Split Polygon tool 2012 problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2011
Split Polygon tool 2012 problem

Hi,
I'm just using Maya 2012 and i found that Split Polygon tools in 2012 will highlighted the selected area or the face to you want to cut. But for most time, this feature just disappeared along with the tool itself and its hard to cut when there's no line to show where its going (shown in the pic).

I found it very confusing. When I zoom out, I found there's a purple stuff on the bottom. Is there a way to turn off this feature at all and so Split polygon act just like the old tool in 2011 or something.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error.jpg (71.1 KB, 49 views)

05 May 2011
I've run into this issue also. It's quite odd. Simply changing to a different view angle and distance can sometimes solve the issue, but it still shouldn't happen in the first place =/

05 May 2011
This in-depth article on interactive split (and the new extrude) will answer most of your questions about split.

http://www.thnkr.com/?q=maya2012_polytools

05 May 2011
Yepp, have seen this too... annoying bug.

05 May 2011
Thank you for the reply. I went to website u gave me, but it didn't help me fixing the bug :(

05 May 2011
Originally Posted by hellrage: Thank you for the reply. I went to website u gave me, but it didn't help me fixing the bug :(

No, the article doesn't tell you how to fix bugs. That's Autodesk's job. But it does tell you how to get access to the old split tool, which is what I thought you were looking for.

07 July 2011
Yeah same here, sometimes a restart of maya works sometimes i just need to reboot. It would be nice if these small bugs get fixed...

07 July 2011
Well i got a total different problem with the tool.

At first it looked to be working good. But then after 2 spltis maya chrashed on a realy simple split.
After that I re-opened the same file and tried to do it again. But when i select my model and then the tool. My model gets deselected. Oke i can do right mouse button and do Select. But then i can't get any starting point. it wont klick on my model with the tool.
I restarted maya, restarted my pc, deleted history, optimised my scenen etc etc etc...
Nothing works. So basicly im now screwed because i cant use that model anymore... because i cant make cuts on it. THnx autodesk for ****ing up the tool!

07 July 2011
Originally Posted by =LuxX=: Well i got a total different problem with the tool.

At first it looked to be working good. But then after 2 spltis maya chrashed on a realy simple split.
After that I re-opened the same file and tried to do it again. But when i select my model and then the tool. My model gets deselected. Oke i can do right mouse button and do Select. But then i can't get any starting point. it wont klick on my model with the tool.
I restarted maya, restarted my pc, deleted history, optimised my scenen etc etc etc...
Nothing works. So basicly im now screwed because i cant use that model anymore... because i cant make cuts on it. THnx autodesk for ****ing up the tool!

Just switch back to the old tool then.. As was already posted about in this thread.

08 August 2011
I've recently had problems with the split polygon tool not displaying properly in Maya 2012. I've noticed if the object is inside a group or hierarchy then sometimes un-parenting it temporarily using Shift+P helps. The purple stuff seems to appear at the origin when cutting the faces of a parented object. When the object is not a child of anything I have found the cuts are displayed on screen properly without having to right-click or exit the tool and that splitting faces is much easier to do.

Also deleting any extra edges or vertices makes the old split poly tool work more effectively. The new interactive split tool seems a bit glitchy to me, changing the camera view seems to help a bit.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by tomevertonfc: I've recently had problems with the split polygon tool not displaying properly in Maya 2012. I've noticed if the object is inside a group or hierarchy then sometimes un-parenting it temporarily using Shift+P helps. The purple stuff seems to appear at the origin when cutting the faces of a parented object. When the object is not a child of anything I have found the cuts are displayed on screen properly without having to right-click or exit the tool and that splitting faces is much easier to do.

I can confirm that un-parenting the object you wish to split, will make the Split Polygon Tool work as it should.

11 November 2011
Originally Posted by Kakkoii: Just switch back to the old tool then.. As was already posted about in this thread.

link is dead...

edit: found out just hoe to use the old one by entering SplitPolygonTool; in the mel.

Last edited by 3DRenderer : 11 November 2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: found the old way

11 November 2011
Originally Posted by 3DRenderer: link is dead...

edit: found out just hoe to use the old one by entering SplitPolygonTool; in the mel.

Enter the Interactive Split tool, then hold Shift+Right Click, slide over to the "Split" menu that pops up, and choose Split Polygon Tool, to get back the old one.

01 January 2012
So, about the display error with some of the tools, like Append to Polygon and even with the recently introduced Interactive Skin Binding (which I am experiencing now, look at the printscreens), Autodesk doesn't nor will have a fix? I think it's "a little" serious problem :S

Printscreen01

Printscreen02

Facebook
Blogspot
deviantART

01 January 2012
select object, Shift+right click-drag left right. Very handy!

Thread Closed share thread