Short Film: Final Outpost

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Short Film: Final Outpost

Hello all, I'm new to this board so I hope I follow all the right rules and get my goal across at the same time.

First off, I'm a writer and a wannabe 3D artist. Basically, that translates into I'm a writer who has very little 3D artist ability.

I'm looking for help (ie: full graphic support) in developing a short sci-fi script I wrote into a CGI film. The film will be about 10 minutes long and I hope to enter it into short film contests.

I wrote the script with a short, simple CGI theme in mind and purposely kept the number of characters, backgrounds, and camera angles to a minimum.

So if you're interested in helping me bring this idea to life please let me know. I'll give you all the details including a copy of the script and some conceptual art ideas. Being a writer, I can explain what I want, I just can't put it in graphic form!

Also, if I'm breaking any of the covenants let me know so I can remedy that as well. I'm hoping this project really takes flight soon and hope there are plenty of people interested.

Thanks!

10 October 2004
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well. I'd definately be interested in possible concept work and or doing up some storyboards for ya if you need some one.

All the best,

Tom

10 October 2004
Talking Current Progress

Just a quick update to tell new readers that tdaniels and Benman have joined up to help with the art and graphics. Still plenty of openings if anyone is game, but progress is happening and conceptual art will be posted here soon!

I'm so excited I found this site and the users are being so helpful so quickly. I just love it!

Thanks to all.

10 October 2004
hehe no problem at all

10 October 2004
Update 2

All right guys, here's the first batch of head shot sketches (main characters). Let me know if I'm close.

KCDragon - Once approved I'll do the turn-arounds and send them off. Let me know what I need to fix.

*update* 30OCT04 - Just added a concept of the helmets. 30OCT04

*update* 31OCT04 - Just added a colored weapon concept. Let me know what y'all think?

-cheers

Tom

http://www.freewebs.com/bucketofpro...inaloutpost.htm

Last edited by tdaniels : 10 October 2004 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added new pic (helmet)/weapon

11 November 2004
Nice concepts, although I have one thing to say about the weapon, is that thing that sticks out at the left of the gun, the barrel where the lasers exit? If it is, I'd do it different, it may look more like a usual gun, but it would be more realistic. The barrel of a gun always goes from the one end of the weapon, to almost the other end, this to speed up the bullet(laser here. And because it's different in your concept I'm having trouble believing it. Also, if you make new weapons, or redesign it, I'd go with the style that you used for the helmets. I hope you understand me, and the face and helmet look great btw.

Now I've been thinking about how I'd do the landscape in the meantime, I'd go with the redish earth(like Mars) scattered with some rocks, like KCDragon suggested. The sky I'd give black clouds with only bit of light coming through. For the wall I'd go with statues that stond in a row, and holding each other hands, like a chain, and between them the wals itself. The statues I'd give a look like the statues from easter island, which would give a nice contrast with your design of the helmets(and space suits I guess?).

11 November 2004
The_Observer, thanks for the kind words.

I'm digging the description you gave on the planet/theme. I'll take for act, thanks.

On the weapon, I'm assuming you're talking about the Surefire "flashlight" on the bottom left? If not, do you mind pointing me in the right direction? I thought I did extend the barrel from the stock to the front sights.

Thanks again for your help.

All the best,

Tom

11 November 2004
Thumbs up Concept Art

tdaniels, great beginnings man, thanks for getting them up. The weapon is great, but I'm not sure about the flashlight. I'm thinking they can compact it down to a more directed beam with just as much illumination.
Headshots are great!
The helmet looks like what I was picturing except for the neck connection, it looks a little thin to connect to a suit, but you may know what it's going to look like all connected so take that for what it's worth.
Thanks and keep it coming!

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by tdaniels: On the weapon, I'm assuming you're talking about the Surefire "flashlight" on the bottom left? If not, do you mind pointing me in the right direction? I thought I did extend the barrel from the stock to the front sights.

Ah, I was a bit confused there. I didn't know for sure if it was a flashlight or other add-on, but if it's a flashlight, then it's ok I guess.
But as KCDragon said, a compacter design is possible, also I'd stick it more to the weapon itself, cause it doesn't look handy, sticking that out.

Btw I'm in the project too if you didn't know yet, I'll be handling the environment.

11 November 2004
So, take away the flashlight? No problem. Also, since you like the head-shots, can I start the turn-arounds and send them on to the modeler?

For the battle suits, I was thinking of an enclosed futuristic type lycra suit with body armor placed over that? I'll send you some examples of what I'm talking about.

All the best,

Tom

11 November 2004
Cool Landscape

The_Observer, can't wait to see the landscape itself and will wait to see what comes out before saying too much. However, we have to be careful with the statues because the planet is desolate. But, big but here, I'm thinking you might be able to pull it together where I can explain it with a little detail or previous attempts at populating or something else like that. So go with what you're talking about and we'll talk about it in detail after that.
Love the progress though guys, thanks for all the help,

KCDragon

11 November 2004
The_Observer, lol I had know Idea. Nice to meet ya, my name is Tom by the way. I'll just crop off the flashlight and leave it as is. I should have some more up tonight.

-cheers,

Tom

11 November 2004
Hi there The_Observer nice to meet ya :P im the animator but im proberly going to do the characters as well.

11 November 2004
Project Update

Thanks again to all involved. Judging from the last couple of posts I need to give an update:

Team members:
tdaniels - Concept artist (everything)
benman - Animator (everything)
The_Observer - Modeler (landscape and environment)
Mitlancer - Modeler (weaponry)
KCDragon - Writer (script management)

There're still plenty of openings available and I'm optimistic with all the activity to date.

Last edited by KCDragon : 11 November 2004 at 07:36 PM.

11 November 2004
Don't worry KCDragon, the statues will be a part of the wall itself so it'll barely more than what you intended. And at the moment I'm just brainstorming and trying some stuff, so I'll see how far I'll be able to go in my design.

Btw welcome to the team Mitlancer!

Thread Closed share thread