Split Mesh with Project Curve

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2011   #1
Split Mesh with Project Curve

Does this work for anyone?

It seems to do absolutely nothing for me. Project Curve on mesh works OK, but the split doesn't.

Old 05 May 2011   #2
Works for me. Edit Mesh -> Project Curve on Mesh first, then do Edit Mesh -> Split mesh with projected curve, then do Mesh -> Separate.

Old 02 February 2012   #3
// Error: -projectedCurve flag used but curve not connected to mesh through polyProjectCurve node // // Warning: Can't perform polySplit1 on selection //
on separate:
// Error: pPlane2 has only one piece. Ignored. // // Error: Command polySeparate failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 02 February 2012   #4
Originally Posted by eikonoklastes: Does this work for anyone?

It seems to do absolutely nothing for me. Project Curve on mesh works OK, but the split doesn't.
Same issue since day 1. I have a tessellated fender from Alias. I project a curve, then try to split followed by separate. Nope. I cleaned the mesh, made sure all vertices are merged, still nothing. Another useless tool?

Old 02 February 2012   #5
working fine here...

Old 02 February 2012   #6
Heh, I should probably have updated this post.

It does work, but not like you would expect it to. Maya has a knack of doing that.

Select the mesh and the projected curve and then do the split.

I'm a bit stumped why this extra selection is necessary, considering the node is already attached to the mesh.

They probably figured that you might have multiple curves projected on a single mesh and would want to split only one or a few of them.

Considering that the primary use of the projection is to split the mesh, this seems like an unnecessary precaution. They could have put a "Split only using selected curves" option, but that might have made far too much sense.

Last edited by eikonoklastes : 02 February 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Old 02 February 2012   #7
I've never been able to get this to work on even a basic quad mesh, I get the same error as ALS.

Quote: Warning: Can't perform polySplit1 on selection //

Old 02 February 2012   #8
If it's working fine there, can you just create polygon plane, draw a curve, cut, then post the code steps from script editor?

Thanks

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 02 February 2012   #9
Same thing here too, no joy with a simple sphere (deleted history),

// Warning: line 0: Can't perform polySplit1 on selection //

I've tried selecting the projected curve first, then the mesh and vice versa, but get the same result.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03 March 2012   #10
Can someone post how the projection node connects to the mesh

I can't get this to work either. I get an error message saying that the curve projection node is not connected to the mesh. Could someone for whom this is working post what attributes are connecting from one node to the other? Odd how it works fine for some but not others.

Old 03 March 2012   #11
Originally Posted by Als: If it's working fine there, can you just create polygon plane, draw a curve, cut, then post the code steps from script editor?

Thanks

Als

Here you go:
polyPlane -w 1 -h 1 -sx 10 -sy 10 -ax 0 1 0 -cuv 2 -ch 1;
curve -d 3 -p 0.220766 0 0.958633 -p -0.12396 0 0.719061 -p -0.112372 0 0.347825 -p 0.189102 0 0.129899 -p 0.399367 0 -0.0666288 -p 0.0916747 0 -0.479987 -p -0.182702 0 -0.616624 -p -0.298262 0 -1.113251 -p -0.109706 0 -1.376641 -k 0 -k 0 -k 0 -k 1 -k 2 -k 3 -k 4 -k 5 -k 6 -k 6 -k 6 ;
move -r 0 0.306054 0 ;
select -tgl pPlane1 ;
polyProjectCurve -ch true -direction 0 1 0 -pointsOnEdges 0 "curve1" "pPlane1" ;
select -tgl pPlane1 ;
SplitMeshWithProjectedCurve;
performSplitMeshWithProjectedCurve 0;
makeCurveSplitConnections polySplit1 pPlaneShape1 {"polyProjectionCurve1_Shape1"};

Created a plane, then CV curve, projected the curve, held down shift and selected by plane, then did the split with curve operation. Easy peasy.

Old 03 March 2012   #12
Can you tell me your connections in the hypergraph?

Still no love here. Can you tell me what attributes are shown as connected for you in the Hypergraph between the plane and projected curve?

Old 03 March 2012   #13

And before I split the mesh with it: outMesh & worldMatrix, to inputMesh/inputMatrix.

Last edited by Kakkoii : 03 March 2012 at 06:20 AM.

Old 03 March 2012   #14
Thanks

I'll try again and report back

Old 04 April 2012   #15
Came across this thread while looking into these tools. Thought I'd add my findings.

1. Select the mesh and the curve and run "Project Curve On Mesh"
  2. There are multiple nodes being created with this process that when selected individually will give the appearance that the projected curve in the viewport is selected (open the hypershade to see the nodes). However, only one of these nodes, when selected, will make the following steps work, and it is not the one that gets selected when you select the projected curve in the viewport. Luckily, the correct node is automatically selected for you after running the "Project Curve on Mesh" command, so as long as you don't deselect anything, the following steps will work, otherwise you will have to find the correct node in the hypershade
  3. Shift-Select the mesh (the correct curve node and the mesh should now both be selected)
  4. Now run "Split Mesh with Projected Curve" (open the option box and choose the "Split and detach edges" option)
  5. Select the mesh
  6. Run the "Separate" command

reply share thread