Maya 2012 Help & Chrome vs. IE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2011   #1
Maya 2012 Help & Chrome vs. IE

This is annoying and I tried everything I could think of...

About a week ago I uninstalled Google Chrome, everything seemed to be fine, I set IE to default and it works as you'd expect: opening links, etc and other programs will always use IE for browsing.

Except Maya...

No matter what I do (even editing the registry, hunting down anything to do with Google) Maya 2012 won't open ANY links requiring a web browser because it defaults to a non-existant Google Chrome. I get this warning every f&*#$ time: "Windows cannot find 'ChromeHTML\shell\open\command'. Make sure you typed the name correctly."

Help? Maybe I should just give up and reinstall Google Chrome? The worst part is not knowing who to blame, Google or Autodesk.

Old 05 May 2011   #2
I don't have chrome here, never did, so I can't test this for you, but perhaps if you delete preferences and allow new ones to be generated it will fix it.

For a test, just exit Maya, rename your prefs folder as a backup, and restart Maya, answering yes to creating new prefs. If it doesn't fix it, you can manually delete the new prefs and rename the backup.

<* Wes *>

Old 05 May 2011   #3
Might I ask why you are using IE though? Why not Firefox, which is a lot more secure and better performing, especially if you install the AdBlock plus add-on, and for further control, NoScript..

Also, you could try running CCleaner to fix registry issues. It's free.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Old 05 May 2011   #4
you can make a link: instead of google chrome it points to iexplore so when Maya attemps to open chrome, your link redirect it to "iexplore"

but as above I ask you: why iexplore?
Chrome or Firefox are better (more speed and security)

Old 05 May 2011   #5
Funny... I use Firefox as my default browser, but maya keeps opening IE for any web-related material.

Old 05 May 2011   #6
There's a 'folder properties' or something like that which lets you choose which apps are associated with .htm/.html etc. Can't remember exactly where.

Also you could try using regedit.exe to find anything related to chrome.

Old 05 May 2011   #7
Swear to God I tried everything under the sky, but now I gave up and reinstalled Chrome.

Old 05 May 2011   #8
Originally Posted by Kakkoii: Also, you could try running CCleaner to fix registry issues. It's free.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

It's not 1998 any more.

Old 05 May 2011   #9
Originally Posted by eikonoklastes: It's not 1998 any more.

And? CCleaner still gets updated, and it can fix issues.

Old 05 May 2011   #10
Originally Posted by Kakkoii: And?

Really?

OK, quick question - does this app recommend that you back up your registry before it does its thing?

If yes, then that automatically tells you that the app itself isn't 100% confident that it won't bludgeon your system to death.

If no, it'd be massively irresponsible of them to run it without informing the user of the potential consequences.

Secondly, the issue at hand is trivial - Maya's help file not opening from within the app is hardly a massive deal-breaker. There are safe workarounds to this.

This app is not a targeted solution to the issue at all, but rather a shoot-blindly-in-the-dark-and-hope-that-something-happens approach, circa 1998 when nobody knew wtf was going on anywhere.

Thirdly, no 3rd party app has any business getting full access to the guts of your operating system and all the settings stored by almost every single app on your computer. Giving some random 3rd party app this much elevation is plain irresponsible.

Giving some random 3rd party app this much elevation to solve a mere annoyance is worse.

This is wildly off topic. Sorry about that.

Old 05 May 2011   #11
Originally Posted by eikonoklastes: Really?

OK, quick question - does this app recommend that you back up your registry before it does its thing?

If yes, then that automatically tells you that the app itself isn't 100% confident that it won't bludgeon your system to death.

If no, it'd be massively irresponsible of them to run it without informing the user of the potential consequences.

Secondly, the issue at hand is trivial - Maya's help file not opening from within the app is hardly a massive deal-breaker. There are safe workarounds to this.

This app is not a targeted solution to the issue at all, but rather a shoot-blindly-in-the-dark-and-hope-that-something-happens approach, circa 1998 when nobody knew wtf was going on anywhere.

Thirdly, no 3rd party app has any business getting full access to the guts of your operating system and all the settings stored by almost every single app on your computer. Giving some random 3rd party app this much elevation is plain irresponsible.

Giving some random 3rd party app this much elevation to solve a mere annoyance is worse.

This is wildly off topic. Sorry about that.

It's not some "random 3rd party app". CCleaner is well known and recommended in the nerd community. And no registry cleaner can be 100% confident because there will always be variables that it can't anticipate. New software is being written all the time with new registry issues being created. Plus, when making such an application, you pretty much have to put in a backup option for those people who like to be as safe as possible about that type of thing, or else people would be complaining about the lack of that functionality. CCLeaner isn't going to touch anything that can massively screw over you system. And you can look to see what it's going to repair or remove, and choose if you want it to, for each entry. It's incredibly useful for keeping you registry clean and running fast.

Old 05 May 2011   #12
I do love bandying words with you, Eikonoklastes, because you're often just ego and elitism combined with no real info or helpful thoughts. Your goal was to make fun of Kakkoii for using a tried and true and very powerful, helpful, free application to clean computers. But you didn't even get the basics right, and instead tossed up some arbitrary date to make yourself seem computer-omnipotent.

Developer(s) Piriform: Initial release: 23 September 2003

Quote: Thirdly, no 3rd party app has any business getting full access to the guts of your operating system and all the settings stored by almost every single app on your computer. Giving some random 3rd party app this much elevation is plain irresponsible.

No applications have business in the guts of your OS? Not even if you tell them to go into those guts? Not even if that's their job and purpose? You should probably just get a Mac then, son, as the complexity of Windows appears beyond your means.

And Piriform's CCleaner isn't a "random 3rd party app". It's a specific application. In this case, one specifically designed to tackle problems such as posted by the OP here. What's irresponsible about controlling and knowing your computer? A "random 3rd party app" would be perhaps KnotPlot, which has nothing at all to do with the OP's issue. Are you unaware of the definition of "random"? Check it out.

random (definition)

What we can surmise by your preposterous post is that you're afraid of your own registry and have no helpful knowledge on how to control your own computer. Thanks for trying; I'm sure you were just being helpful but please return when you have a basic understanding of how Windows works and how other applications, and the choice to use them or not, can make for a better experience and increase efficiency.

Also, 2003 minus 1998 is five, if you were curious about quantifying how wrong you are here in this thread. You are 5 wrong.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 05 May 2011   #13
Hah! a personal attack on the Internet. You almost never see that! Good times.

You seem like a nice guy InfernalDarkness, your amusing indignance notwithstanding. I got no beef with you.

Besides, picking a fight over some random app would be silly. Shake hands and leave this battered thread some dignity? Or is there too much ego and elitism at stake?

Hey Kakkoii, no disrespect intended man. You're safe though. Infernal's got your back! It's just that registry cleaners are so 199.... are so retro, you know?

Old 05 May 2011   #14
Originally Posted by fabittar: Swear to God I tried everything under the sky, but now I gave up and reinstalled Chrome.

Hey, I'm just curious. Did you try reinstalling Maya after you uninstalled Chrome?

Old 05 May 2011   #15
Originally Posted by eikonoklastes: Hey Kakkoii, no disrespect intended man. You're safe though. Infernal's got your back! It's just that registry cleaners are so 199.... are so retro, you know?

Please, explain what has changed about Windows since 199x that makes registry management/cleaning tools irrelevant. Since you are clearly the expert on everything Windows.

The registry system hasn't changed very much, the issues that happened back in the 90's still happen today, even more frequently now actually, due to the increased complexity and abilities of programs, combined with poor coding skills by many developers that leave problems and junk data behind, slowing down your computers performance. Which is the main cause of the infamous Windows slow down that has become a staple of anti-windows complaints.

Last edited by Kakkoii : 05 May 2011 at 05:34 AM.

Thread Closed share thread