Free MEL building/skyscraper generator: KludgeCity

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2010
Just ran across this. KludgeCity was included on a popular software pirate's collection of Maya scripts and plugins!

http://********.com/2010/03/autodes...ons-2-5189.html

I'm actually pretty dang proud of this.

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by EdtheHobbit: Just ran across this. KludgeCity was included on a popular software pirate's collection of Maya scripts and plugins!

I'm actually pretty dang proud of this.

Hahaha!

Though you ought to be a little more careful, peeps around here don't take lightly topics about pseudopiracy...

Last edited by coccosoids : 03 March 2010 at 08:55 PM.

04 April 2010
Quote: Though you ought to be a little more careful, peeps around here don't take lightly topics about pseudopiracy...

There's really not much I can do about it, and so far as I can tell, the link I posted only has legit free scripts and plugins in the download. So, it's all fun. If they want to get technical about it, I'll take down the link...

... still proud of it, though.

04 April 2010
KludgeCity 0.1.7 is now up and available.

I still haven't finished the nightscape workflow, but there are a couple additions here that make the tool a little bit more production-friendly. Building names can now auto-increment, which means that you can randomize and generate without worrying about naming conflicts. I've also added a tab with a few handy tools for pivot controls, moving objects about, creating hierarchy chains, etc. These will expand as I find myself using other MEL tools in conjunction with this one.

I've also made the download a .zip instead of just the .mel text file. Included in the zip are all of the footprints used to create the cityscape in the 0.1.7 example image below, so you can play around.

By the way, for the brave at heart, I added a function that will let you generate a large number of randomized buildings with one click -- just select a bunch of footprints in the viewport, and type "randCity" or "randCityRad" in the script editor. Eventually these will be expanded into a larger set of tools for creating one-click cities.

04 April 2010
just generated sixty buildings (around 3.5 million triangles) using one of the new random-city procedures. The entire process took a little under ten minutes on a 2GHz dual-core with 4 GB of memory.

The new version will also include visual feedback when generating buildings. This slows down the script by a bit, but it's too cool to *not* do.

Still working on the nightscape workflow. And one of these days I'll update the tutorial. For now, apparently someone on youtube has done so for me! It's from a much earlier version, but I was tickled to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xHE...feature=related

04 April 2010
nice ... looking forward to it ...

04 April 2010
For those following the thread...

The next version will include:
  • generate an entire city worth of buildings with a click
  • control the random city generation with custom attributes on footprints
  • watch your buildings and cities as they are built in real-time
  • full nightscape workflow with a couple of example HDR texture sheets
  • new set of procedures for quickly creating unique footprints
  • ability to set color values for created shaders inside the user interface
Look for the update some time next week.

04 April 2010
one word .... AWESOME ! ..... great cant wait thanks once again !

04 April 2010
Quote: The next version will include:
  • generate an entire city worth of buildings with a click
  • control the random city generation with custom attributes on footprints
  • watch your buildings and cities as they are built in real-time
  • full nightscape workflow with a couple of example HDR texture sheets
  • new set of procedures for quickly creating unique footprints
  • ability to set color values for created shaders inside the user interface
Look for the update some time next week.

holy cow, now that's a serious update

04 April 2010
You rock - I seriously can't wait for the next version.

04 April 2010
I haven't posted in this thread for a while, but I just need to join the chorus here: Amazing work, Ed!
Thank you so much again for making this available to us!

Cheers and keep up the great work!

04 April 2010
Thanks for the support guys!

I've decided to completely start from scratch on the way interior geometry is generated, so the Big Awesome Update will have to be pushed back by a couple of weeks. The end result will be a much more accurate nightscape "look", and will allow for interior-lit buildings that don't look like poop any time there is ANY light in the scene. The new methodology should also

I've also decided that this next update will be officially called "Version 1.0" I think it has become feature-rich enough to consider it a usable tool.

If you use KludgeCity, I would love to see what you come up with -- send me some images!!

I'm also considering making the tool after v.1 a five-dollar purchase on CreativeCrash. Any opinions?

04 April 2010
First off I have to chime in with the others here - thanks a lot for the great work, Ed

Originally Posted by EdtheHobbit: I'm also considering making the tool after v.1 a five-dollar purchase on CreativeCrash. Any opinions?

That sounds more than reasonable to me and I suggest you do so. IMHO it is much better to charge a little and be happy than going for the "donate if you like it" route - as people rarely do so despite liking it
This usually only leads to the developer being bummed if noone donates, canning the public support.

So, let me thank you again for your great work - and definitely charge us that money
cheers

04 April 2010
I totally agree with Wizzackr and want to thank you again for sharing this till now. I haven't used in production but just fooling around pretty often. Thanks again for sharing. It is a wonderful tool

04 April 2010
ya but u must also remember I believe CC has a keeps around 30-40% of the sales made. soo thats basically 2 dollars that goes to them.

I personally am not a fan of the whole "hey guys I wanted to help the community, so heres a little side project Im doing, want to release it out to the public, then im gonna charge for it".

5 dollars is not much. but if it gets to the point, where the creator (in this case EdtheHobbit) life gets busy soo puts the script on hold, or cant think of new features to put in, or hits a dead end on some part of the script and stops, what we get is a 5 dollar script that does half the things, properly, the other half does is halfway, whatever the scenario may be. We as the public who bought it will in the end feel jipped. again, thats my opinion. Who says that after a next version. the price goes up. I have seen it happen here in this forum, wher version 1 is $10 dollas v1.5 hits $50 and all of a sudden v2 is over a $100. And im sure many of you have also seen this.

Now dont get me wrong. Im not saying that this will happen. I personally dont like it.

I have written a script of my own, which in my case works well with kludge. I send in a small version to Ed, so he can incorporate it with what he has, as a contribution. But you wont see what I have given him for another couple weeks. So im just gonna release a newer updated version here, Once I finish off the UI portion and finished my finals for school.

those are my two cents.

Thread Closed share thread