Future of Maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #46
Originally Posted by royterr: Maya 2012 looks super cool for noobz but for professional maya users that have been using it for the last 10 years in the industry, it is a complete failure and couldnt get worst than that.

I have to highlight this comment as well sorry. OKay I understand Santa Claus didnt bring you what you wanted this christmas, but a lot of other people didnt get it either and yet they can take it in their stride.

Maya 2012 is not a "complete failure" there have been some nice developments, far from perfect but nice anyway. Apart from rendering perhaps, Maya is a fully functional software in game and tv. As far as film goes I wouldn't say its "fully" functioning but it still has a strong stand there too.

Old 03 March 2011   #47
Originally Posted by rBrady: I did hear that Nokia is completely moving to Windows Mobile for its mobile devices.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/10/nokia_ui_saga/

I don't know exactly what that means for Maya folks. May not effect us at all since the commercial business is still going. Just a conversation point.

I Guess Maya for iOS will be shelved then It's because in the Mobile arena they have been stagnating and lost most of their market share.

Last edited by KaMate : 03 March 2011 at 09:04 AM.

Old 03 March 2011   #48
Originally Posted by mercuito: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nokia haven't given up on Qt, they just sold the commercial licensing and services business to Digia. Nokia will still develop and support Qt

That's our understanding - I think things will be OK there.

Old 03 March 2011   #49
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Please stop embarrassing yourself further and stop posting.

hmm.... i really don't know why you feel ofended, all my critics are oriented towards Maya developement team. Sorry to disapoint you but Autodesk doesnt pay me to be a suckup!
when i see unprofessional work from Autodesk for exemple the retarded MentalRay integartion i will keep posting again and again and again.

Originally Posted by sacslacker: Wow - you seriously don't know what you're talking about. The api enhancements alone are huge. Add the new viewport stuff and yeah, you're clueless.

This the least what Autodesk should offer. I completly agree that the api and viewport enhancements are positive steps but i simply expect way more from Autodesk, before adding new features they should simply fix the curent bugs (specialy in the UI,rendering and modeling modules) that have been dragged around for years, i wonder who's clueless?

Originally Posted by sacslacker: I don't have a BIG brain
I agree with you there.

Good boy!

Originally Posted by Aikiman: Apart from rendering perhaps.

that's the whole point, why is the main renderer still broken and full of bugs?

Originally Posted by Aikiman: As far as film goes I wouldn't say its "fully" functioning but it still has a strong stand there too.

Why shouldn't it be "fully functunial" for film like max or other softwares? i think that this is simply unacceptable in 2011.

Last edited by royter : 03 March 2011 at 01:05 PM.

Old 03 March 2011   #50
I always find posts like this interesting, as an Alpha/Beta tester for the last 7years I know that the developers aren't just sitting on there backsides taking your subs and drinking cocktails.... RIGHT CORY??

2012 is worth it alone for the enhanced Viewport2 and I think it's really narrow minded to think this is a minor fix, it's a major upgrade, and it now works very well. I think the issue is that when Autodesk ask us what do you want, everybody says fix bugs, make it more stable, then you get the usual miserable gits saying, where's our new features. There's no winning on this one.

Old 03 March 2011   #51
in 2012 is a lot done under the hood... also in mr integration (extension attributes)...
you may see the fruits in the next version...

Old 03 March 2011   #52
Originally Posted by oglu: you may see the fruits in the next version...

or the version after that but definitely by 2015 or maybe by 2020? Can I haz kick ass modeling tools and a well integrated renderer now? I am not a tech wiz kid and rendering in MR drains me.

As much as I love Maya I also hate it. I think the fault is maybe with me for picking Maya many years ago knowing well that my main needs would be modeling/rendering and that I won't have a tech team to back me up.

At the time I tried Max, Maya and C4d. I just could not stand Max's UI so was left with C4d and Maya. Maya's UI felt clean and C4d was not that well know so I jumped on Maya bandwagon. I still prefer Maya's UI and think it's the business but........

I just want something that models well and has a modern well integrated renderer. To be honest Maya allows me to model any shape I want so I don't hate the modeling side too much but I don't know better having only used Maya. Apparently compared to Max and Modo Maya blows for modeling.

On the rendering side I absolutely hate Maya. It seems Vray (1k a pop) might be the answer but again it seems that it won't get the love that Vray for Max gets. Being a small man all the extra costs for various 2d/3d softwares add up. I keep trying to learn Modo and making a switch but lack of time and maybe some laziness has resulted in failure so far. Also the UI did not grab me much.

As someone previously mentioned it seems AD wants everyone to buy as many of their products as possible. So instead of having one polished main product have 2-3 semi polished ones.

Old 03 March 2011   #53
Originally Posted by Aikiman: Apart from rendering perhaps

All 3d asset have to be rendered eventually so rendering is an extremely important part. AD should provide Vray with Maya

Old 03 March 2011   #54
Some version ago, mentalray for maya was decent integration like any other package. But the last version of maya mental ray is out. I know the major industries not problem to write your own plugin, script and others.
We understand and respect the dev and the decision of AD, we wait, obviously because we have no chance to migrate in another pakage in a zip fastener, but when it finally will be integrated mental ray in Maya, will be the best possible integration of the world? Real?

Old 03 March 2011   #55
Originally Posted by royterr: This the least what Autodesk should offer. I completly agree that the api and viewport enhancements are positive steps but i simply expect way more from Autodesk, before adding new features they should simply fix the curent bugs (specialy in the UI,rendering and modeling modules) that have been dragged around for years, i wonder who's clueless?

As I understand it from the beta testers fixing bugs is exactly what has been done in 2012. But I guess you know better than people who have actually tried 2012.

Old 03 March 2011   #56
vray isnt the solution you may think... if you have to deal with tons of animated geometry, hair and particles, lots of layer and passes its no fun to work with vray...

Old 03 March 2011   #57
yes vray is not the solution, but it do a fast workflow.
Example Light shader in mental ray: Create light, go to custom shader, ins lightshader set the light, do the render(Thanks to wombat for great shader)

Vray: create light set light ok.

Mentalray ibl with sun&sky?

vray: domelight doing that.

and other simple integration that help user in all workflow.
Talking about the renderelement vRay and renderpasses in mentalray?

Old 03 March 2011   #58
Originally Posted by oglu: vray isnt the solution you may think... if you have to deal with tons of animated geometry, hair and particles, lots of layer and passes its no fun to work with vray...

Do you mean Vray in Maya or Vray in general ie. in Max too?

Old 03 March 2011   #59
max and maya... both arnt the golden eye...

for fast and dirty things vray is your best friend...
but if you have to deal with hundred of lightlinks and custom passes its not better than mr...

dont forget the new hypershade comping...
you are able to comp your passes before rendering...!

Last edited by oglu : 03 March 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Old 03 March 2011   #60
Originally Posted by DieMachinist: To be honest Maya allows me to model any shape I want so I don't hate the modeling side too much but I don't know better having only used Maya. Apparently compared to Max and Modo Maya blows for modeling.

There are two possible reasons for Maya sucking so bad as a modeling app:
a.) The Maya dev managers egos are so large that they can't possibly understand that there are other better modeling solutions out there.
b.) The Maya dev managers were born a little over 20 years ago thus they didn't have the chance to conduct a proper competitive analysis of other 3d modeling applications so as to realize what they did wrong.

Jokes aside. That is really the problem: ADSK doesn't care about giving Maya users decent modeling tools or doesn't know how. It's not about the number of tools, it's about how those tools can be used in the modeling process. I've said this a hundred times already, all that needs to be done is study some of the tools and functionality in Mirai and you're 70% there. I bet Bay Raitt wouldn't mind showcasing some of those features. But what do I know....

Thread Closed share thread