Maya 2009 (is it enough to keep ppl happy?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by Sifis: only in spanish though http://area.autodesk.com/siggraph

Oops, you're right, they have removed it. One thing that I saw in this video is realtime (interactive playback) self colliding particles which was very impressive.

Last edited by iosifkefalas : 08 August 2008 at 08:48 AM.

08 August 2008
how is the new animation layers different from trax?

08 August 2008
All this talk about Maya 2009 is getting me hot lol. I read somewhere about a predicted release of October, but i hope its sooner. And this may just be my wishful thinking, but there's still a possibility of them announcing something else on actual release

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by sara_qq: how is the new animation layers different from trax?

I guess a simple answer would be: trax works with clips, animation layers with keys.

08 August 2008
Looks exciting!

Although I am really new to 3D, have only used Maya and only been learning for the last 2 months or so i'm loving it.

I'm hoping October release at the latest, after that I have graduated from University and I wont be able to buy my student licenses to study with!

08 August 2008
I don't care much for a maya update, but that new mudbox looks fabulously hot !

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by berniebernie: I don't care much for a maya update, but that new mudbox looks fabulously hot !

Uhh, yeah, one of the things I've been thinking watching the streaming Siggraph demos is "ummm... can we get the Mudbox viewport quality and speed into Maya... please?!?

That demo with the frog king guy rendered, HDR lit, Ambient Occluded, and depth of Fielded, in REAL TIME, is amazing. I'm seriously thinking of bootcamping my teams Macs at work so we can bring it into our pipeline.

Last edited by jporter313 : 08 August 2008 at 03:28 PM.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by berniebernie: I don't care much for a maya update, but that new mudbox looks fabulously hot !

then why did you go into a Maya forum and in a Maya thread to post you don't care about Maya? makes no sense.

08 August 2008
Mudbox does look great.

Anyone know if there's any Maya 2009 Demo vids around?

Would love to see some nParticle stuff

Big thanks

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by cheebamonkey: then why did you go into a Maya forum and in a Maya thread to post you don't care about Maya? makes no sense.

Have you considered that it might be a statement that I don't care about a maya update because I'm very satisfied with the one I currently have, but that I believe that mudbox is now awesomely good.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by cheebamonkey: then why did you go into a Maya forum and in a Maya thread to post you don't care about Maya? makes no sense.

And why don't you offer an opinion of your own and let others have theirs, instead of posting only to address anybody who you feel doesn't revere Maya enough, or post wrong prices/dates to then disappear when the correct ones are linked?
I didn't remember we hired the attitude towards software police to roam the forums, I have to say I liked it better before we had one.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by sara_qq: how is the new animation layers different from trax?

I'm assuming they're taking the animation layers capability from MotionBuilder -- which is awesome! The ability to add/blend keyframes on a series of layers saves tons of time!

08 August 2008
tweaking existing animation data non-destructively.

They showed a character doing a series of flips (mocap data). They wanted the character to flip over a bike. They add an animation layer and move the character to the area of the bike. Then they adjusted the timing on the flip over the bike, including making the flip higher, all from another animation layer.

to put it in perspective... It would've taken a while to re-keyframe every single frame of baked animation data from the mocap in order to make the character flip over the bike. This way it gives you a faster workflow for adjusting animations for existing data.

08 August 2008
Yeah, that sounds real similar to MotionBuilder (from what I've seen of it...I'm not a CA)

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by cheebamonkey: tweaking existing animation data non-destructively.

to put it in perspective... It would've taken a while to re-keyframe every single frame of baked animation data from the mocap in order to make the character flip over the bike. This way it gives you a faster workflow for adjusting animations for existing data.

but cant you do this now with trax?

Thread Closed share thread