Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBB
I've successfully used this tool on many different, very custom shapes. Maybe double check your process. Check the tips that have been offered in previous posts of this thread.

Hi FBB, I'm pretty confident the problem lies with Autodesk's code, not all the users workflow in this thread.

You can try yourself on the attached scene I posted last page.

Last edited by Hamburger : 04-18-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #32
rochre26
Expert
portfolio
Brendan Thompson
Motion Graphics / VFX
USA

Fixed on my end

I couldn't open your file for some reason but I can confirm that this tools works flawlessly for me in 2013 (but NOT 2012).

Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #33
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Sorry, it is Maya 2013.5 but you can open it in any version if you uncheck "ignore version" in the open dialogue. The file is not version dependant.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #34
FBB
Digital Artist
portfolio
Francis Bezooyen
Canada

The part of your comment that I was addressing was where you say you've only been able to get it to work with a simple cube by pointing out my own experience of being able to make it work with much more varied geometry than that.

I've tried it with the scene you sent. If you project the provided curve on the poly face exactly as you have it it doesn't work. Partly there seems to be something funny going on with the geo in your scene. I cleared this up by exporting it as an obj then bringing it back in. However, it still doesn't work after you bring it back in. I believe it's because the projected curve needs to intersect with at least one edge. by placing one edge in the path of the projected curve prior to projecting it does work, and you can simply delete the unwanted edge afterward.

I've attached an updated version of your file with the successful projection.
Attached Files
File Type: zip curves_SuccessfulProjection.zip (18.6 KB, 4 views)

Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #35
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Quote:
Partly there seems to be something funny going on with the geo in your scene.

Hmm, didn't notice anything wrong with it - although it is set to real world scale, I had to modify persp camera defaults in order to display geo correctly so maybe this is perhaps what you encountered (clipping planes)?

Quote:

I believe it's because the projected curve needs to intersect with at least one edge.

I thought this for a while too, but to test the theory I tried projecting a circle onto the centre of a face from a cube without touching any edges and it worked just fine:

Maya automatically connected the newly split circle to the two outer verts.

Although strangely enough I can never 100% do this, the tool seems to only work sparingly for no known reason. A tool like this should work all the time except for, I guess super complicated scanned geometry or something ridiculous like 3d trees which these examples are most certainly not!

Thanks for testing it.

Last edited by Hamburger : 04-18-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #36
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Test 2

In a clean scene a new primitive cube and a new curve, the Tool is back to it's default behaviour it seems:

Same primitive objects, same steps made.

Quote:
// Warning: line 0: Can't perform polySplit1 on selection

Why Maya?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #37
klaudio2u
Expert

portfolio
Klaudio
Croatia

I work's for me..

This is my procedure:
1. Create for example a cube
2. Create circle
3. Position the circle above the face i want to project the curve on and change "degree" of circle on "linear" and set sections (usually 8)
3. Switch to one of the orthographic view (usually) for projection of the curve (since tool is set on "current view direction")
4. Use "Edit Mesh - Project curve on mesh"
5. After projection is done don't delete the history yet but delete projected curve on the opposite side (if you don't need it) and leave the one you need. ...then select first the curve and then the mesh.
6. Use "Edit Mesh - split mesh with projected curve"

Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #38
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Again. This is not an issue with procedure or workflow. Tool is broken.

Code:
polyCube -ch on -o on -w 70 -h 70 -d 70 -cuv 4 ; circle -ch on -o on -nr 0 1 0 -r 20; move -r -ls -wd 0 51.46463 0 ; select -r nurbsCircle1 ; select -tgl pCube1 ; switchModelView top; polyProjectCurve -ch true -pointsOnEdges 0 -curveSamples 50 -automatic 1 "nurbsCircle1" "pCube1" ; select -r "nurbsCircle1"; switchModelView persp; select -r polyProjectionCurve1; select -add pCube1 ; SplitMeshWithProjectedCurve;

Does not work.

Code:
polyCube -ch on -o on -w 70.745371 -h 70.745371 -d 70.745371 -cuv 4 ; circle -ch on -o on -nr 0 1 0 -r 20; move -r -ls -wd 0 51.46463 0 ; select -r nurbsCircle1 ; select -tgl pCube1 ; switchModelView top; polyProjectCurve -ch true -pointsOnEdges 0 -curveSamples 50 -automatic 1 "nurbsCircle1" "pCube1" ; select -r "nurbsCircle1"; switchModelView persp; select -r polyProjectionCurve1 ; select -add pCube1 ; SplitMeshWithProjectedCurve;

Does work.

Only thing changed is decimal point on cube width, height and depth, workflow remains the same. Tool is broken.

Last edited by Hamburger : 04-19-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #39
FBB
Digital Artist
portfolio
Francis Bezooyen
Canada

Ok, the tool is not working as it should and autodesk should fix it, however I advice you to not simply throw your hands up and refuse to use the tool because, as I've said, I've always been able to make it work for me by adjusting my workflow to suite the needs of the given scenario. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #40
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Sweet - got a message back from Autodesk today. Will be passed on to the devs!

Hopefully we can get this working in SP1 for 2014.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #41
HowardM
Digital Ho

--------------------->
FX TD
a large dark room . . . . ... . .. ...with bright monitors
United Kingdom

This is a very quick down and dirty way to cut for tearing ncloth!

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 10-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #42
Cyclingwanderer
portfolio

I'm sure it's been a while since this tread was posted.

I ran into this issue, and I normally don't post on forums, but seeing how this was very frustrating for me. I found my issue.

I am working with a complex piece of geometry. Essentially it was a roof, and I need to pull pegs out of it that are vertically aligned with pegs directly down from the roof, on a horizontal piece below it. So trying to line up edge loops along a diagonal plane did not seem like fun. So I was in search of a better way leading me to this thread.

Anyways. I followed all the instructions to a T, I even created a new cube to make sure I was doing it right. I was. come to find out I had one vertex that was not merged along the top of my roof, causing Maya to reject anything I told her to do in terms of cutting that piece of Geometry.

So another step in the troubleshooting, Check yo boarder edges!

reply share thread