Future of Maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
Was a pretty simple scene if you got a complex Maya scene send it this way and I'll set it up in 501 so we can compare.

Modo got a direct import for Solidworks files but I dunno about rhino etc.

03 March 2011
@InfernalDarkness

i understand you, the flexibility of maya is very well.

03 March 2011
a lot to be said about never under estimating the power of community. when i dumped max 5 years ago i tested softimage and maya extensively. the sheer abundance of training material available and the very active community is a winner too but for me the real clincher is tool integration.

sure max is powerful but u need to run it with your finger on f1 because the workflow for everytool is different. so fume might be fast renderer but not if you got to read help archves to find out how it integrates with other tools etc etc. all these plugin developers have differnet ideal interfaces and i found it a nightmare: no unifying design paradigm .

i did a project with a couple fume guys last year incidentally and they were like wow maya fluids are sooo flexible ...they thought maya fluids a much more creative tool than fume...i was painting in volumes and using artisan. maybe that available in fume too but they hadn't read that help file yet. lol

im a bit worried about the idea of plugin integrations in maya but they WILL be useful.

things have sure changed since 5 years ago. id kill for non linear character pipeline and from time to time i check out soft and houdini.

maya is like that girlfriend i should get rid of but i still love her.

Last edited by republicavfx : 03 March 2011 at 01:44 PM.

03 March 2011
i don't think any of these software programs are going anywhere soon

Quote: The company hosted journalists for two days of in-depth demos with Autodesk product managers and engineers, giving them a sneak peek at a new gaming technology called "Project Skyline" that could interlink Autodesk's content creation products in future releases to an even deeper degree. "With these latest versions, we really are driving commonality in the UI," said senior vice president Marc Petit, who runs Autodesk's media and entertainment business. "As far as we're concerned, 2012 is tomorrow morning. Our users need an integrated pipeline now and that means getting that pipeline right out of the box."

i think this quote will clear up the future question

Quote: Responding to the perennial question about Autodesk's crowded animation package offerings, Petit offered little room for speculation. "We aren't going to get rid of one animation program, period," he said. "Customers of each package, whether it is Maya, 3ds Max or Softimage, mostly tell us, 'Don't move my cheese.' It's as simple as that. But we also know that they are using two, if not all three of these packages in the same pipeline. So how do we respond to that? By enhancing the commonality between them. The new artists we're seeing rising up through the ranks are 'suite students': they expect the UIs to work together. They don't expect modeling and animation to be separate as it was fifteen years ago.

03 March 2011
Maya does have a future but your POV will always be different depending on whether Maya is your primary app or not. If you are a small studio or freelancer and all you use is Maya for animation then of course you will have a concern over its future in some areas, as mentioned FX is sadly lacking. Having said that though nCloth is one of the best cloth solvers out there and though nParticles are pretty clunky it does have some good functionality even if you have to code to get what you want.

One of the big problems with Maya particle FX is its inability to deal with huge data sets. Anything over a million particles and Maya chokes, but anything less is just not suited for FX in production which is where inhouse tools come to the rescue, sadly though for the small studio there are no inhouse tools to fall back on, and this is where the concern is.

I have to give some credit to Maya fluids though, yes it is slow and yes it is hard to make big FX making it differcult to pick up and learn but with the right hardware it does produce and is still used to make movies.

So to sum up I guess even in FX Maya is still a primary tool if you have the resources to back you up, if you rely solely on Maya for everything then that will make it differcult but I think for those that do sooner or later you have to get out of the mindset that one product can and will do everything you need and start to reach out for other products whether you like it or not.

Last edited by Aikiman : 03 March 2011 at 08:42 PM.

03 March 2011
Yes Marc Petit made it clear. The terminology and look/feel of all 3 apps will/should slowely merge and newbies will use suites ala Adobe CS. If there's going to be anything like a nextgen uber tool, it will probably be something new, like Unity3D+ICE for game/film studios.

03 March 2011
I feel the direction of Autodesk is to bait the users to buy all the applications (Maya, Max, SoftImage, Mudbox, MotionBuilder, Composite, etc.). Give just a sample of feature to one application as an allure or bait to buy the full feature in another application. Autodesk has to make money back for all the purchases that they did. Is it better to have 5 applications that behave as one or one application that behaves as 5?

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by SGIFreak: Why is mentalray still broken? When you have a big brain, you can make almost anything with it. Ok the speed is slow in dof and motion blur, but we have composite. wish you renderman in maya?

i dont have a BIG brain but it looks alot like the human average.

MR is broken because:

its full of bugs

not reliable in a production environment, MR can run out of memory anytime just mix 3 or 4 things for exemple fur+displacement+fluids+lense shader and MR4Maya will choke.

2d motion blur+ particles = crash

motion blur doesnt support fluids ( quick reminder: we are in 2011).

MR4Maya is confusing, options dont get grayed out when they get overrided by others (exemple light shader).

the render pass system is broken

the implementation is a total failure just try scanline wih motion blur

the list goes on and on for MR4MAYA and thats just for rendering

Maya 2012 looks super cool for noobz but for professional maya users that have been using it for the last 10 years in the industry, it is a complete failure and couldnt get worst than that.

03 March 2011
Quote: Maya 2012 looks super cool for noobz but for professional maya users that have been using it for the last 10 years in the industry, it is a complete failure and couldnt get worst than that.

Have you used Maya 2012 yet in production?

I don't mind being called a... I don't know what Hot Topic word you just used there... Boob? Boobz? I'll judge Maya 2012 after it's released - Maya 2009 still pays the bills here, if there are some improvements and updates that will shave off a few hours a week, I'm certainly interested. Having a viewport that can push polys around better? Big deal, for me. It'll save me time test-rendering, if nothing else.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

03 March 2011
I have to agree about mental ray and it's integration in maya, it's really quite buggy mostly as soon as you try to do some complex thing but yes there are always workaround, personnaly I find it frustrating, mostly because I teach it, and it is sometime a real nightmare to debug the scenes! some want photoreal, other really toon stuff, other mix of the two with passes without passes, motion blur, fur, things get mesy and as soon as you add reference on top of that the all thing just colappse, so I see myself spending really a lot of time trying to overcome that and it's annoying and sucking my energy...sorry about the rent.
Modeling part is fine but it's true that's it would need a real upgrade, yes you can model about anything you need already, but truely a good symmetry system, a good paint on object (I mean painting multiple objects on an object), retopology stuff, all that could be enhance and it would be great.
I think people complaining about modeling got a point, I personnaly still use Silo and find it much quicker than maya to do any organic stuff, as for Modo never tried it.

I personnaly would really like a real update to the fur system which hasn't been touch for YEARSS!!, com'on you got shave in XSI! maya fur system is really out of date...

Something simple I like to see for animation also is the ability to move key inside the timeline "ala" MAX, since they are trying to make the user more confortable switching for one apps to another, giving the animator the option to do that would be great (meaning moving key without pressing "MAJ" key), also an ability to have color key if it's a rotate key, translate ect..would make life easier..To me those are quite simple things that would really help maya staying on top of the industry.

BTW I love what I see on the demo of viewport 2.0 and the new fluids system! so keep going guys, that's a good job.

cheers

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by royterr: Maya 2012 looks super cool for noobz but for professional maya users that have been using it for the last 10 years in the industry, it is a complete failure and couldnt get worst than that.

Please stop embarrassing yourself further and stop posting.

03 March 2011
I haven't read every word of every post, but I haven't seen anyone broach the subject of Nokia giving up on QT. Personally I don't really see it as a problem. They spun it off and they have some guaranteed clients. Not a bad way to run a business. Maybe Autodesk will just pick them up to ensure the API has future development. What ever happens to QT, it will effect Maya's future. Anyway, there is another log for the fire folks.

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by rBrady: I haven't read every word of every post, but I haven't seen anyone broach the subject of Nokia giving up on QT. Personally I don't really see it as a problem. They spun it off and they have some guaranteed clients. Not a bad way to run a business. Maybe Autodesk will just pick them up to ensure the API has future development. What ever happens to QT, it will effect Maya's future. Anyway, there is another log for the fire folks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nokia haven't given up on Qt, they just sold the commercial licensing and services business to Digia. Nokia will still develop and support Qt

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by royterr: Maya 2012 looks super cool for noobz but for professional maya users that have been using it for the last 10 years in the industry, it is a complete failure and couldnt get worst than that.

Wow - you seriously don't know what you're talking about. The api enhancements alone are huge. Add the new viewport stuff and yeah, you're clueless.

Originally Posted by royterr: i dont have a BIG brain ...

I agree with you there.

03 March 2011
I did hear that Nokia is completely moving to Windows Mobile for its mobile devices.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/10/nokia_ui_saga/

I don't know exactly what that means for Maya folks. May not effect us at all since the commercial business is still going. Just a conversation point.

Thread Closed share thread