Maya 2012 announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
Maya 2012 announced

Unofficial, I guess, until later today, but here it is:

http://area.autodesk.com/maya2012

03 March 2011
Please let this Digital Molecular Matter plug-in be everything I want it to be. It looks to be a relatively modest update, but the improvements are certainly welcome.

I don't see any mention of mentalray shaders working in Viewport 2.0. Hope I'm wrong, because the other stuff looks great!

03 March 2011
Am I crazy or the passes with render nodes is just a render node to get the multi layer shader straight to render view? There are some images connected by another node though.

I´m not too excited with the new stuff. The animation thing and the viewport looks great, but I won´t be naive again and be happy with those before I try them (everything always works great in the demos, and then...well you know).

No bug fixing this time? Or there isn´t a list just yet? I would like a good bunch of them to get fixed.

03 March 2011
quite disappointing.... if this is all there is in 2012 I'll stay on 2011...

03 March 2011
I have to check my NDA because I don't think I can't say much other than it's a solid release and worth the upgrade IMO. I'll be writing a review but it probably won't be for Ars. I have another large publication that's interested but I can't say it's for sure yet.

and there are tons of bug fixes. That's probably why you're not excited about the feature set.

Last edited by cgbeige : 03 March 2011 at 03:25 PM.

03 March 2011
Unhappy

no mental ray enhancements? this is a joke?
at least viewport 2.0 is working with mental ray shaders??

03 March 2011
You had to expect the Substances and Craft Animation because they were in the Subscription Advantage Pack released last fall. Of the two, I liked the substances and do not even load the plug-in for the Craft stuff. I do hope they integrated the substances better into Viewport 2.0, as well as supporting all of the shaders. The way it is in 2011, many scenes I make don't show everything except in a Maya Software rendering.

<* Wes *>

03 March 2011
@Dagon

i doubt that they will work with mray shaders since the guy is talking about the cgfx shaders and these substance textures.
No word from mray....

I wonder if those procedural textures are usable with mray...that actually would be great. Just remember the bonus tools procedural textures which only work with maya software !!

Blog

03 March 2011
The humanIK stuff looks cool. I've been really wanting them to rework FBIK and make it actually work nicely in Maya...

When will this come out?

Last edited by techmage : 03 March 2011 at 03:45 PM.

03 March 2011
yes, viewport 2 works quite well with mental ray mia_material_x_passes shaders. Diffuse, specular (with maps), glossiness (with maps), etc. The only thing I think doesn't work is additive colour (Advanced self illumination) on those.

Shawn - I just read my NDA from RazPR and it says "Please remember that all of the contents of the press kit and this email are under embargo until March 1, 2011 @ 8:30am EST." so it looks like I'm allowed to talk about this stuff. Let me know if that's separate from the beta NDA.

03 March 2011
The Mudbox video mentions Ptex support in Maya.

I'm really hoping the color profiles for textures work correctly now (and support gamma correction of color swatches).

I'm also really hoping the channel bug de-selection bug was fixed... yeah, I know, we all have our pet bugs that we'd all like to see fixed, but that stuff means a lot more to me than fluids or DMM (though undoubtedly that excites many others).

03 March 2011
I for one am pretty happy with the features demonstrated so far, viewport 2.0 looks amazing - everything I have always dreamed for.

03 March 2011
The render target and layer texture workflow is an interesting idea. If I take the time to do some grading and comping in Maya it would be nice if I could port that look to an extrenal compositor, though. So that way the time I spend on it isn't wasted and I don't end up having to recreate that look over again with a different toolset in an external compositor if I end up liking it. Perhaps a Maya to Nuke script is in order...hmmmmm...

"On ne sort pas DU REVE."

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by cgbeige: yes, viewport 2 works quite well with mental ray mia_material_x_passes shaders. Diffuse, specular (with maps), glossiness (with maps), etc. The only thing I think doesn't work is additive colour (Advanced self illumination) on those.

WOW, we have a viewport that works with mia_material_x_passes shader! in 2011! now i´m really excited!
no really, this should be some kind of joke

mia_material_x_passes is the only mr shader supported?

03 March 2011
I really love alot of the features for fluids, as well as viewport 2.0 and render passes.

As to the intergration of all these plugins...

Maya team: take a lesson from 3dsmax, stop integrating plugins without unifying the GUI or well need our own XBR!!

p.s why such a big previz push this year?

Last edited by Stellios : 03 March 2011 at 03:50 PM.

Thread Closed share thread