Free MEL building/skyscraper generator: KludgeCity

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2010
Free MEL building/skyscraper generator: KludgeCity

Version 0.2.0 BETA is uploaded! BETA means no complaints if it don't work!
The old version is still up as well.

DOWNLOAD HERE!

Hello all! This tool is being developed as part of my short film project, "The Sum of Parts". It is open-source and freely available for anyone to use or edit.

In order to install KludgeCity, simply right-click the link on my site, and save the KludgeCity.mel file to your maya scripts directory. This is usually located in My Documents > Maya > Maya (Version) > Scripts. If you have Maya open, restart Maya. Then, type the following code into the Script Editor.

source KludgeCity; KludgeCity; 

You can download the .mel file here: http://whetstonevfx.com/kludgecity.html

Last edited by EdtheHobbit : 09 September 2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: update

02 February 2010
I just tried it out and it's pretty awesome. I saw you have use qTown as well. Can they work together?

Nice work!

02 February 2010
how are the UVs after creating a building?

02 February 2010
Hi Ed,

Thats a neat mel script you've made there! Just a minor quirk with it nothing major I get 3 line errors with it unable to find the shaders for walls, ceil and glass then it opens the connection editor (is that Maya or your script doing that?) The hypershade contains the three unknown nodes.
Maybe its my version of Maya and some preferences Ive mucked around with in MR.
Maya2008 ext2 OSX

Anyway cool script dude.

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by bbigger: I just tried it out and it's pretty awesome. I saw you have use qTown as well. Can they work together?

Nice work!

I suppose they could, but it's not part of the pipeline at the moment. I'm working on a way to create a set of pre-built modules that you can use to build an entire cityscape from, but that's for another version. Thanks for trying it out!

Originally Posted by Aikiman: Thats a neat mel script you've made there! Just a minor quirk with it nothing major I get 3 line errors with it unable to find the shaders for walls, ceil and glass then it opens the connection editor (is that Maya or your script doing that?) The hypershade contains the three unknown nodes.
Maybe its my version of Maya and some preferences Ive mucked around with in MR.
Maya2008 ext2 OSX

Unfortunately, KludgeCity requires Maya 2009 +

Originally Posted by pix3lm0nk: how are the UVs after creating a building?

The UVs are currently only generated for the interior walls and windows. They are randomly distributed on an 8x8 UV grid, giving you 64 different variations using a single texture in a single shader. EDIT: there is an example of the generated UVs here: http://www.whetstonevfx.com/kludgecity_tutorial.html

Last edited by EdtheHobbit : 05 May 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: update

02 February 2010
Just wanted to say thanks for an awesome script. Haven't tested extensively yet but it looks very cool!

*beer/cheers smiley here*

02 February 2010
Tutorial added. You can find it here.

Hope everybody enjoys!

02 February 2010
This is a great script! I'm excited about the announced features too. I'm going to go ahead and donate to the cause. Looking forward to the next versions already.

Again, thanks for providing this to the community!

02 February 2010
Wow! Thanks a lot. This looks awesome!
I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance.

Cheers and many thanks again!

02 February 2010
Thanks a lot, Ed. That looks really sweet!

- Jason

02 February 2010
Looks incredible! Great work!

02 February 2010
Thanks for the interest! I'll be adding new features as I go, and will probably release a new build about once a week. In the mean time, I'll be doing rolling updates to the script, so there may be new features that are not covered in the documentation yet.

02 February 2010
Oh my. Thanks man. I just messed around with it and its pretty damned fun.Thank you so much for sharing. Really appreciate it.

02 February 2010
Bookmarked with all caps on
It will be the first thing to try next time I have to make buildings.
The script and the responses appear promising
Thanks

Thread Closed share thread