Animation gone with referenced rigs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #1
Animation gone with referenced rigs

Hiya!

I'm going mad! I lost a day of animation in a scene with a referenced file in it.
The referenced file has multiple rigs in it that are animated in this (now corrupt) scene.
I can open the scene, but maya has put the characters to their default position (that of the referenced file).
Now, as I look in the script editor, I see a list of repeating errors. They all seem to point to namespaces that turned bad while saving the scene.
I did have another reference in the same file, which I used to align the characters to a animatic scene. It seems to me that this might have screwed up the link to the placeholder lists maya creates with references. I'm not sure I understand what maya does under the hood.
The errors I get are the following:

// Error: line 1: Unable to parse command argument list. //
// Error: line 1: No object matches name: animrefRN.|animref:s:all_anim|animref:s:anim_grp|a nimref:s:body_anim_grp|animref:s:body_anim|animref :s:torso_base_joint|animref:s:hip_grp|animref:s:hi p_anim.translateX //
// Error: line 1: Invalid attribute name: animrefRN. //
// Error: line 1: No object matches name: animrefRN.|animref:s:all_anim|animref:s:anim_grp|a nimref:s:body_anim_grp|animref:s:body_anim|animref :s:torso_base_joint|animref:s:hip_grp|animref:s:hi p_anim.translateZ //
// Error: line 1: Invalid attribute name: animrefRN. //

and so on...

Does anybody have any idea if this could be fixed in the Maya Ascii file? Because it looks like a name conflict. But I don't know what I should and shouldn't change for this...
Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Have a wonderful day!
Pepijn

Old 06 June 2011   #2
Oh! Maybe I should mention that the namespace of the referenced scene is "animref"

There are already more namespaces in the referenced scene, due to imports of previous references in that scene. There are no nested references.

The thing is that I have been working with the same reference file on other shots and they all still work. The difference was hadn't referenced other files in those scenes. Thats why I think that could be the source of all evil...

Old 07 July 2011   #3
hi pepijns,

I'm having exactly same problem as your Lost of animation. Unfortunately, on net could not find any solution. Wondering whether u could find any thing about this problem?

regards,

Old 07 July 2011   #4
Ok, I give in, only had a mail the other day from somebody desperate to get round this very same issue.... so , check my blog!

http://markj3d.blogspot.com/2011/07...referenced.html

Mark

Old 07 July 2011   #5
Thanks Mark,
What a coincidence ,
before seeing your post here , I found your blog a few hours earlier and started to read.

Now tested fixing script, awesome-ly working!!

But still can not get why i started to face this very same problem very often for last couple of month although i'm using same rigs. I guess something in my rigs also triggering this bug. Will check my rig in a detailed way.

Anyway tanks a lot for your respond and articles on your blog
cheers,

Old 07 July 2011   #6
One thing I would point out here is that the fix script is only half the fix. If the RefEdits were broken then you may find that after fixing the anim and saving, on reload te same edits may still fail. Whenever we get this we always flag that rig as broken and bring a fresh rig reference in and copy the anim data across...just to make sure

Old 07 July 2011   #7
Hi ceyhankapusuz & Mark!

I did not search any longer after this post.
Already spent hours on it! So went on to do other shots.

Therefore, Mark, thank you so much for your fix!
I haven't tried it yet, but will do so soon!

This will make life a lot better

I see your point in the broken links, will keep in mind to load in fresh rig if that happens.
With broken rig, you mean the connection with the referenced file right?! Of are you talking about the rig itself? Just to make that clear...

Cheers and happy animating!

Old 07 July 2011   #8
If the ReferenceEdits themselves get corrupted, ie, no connectAttrs to the animData then even running the fix sometimes will not store those connections back to the RefEits and so, you fix, you save and bingo, no animation again. Hence, fix it then copy the fixed anim over to a fresh referenced rig.

Old 07 July 2011   #9
Ok, I see. Will do that.
Thanks again!

Old 07 July 2011   #10
Well, unfortunately, I cannot use your awesome script, because I realised that I do not use character sets for my characters.
What I used for my rigs is a rigging script (because I'm not a star rigger).
And it created selection sets for the animation controls, but no character sets.
But because I now have a better understanding what needs to be connected, I might be able to connect some things differently.

Old 07 July 2011   #11
ok here another question:
I m having this problem only in .ma files, never faced with .mb animation files.
Even in our pipeline we started to save animation data in .mb format as it is more secure.
Is it same for you too? And do u have any idea why?

Old 07 July 2011   #12
I have to say that we've been thinking recently with other issues (mainly corruption in the file CGFX shader blocks) that maybe theres an issue with the ma writing in Maya. We normally force the animators to save in ma just in case we have production issues and we can rescue data, but yes, I also suspect that MayaAscii is having issues from time to time

Old 12 December 2011   #13
Marks solution saved me about a month ago, but in my most recent case after the scene loads it doesn't even show any reference edits to connect. We're able to reproduce the issue 100% of the time. We have a referenced character with a character set, the animators add a animation layer to the root control of the character and save...the scene will now fail to load properly. It's interesting that this only seems to be an issue with that particular object. Other controls can be added to layers without issue. As ceyhankapusuz has mentioned saving to Maya binary works around the issue, but that kind of scares me. I guess the question is which is worse, mb files or characters without character sets?

Old 12 December 2011   #14
The lack of refEdits for the animation is kind of the symptom we used to see, and why the patch we did came along in the first place, I am surprised though that a certain object would cause a crash issue like that? Was this added to that CharacterSet after the file was referenced? I take it you've sent this off to support if it's a 100% reproducible.

Old 12 December 2011   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread