Maya 2012 announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
looks to be a nice release overall, it almost lives up to the 2012 prophecy

No news on the turtle renderer is strange though.

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by Bitter: There are indeed significant enhancements to mental ray

I know you can't say anything, but I would love to hear more about this. The info on the links posted in this thread only have a very short section on mental ray features that mainly center around support for tif and exr files. I hope there is more than that.

"On ne sort pas DU REVE."

03 March 2011
i know nothing about new mr features...
but mental ray is now built in with the new extension attributes... if you unload mr in the plugin manager every node is gone... so you are able to load a maya without mr... there is nothing left than... in 2011 you cant get rid of mr....

Last edited by oglu : 03 March 2011 at 07:05 PM.

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by oglu: i know nothing about new mr features...
but mental ray is now built in with the new extension attributes... if you unload mr in the plugin manager every node is gone... so you are able to load a maya without mr... there is nothing left than... in 2011 you cant get rid of mr....

Maybe this let's you upgrade to newer mr versions? Would be a logical step. Now MR updates come together with the the maya ones.

03 March 2011
i assume its a good way to kick mr and use vray or renderman...
i have no idea...

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by oglu: i know nothing about new mr features...

This does sound very interesting. Like Nothingness said, maybe this will mean mental images will be able to release hotfixes when they want rather than them and us having to wait for autodesk to package them with new maya fixes.

Would love to see this.

Rich

03 March 2011
I just saw at the new 3ds max features they included iray as a seperate renderer. My fear is that they will distinguish these 2 application where 3ds max will be more for visualization and maya for feature and game. Funny cause i though 3ds max always had a lead in this gaming industry.

03 March 2011
If Autodesk sticks to using the same version of mr for each brand of their software then you can see the features available overall by looking at each package.

Maya has the addition of the String Options so that these features are accessible. Unlike other packages where you have to have a geo shader, etc.

That isn't ideal, but these features generally work fine. An example would be the built-in IBL that was made available previously. It works inside Maya as intended, just not exposed. The reasons these new features aren't exposed are anyone's guess.

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by chuckie7413: This does sound very interesting. Like Nothingness said, maybe this will mean mental images will be able to release hotfixes when they want rather than them and us having to wait for autodesk to package them with new maya fixes. Would love to see this.

Hmm. . .that would be interesting wouldn't it? I missed that feature, where was that listed?

03 March 2011
its the first use of those extension attributes...
as far as i unsterstand are those attributes a huge maya core improvement to get plugins deeper into maya... or out of maya like mr..

Last edited by oglu : 03 March 2011 at 07:41 PM.

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by Bitter: Hmm. . .that would be interesting wouldn't it? I missed that feature, where was that listed?

Hey David,

Not sure, Nothingness mentioned it. Sounds too good to be true if it were the case. This is one of the reasons why we purchased a vray license because of the great support and ability to get bugs addressed very quickly in production.

If this will now be possible with mr then that would be very very promising.

Best,

Rich

03 March 2011
Is linear workflow fixed???

Also, cgBeige, how is nvidia performance on the mac now? Last I heard, both maya viewport 2.0 and mudbox performed terribly on nvidia cards vs ati cards.

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by fahr: Is linear workflow fixed???

Also, cgBeige, how is nvidia performance on the mac now? Last I heard, both maya viewport 2.0 and mudbox performed terribly on nvidia cards vs ati cards.

Viewport 2 and Mudbox are good with the Quadro 4000 Mac edition but it's not as fast as with the Radeon 5870. I'm working on a review of the Quadro but I'm waiting on a bug fix for a nasty kernel panic/Mudbox GLSL problem with the Quadro.

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by cgbeige: Viewport 2 and Mudbox are good with the Quadro 4000 Mac edition but it's not as fast as with the Radeon 5870. I'm working on a review of the Quadro but I'm waiting on a bug fix for a nasty kernel panic/Mudbox GLSL problem with the Quadro.

Good to know nvidia is performing better now.

Hmm... it's almost like the words "linear" and "workflow" used together in a sentence causes beta testers to suffer small mind wipes.....

Thread Closed share thread