Individiual Environment to Reflect for an Object in the Scene.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2009
Wow when I look at this now, this is quite a knowledge for me. Everything seems to be ok. But I don't happen to understand to use the "mip_rayswitch" shader properly for this purpose.

I unhid Mental Images Production Shaders by a MEL Command.
I even watched Jeff Patton's Max + Mental Ray Masterclass in which he used rayswitch to neutralize a very intensive Final Gather red color bleed from the floor to a white scene.

But how do we use "mip_rayswitch" as an environment binder for each reflections & refractions? Could you simply write the connections please?

mia_material ---> ShadingGroup

05 May 2009
I think you should try the trippleShadingSwitch method, which is different to mip_rayswitch.
The trippleShadingSwitch makes it quite easy to link environments to objects. I attached a simple scene file to demonstrate. Graph the camera inputs to see the connections.

There is mia_physicalsky being used as the default environment (on the middle sphere), then a checker texture reflecting of the left sphere and a ramp reflecting off the one on the right. (I put a multiply node in there to amplify the strength of the checker and the ramp so they would match the brightness of the sky.)

I hope this is helpful.
-- David
Attached Files
File Type: zip trippleSwitchEnv_DJ001.zip (9.7 KB, 56 views)

05 May 2009
Thank you so much! this explains everything I had in mind.

Last edited by custinyakis : 05 May 2009 at 08:25 PM.

05 May 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread