Maya 2012 announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #61
Linear workflow is easier to accomplish outside of your 3D application. I don't know anyone in VFX that uses either the Vray LWF or the Maya tools. If you keep your files linear regardless of tool, then you can use them in just about anything (Maya, Renderman, Nuke, Vray. . .etc.)

(I'm sure someone does, but no idea why)

Just save as EXR from photoshop and tadaa, linear. Render. Comp. Etc. All without having to touch, pass through, use or look at a 3D package.

But that's another story. . .

Old 03 March 2011   #62
Originally Posted by chuckie7413: Hey David,

Not sure, Nothingness mentioned it. Sounds too good to be true if it were the case.
Rich

I didn't mention it, but asked if this could be a reason it's now unloadable!
Maybe it's just a logical consequence of using the new inplementation. Time will tell.

Old 03 March 2011   #63
Originally Posted by Bitter: Just save as EXR from photoshop and tadaa, linear. Render. Comp. Etc. All without having to touch, pass through, use or look at a 3D package.

That still leaves 2d/3d procedurals and color swatches. Granted color swatches probably won't make it to the final render, but for initial light blocking where you just need general colors for smaller objects in the scene they are nice to use temporarily.

"On ne sort pas DU REVE."

Old 03 March 2011   #64
they talk about ptex support in viewport 2.0, but what about ptex support in Mr?

cheers

Old 03 March 2011   #65
Seriously guys, maya has a check box in the render settings called "enable color management". When I click on it in maya 2012, does it do something useful? Because in Maya 2011 it sure doesn't.

Old 03 March 2011   #66
The DMM plug-in available with Maya is a full-feature version with some simulation limitations.

and i miss the Pixar SubDís in 2012

Last edited by SGIFreak : 03 March 2011 at 09:27 PM.

Old 03 March 2011   #67
Originally Posted by thematt: they talk about ptex support in viewport 2.0, but what about ptex support in Mr?

cheers

No, Ptex is not supported yet in mr.

Old 03 March 2011   #68
Hey CGBeige - or anyone in the know. Does Mental Ray support Ptex in this version? And is the linear workflow fixed?

Edit: the guy one post up beat me to it.

Cheers,
Matt

Old 03 March 2011   #69
Originally Posted by SGIFreak: The DMM plug-in available with Maya is a full-feature version with some simulation limitations.

How is it the full feature version, if it has limitations?

Old 03 March 2011   #70
Originally Posted by Nothingness: I didn't mention it, but asked if this could be a reason it's now unloadable!
Maybe it's just a logical consequence of using the new inplementation. Time will tell.

Sorry. You mentioned it in your question ;-)

Old 03 March 2011   #71
Originally Posted by chuckie7413: Sorry. You mentioned it in your question ;-)

Ha, nice. Freudian slip?

And linear swatches. . .meh. Procedurals are internally linear. Maya's color system that's built in should operate linearly by default. Back in the olden days their color selections were always linear and 0-1 normalized.

Old 03 March 2011   #72
Originally Posted by KidderD: How is it the full feature version, if it has limitations?

heh. ya, it stops when you have too many elements.

Old 03 March 2011   #73
Originally Posted by cgbeige: heh. ya, it stops when you have too many elements.

how many? maybe 3 objekts?

Old 03 March 2011   #74
the most I read the most I feel it's gonna be another half done version, hope I'm wrong 'cause my patience really is reaching the limits here..:/

So no ptex in Mr for now, what exactly is the point of having ptex in the viewport2.0 then?, we can't render it ,
I'm really gonna fight hard this year to have Vray 'cause I'm sick of waiting for mental ray to be half of what it's supposed to already be.

Old 03 March 2011   #75
Originally Posted by Bitter: Procedurals are internally linear. Maya's color system that's built in should operate linearly by default.

Once I pick a color in the AE for one of the swatches for the procedurals that looks right to my eye it needs to be gamma corrected if I'm not mistaken. For instance if I use the 'cloth' and pick a light blue for 'u color' and another blue for 'v color' they need to be gamma corrected before being run through one of the lens shaders.

"On ne sort pas DU REVE."

Thread Closed share thread