Maya 2012 announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #16
No word on Turtle ???

I would sure love the bugfixes. In a way i expected this release to be more solid than 2011. I hope it's speedy in workflow like 2010.

Old 03 March 2011   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagon1978
WOW, we have a viewport that works with mia_material_x_passes shader! in 2011! now i´m really excited!
no really, this should be some kind of joke

mia_material_x_passes is the only mr shader supported?

There are other mental ray shaders supported (car paint for example) but I haven't tried them all since I don't use mr anymore.

Old 03 March 2011   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness
No word on Turtle ???

I would sure love the bugfixes. In a way i expected this release to be more solid than 2011. I hope it's speedy in workflow like 2010.

2011 was the culmination of 2 releases, why would you expect that?

Old 03 March 2011   #19
Dave,

are there any improvements in linear workflow and the colour management? I know that 2011 was the first step but still kinda complicated so have they improved it to make it more artist friendly?

Old 03 March 2011   #20
The improvements I can see here define an interesting direction Autodesk wants to go with maya. It seems that the game industry will have the most benefit of these new tools.
But maybe Im wrong...it just smells like it.

Blog

Old 03 March 2011   #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellios
2011 was the culmination of 2 releases, why would you expect that?

The whole problem was mainly the usage of Qt. I haven't worked with it in windows, but on the mac it's rather annoying compared to the previous one. It's slower and certain things just doesn't work sometimes.
Like having multiple windows open, and then command+w just works once and not anymore for the rest. Also, it bahaved so much worse when a window has focus on an input field. Something that wasn't really so before.

Basically, when working in 2011 it all looked and felt slower. All i use 2011 for is the 64bit rendering. And even that is giving me problems.

Old 03 March 2011   #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness
The whole problem was mainly the usage of Qt. I haven't worked with it in windows, but on the mac it's rather annoying compared to the previous one. It's slower and certain things just doesn't work sometimes.
Like having multiple windows open, and then command+w just works once and not anymore for the rest. Also, it bahaved so much worse when a window has focus on an input field. Something that wasn't really so before.

Basically, when working in 2011 it all looked and felt slower. All i use 2011 for is the 64bit rendering. And even that is giving me problems.

Yes i agree, im assuming based on the comments by david that well get some UI speed improvements.

Old 03 March 2011   #23
Well, someone in the "Maya 2012" thread (here in CGTalk at the "News" area) mentioned "New Modeling Tools", anything worth looking?

Old 03 March 2011   #24
2012 is much faster in OS X than 2011 because Qt alien widgets (the stuff that makes it quick in Linux and Windows was late being ported to OS X). It makes a huge difference in overall responsiveness. I'm dying to get V-Ray for 2012 so I can get out of 2011 now.

Old 03 March 2011   #25
for me the viewport 2 is the greatest new feature...
cause now it supports everything i need for modeling...
and its really fast...

Old 03 March 2011   #26
Anything new for character deformation?

Old 03 March 2011   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuka3000
Well, someone in the "Maya 2012" thread (here in CGTalk at the "News" area) mentioned "New Modeling Tools", anything worth looking?

new extrude tool with inset.

Old 03 March 2011   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
for me the viewport 2 is the greatest new feature...
cause now it supports everything i need for modeling...
and its really fast...

Understatement of the year

Old 03 March 2011   #29
Hey cgbeige, any news on the bug fixing deparment? (that you might be able to talk about).

Any information would be apreciated.

Old 03 March 2011   #30
A lot more info in here

Welcome to What's New in Autodesk Maya 2012!

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory/maya-1

Thread Closed share thread