Free MEL building/skyscraper generator: KludgeCity

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2010
currently developing the nightscape workflow, which will be a very important part of the short film I'm working on.

03 March 2010
from the look of the screen shot,it looks like your adding ceiling lights to the top of each floor.
is that a shader or actual geometry?

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by brjig: from the look of the screen shot,it looks like your adding ceiling lights to the top of each floor.
is that a shader or actual geometry?

Right now they're just shaders, but I may change the way that works in the future.

03 March 2010
Shaders lights are cool, they're a lot quicker to render than what Spots or IES lights would be with skyscrapers.

03 March 2010
Ed this script is really fantastic, thanks for putting this out there for folks to try out

A couple suggestions that I thought might be a cool addition:

- Can it have a presets button in the template, like whats found in other AE templates? be very helpful for generating similar buildings without me having to record all my construction settings and re-input them manually.

- Having the script group all the geometrey it created and give the group the building name.

again great stuff with this!

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by JasonA: Ed this script is really fantastic, thanks for putting this out there for folks to try out

A couple suggestions that I thought might be a cool addition:

- Can it have a presets button in the template, like whats found in other AE templates? be very helpful for generating similar buildings without me having to record all my construction settings and re-input them manually.

- Having the script group all the geometrey it created and give the group the building name.

again great stuff with this!

I'm working on a way to save and load preset text files, but I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. Whenever I'm done with this script, I want to be able to load an entire folder worth of presets complete with footprints, and generate an entire city.

Buuuut, in the short term... The grouping issue is going to be dealt with in the next version. I still haven't figured out exactly what I want my hierarchy to look like, but you can expect an update probably within a week or so.

03 March 2010
Kludge v 0.1.5

version 0.1.5 is a relatively minor update, but an important one.

All generated geometry is now grouped under a helper object called "buildingName_architect" and a geometry group called "buildingName_grp". Eventually, these groups will be broken down by geometry type to make for easy selections and manipulations.

I'm working on two major updates at the moment -- the nightscape workflow, and a nicer set of UV procedures that will eliminate stretching. Along with that will be UV'ed ledges and cornices. After that, I'm planning to add a randomizer and figure out how to save out presets. If anyone knows how to write and read from a text file in MEL, I'd love to get your insights.

03 March 2010
Your script is great.
I have a request for night workflow. You are able to ins a random poly plane behind the mirrors for fake illumination? I'm use that for my night workflow.

Cheers!

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by ytsejam1976: Your script is great.
I have a request for night workflow. You are able to ins a random poly plane behind the mirrors for fake illumination? I'm use that for my night workflow.

Cheers!

The basic workflow will be something along these lines. We're going to be using illuminated image maps on the walls and ceiling of each cell, and using refraction color to determine whether or not an individual window is lit. It's a kind of hack-n-slash approach, but it will produce decent enough effects.

03 March 2010
Sorry for the relative dearth of updates. 0.1.6 will be a fairly minor update, but I have big things on the horizon for this script. Look for the next release some time next week.

03 March 2010
Looking forward to it ..... Thanks ...

03 March 2010
New version, 0.1.6 has been uploaded.

All of these buildings were created using the default footprint and the new "randomizer" feature.

0.1.6 also includes a new layout, which will let me expand things a little easier in new versions.

Right click to download here

03 March 2010
Thanks Ed, once again!

03 March 2010
thanks man !

03 March 2010
Thanks so much for keeping up the support of this script. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Thread Closed share thread