"spPaint3d 1.1.1" for Maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2011   #1
"spPaint3d 1.1.1" for Maya?

Is anyone familiar with "spPaint3d 1.1.1" for Maya?

Thx

Old 05 May 2011   #2
spPaint3d_2011.1 ?
Yes. Its great.

David

Old 05 May 2011   #3
Another vote for greatness!

Old 05 May 2011   #4
Is it possible to paint instances of more than just a plain mesh, but Maya scene file instances?

Like the xRef type of file for Cinema 4d?

http://www.cafedownloads.com/reviews/r105/xrefs.html

Just curious.

Old 05 May 2011   #5
thanks for the kind words guys

to answer your question trashtalk, I am afraid using maya scene reference were never part of the original design.
Not that it could not work, just that it wasn't part of the initial workflow design. It all started small and somehow got way beyond what I needed to do and became kind of messy.
I've been wanting to go over all that script again, but have been busy with a whole lot of other stuff.

What I can advise you to do is actually use locators for your brush and then replace those locators with whatever makes sense for you. Not the most streamlined workflow though.

Old 05 May 2011   #6
@meuH

I am going to assume your the guy that wrote spPaint3d. Just wanted to say thank you so much. I have minor issues with it but thats cause I've probably been trying to use it for reasons that weren't meant to be. Anyway, it is so handy and I introduce it to everyone in the office. Thank you!

As for the minor issue, it gets really laggy after a couple of hundred instances, I end up moving my wacom pen frantically and waiting 20-30mins for it all to be dropped sometimes. I assume that is just maya and the way it connects in the hypergraph. Any help on this if you have a solution would be great

@trashtalk

I think I've used binary proxies with spPaint and it kinda works. But then again, maybe you wanted the reference so u can update the files in the middle of production in which case, I have no solution as of yet =)

Old 05 May 2011   #7
ya thanks for the great software. Love it.

Old 05 May 2011   #8
@meuH: Thanks so much for spPaint! It's wonderful, I use it all the time.

@Kinematic: Yep, the lag you're seeing is actually the dependency graph updating, which is CPU-bound and single-threaded. I can sometimes paint thousands without lag though - generally I use Bounding Box visibility layers to help with this. Depends mostly on the size/complexity of your scene, as the larger and nastier your dependency graph gets, the slower Maya can respond. This is also true of any other instancing or duplicating mechanisms I've used; it's a Maya thing.

@Trashtalk: Using the example Dario posted in the Forests Thread, you can parent a reference to say a simple lowpoly cube, then instance the cube itself (keep it on another layer for quick hiding, etc.) and the references will instance alongside your parent object.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 05 May 2011   #9
I am guessing part of the slowdown happening after a few hundreds instance come from the viewport redraw.
as I was learning python and the api while writing the script, a lot of what's happening is still somewhat brute force
More seasoned developers would probably have some good laughs looking at my code ahah.

Hopefully I'll get over all of it again someday and overhaul the whole thing. Supposedly the new 2.0 python api is up to 3 times faster, which would definitely be helpful there.

Old 05 May 2011   #10
I am guessing part of the slowdown happening after a few hundreds instance come from the viewport redraw.

Only in part. This lag occurs, as I said, even with a tiny low-poly source object or objects set to Bounding Box visibility only, as well. But it's Maya's dependency graph updating as you finish painting, not necessarily GPU lag. Of course after a few million polys in the viewport, you'll have lag regardless, but I think Kinematics was talking about the CPU bottleneck regarding the dependency graph.

Hopefully I'll get over all of it again someday and overhaul the whole thing. Supposedly the new 2.0 python api is up to 3 times faster, which would definitely be helpful there.

Whenever you get the time! I assure you, it will be much heralded and well-used, when you get around to updating spPaint3D.

(Edit: new example...)

@Trashtalk: Here's an example of a scene populated using spPaint3D, right-click "View Image" to see the full resolution:

Last edited by InfernalDarkness : 05 May 2011 at 08:11 PM.

Old 05 May 2011   #11
Thanks guys for all of the feedback!

Since I'm a noob, what's a binary proxy and why would I need this?

I haven't quite figured out my methodology yet, but thought the script could be useful.
Here's a link to a similar plugin but for Cinema 4d:

http://www.dns-plugins.de/video/pos/pos_5_metaballs.mov

I like the idea of building up clones on top of each other (like in the above link), but I'd also like to be able to "change
the direction" of any instanced object so that I might create other variations.

For example, say I had a torus shape and I reduced it down to a quarter slice. I want to be able to paint those quarter slices so that they are touching end to end (or close to it), so then I could have them connect to form something like a pretzel or rope (but an automatic solid shape and / or the choice of both). But I'd like to paint it rather than manually do it.

Does this make sense and is this doable with spPaint3d?

Last edited by trashtalk : 05 May 2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 05 May 2011   #12
I noticed there was a huge speedup with this plugin in Maya 2012. It doesn't seem to slow down anymore.

Also - thanks meuH, it's a great plugin

Old 05 May 2011   #13
I noticed there was a huge speedup with this plugin in Maya 2012. It doesn't seem to slow down anymore.

If others can verify this, it would almost be reason alone for me to upgrade. I don't mind the slowdown, as the script is still 1 krillion times faster than placing instances by hand, but that speedup would also be excellent!

@Trashtalk: No, painting wouldn't be great for this kind of thing. It'd be possible though. Just set your translate locator properly and it should work. But such simple 90 angles would possibly work better in the Duplicate dialogue. Works fine there.

Old 05 May 2011   #14
I guess this is half off topic, but does anyone know of a script which lets me place objects on a surface with distribution based on a grayscale texture? I found one, I think it was named "scatter" but it does not work with 2011.

Old 05 May 2011   #15
Originally Posted by trashtalk: I haven't quite figured out my methodology yet, but thought the script could be useful.
Here's a link to a similar plugin but for Cinema 4d:

http://www.dns-plugins.de/video/pos/pos_5_metaballs.mov

no that's not something my script can do at this time, as at this time you would have to manually add each new object to the target surface list after having created it.
But that's a really cool thing.
Food for thought for later

Last edited by meuH : 05 May 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Thread Closed share thread