtalk.
After a brief slow start, things got moving faster than I ever thought possible, people became interested, people joined the project and we, as a team, began making the idea a reality.

The Ďcoreí team, at least from the start where I was truly involved are: Myself, Victor (DogmaD) Mark (Element5) and Albert (MaxFX). We got things moving pretty swiftly, with some awesome concept art based on my sketches and marks talented imagination, and also that of Victor, who turned out consistent quality, Albert produced some eye-popping renders and was also kind enough to host the first Aegis team forum.

After a while and a few Gigabytes of content, the project came under the direction of Victor as I was simply not a project leader.

All turned over happily for a while, then I encountered a major life change, I lost my connection for about 3 months and I just didnít have time for Aegis.

Victor continued to do an amazing job at the helm; the project went from strength to strength.
But, as with all things, individual situations change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. As time passed, the project slowed as a result of real-world commitments

And so Iím here again, years on, announcing the end of something wonderful. But, it has to be done, both myself and Victor have too many real-world commitments to dedicate ourselves to Aegis, personally, Iíve had too many commitments for the past year to do more than look in from time-to-time.

Iíd love to be able to take the reigns, but sadly, as I said, I just donít have the time.

So, Iíll finish by saying a big THANKYOU to CGtalk for simply existing in its glory and providing both myself, and the team of Aegis:2375 with a place to meet, talk and make friends. Iíd also like to thank everyone who contributed to the project in any way, be it with content, suggestions or promotion.

Perhaps one day Iíll use all that I have made for something, perhaps not, but hell, at least we tried!

Strangely, Iím not too sad, this has gone far further than I could have imagined, the response has been amazing, and along the way Iíve met some wonderful and extremely talented people, whom I hope will go on to make themselves as big as they clearly deserve!

Much love

Dene Walker

Last edited by Dene of Terror : 03 March 2006 at 11:52 PM. Reason: End of project

06 June 2004
more info

Sounds interesting but we need a little more information.

Would it be possible to post some of the concept art you've got and/or the jist of the story.

Do you have any thoughts about where this project would go? tv, cartoon, web, game? This would determine the level of realism/detail required.

"make lunch, not war."

http://www.RichardOsborn.com/

06 June 2004
as for where id like this project to go....

ultimately id like to see it as a regular sci-fi series (i was thinking 4 seasons of 12 episodes)
all computer animated with motion capture by the voice actors and thier charactors modelled to look like them.
when i feel i have enough material im going to start sending proposals to various places (dont know where yet).

basically, this series would contain all the fun things in life....sex, blood, extreme violence, intense situations that only get worse and impressive space battles (of course!)

righty then...some images....(VERY basic) (sorry about the large size...the text needs to be readable)

[Story Removed]
Find It HERE

Last edited by Dene of Terror : 08 August 2004 at 09:07 PM.

06 June 2004
probably of more interest to some of you will be the need for creature moddeling......think 'bloody great big demon thingie'
pix up soon (ish). were talking alien sea life etc...

i have sketches for various aliens most of which will need some real TLC (3D wise)

06 June 2004
good stuff!

I like the story, very thorough, and despite your warning, well written. I like Sci-Fi with a good back-story, this greatly helps any character development and motivation later.

Unfortunately the pictures came through too small to see any detail (maybe CGTalk shrunk them upon posting?) is it possible to provide a link to the big pictures?

With regard to help, what do you want to do now? How do you want to progress? I can offer 3D modeling, animation and rendering help but am unsure about what you want done?

Is it the case that you want to produce 3D renderings to pitch the idea to interested parties? If so, what timeframe do you have? What level of detail were you expecting?

"make lunch, not war."

06 June 2004
oz42 - You are right, when I first read the post the pictures were much larger.

06 June 2004
and here i was about to delete this thread due to lack of interest!

well, first off thanks for showing some interest and kind words mr 0z42!

at this stage in the 'project' im looking for 3d models so i can see if the designs will work in 3d so i can make any necessary alterations, so the poly count will only need to be moderate.

this, hopefully, will be a TV sci-fi..like babylon 5...though all CG with voice actors and motion capture..and the aliens WILL NOT speak english like they were born on earth..at best it will be a hideously broken attempt at the laguage...and lets not forget all the power armour, sword play, big guns and mechs!

after the test renders and some refining, ill be moving on to more complex designs and the models wil need to be much more detailed. after that ill want to be looking into getting a short, probably 30-60 second promotional animation to pitch the idea to the relivent people (dont know who just yet). as far as a timeframe...theres no massive rush at this point so no pressure!
above all i want this project to be fun, and challenging (in a fun way) as this is one of my 'big dreams'...ive allways been anoyed with the general crappyness of most tv sci-fi and i really want to do something better.

hope that answers your questions! (if not ill try agian!)

quick note...ill fix the pix, if that doesnt work ill just mail u the larger versions or something. probably me that made them toosmall whilst playing with image settings on photobucket....

just remember that this is just a personal project of mine and as such will be unpaid...IF it ever gets anytwhere then payment will be an option. but thats a BIG if....

and if you think that story was detailed....you should see the rest of it!!...that was my idea of an outline......haha!....soooo many documents....

Last edited by Dene of Terror : 06 June 2004 at 08:17 PM.

06 June 2004
i notice that there has been over 240 views of this topic and only 6 replys (mostly me) maybe a little feedback? maybe why you're NOT interested? anything will help at this point.....

06 June 2004
3D art

Well im still a newb when it comes to 3d Art, but im training to get into the industry. So if you post a good concept art (whether it be creature or ship) Then i'll give it a try.

06 June 2004
sorry!

Sorry Dene,

I've been very busy, both with work and we're looking to move house!

I'd like to model your ideas, and will do when I get time. Don't hold me to a deadline but I'll get round to it when things quieten down here.

Just to let you know there's still inteest in your idea.

"make lunch, not war."

06 June 2004
i know the 'concept art' ive posted is a little on the amature side of thigns but im just trying to get the point accross, not produce some minor work work of art.

if any one wants any further idea of what im trying to do here, just leave a post asking wht you want to know, i'll be more than happy to post anything relavent.

07 July 2004
another alien vessel. this one is an early concept draft for a fighter. its about 30 to 40 feet long

07 July 2004
Hiya Dene,

Just posting so u know that i was here...lol

I copied the story and will read it when i get a chance, I have to go finish my 1/6th scale head sculptures i am doing.

Take care
Mark

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

07 July 2004
And so it begins.....

cool, thanks for checking it out dude!.

as requested, heres your first 'challenge'. this, as the title suggests, is a kind of drop-ship. its capable of atmospheric entry / limited submarine activity (human image placed for scale).
what id like for you to do, mark, is see if you can take this concept one step up from draft level for now, see how we get on and all that.

excuse my vagueness, ive just got out of bed.
ive probably left a lot of info out, sorry about that, im not sure what i should be telling you...suggestions welcome.

(y'know..looking at it now i realise just how sketchy it actually is...hahaha! )

07 July 2004
one thing....
PLEASE excuse the low quality of these sketches, improvement is why i came here, and so far ive had alot of very helpfull advice, which i appreciate and am trying to absorb.

Thanx..
-Dene-

Thread Closed share thread