Maya 2009 (is it enough to keep ppl happy?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
Not sure if it's been posted or not. But here's a more detailed feature list from Cory:

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/...#When:15:03:01Z

This is a very good release.

08 August 2008
Looking good...

Seems like they've done a lot more work on 2009 than anyone gave them credit for. Can't wait to try it out! Now, to just get the boss to sign off on it... (grins)

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain: Not sure if it's been posted or not. But here's a more detailed feature list from Cory:

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/...#When:15:03:01Z

This is a very good release.

Man.. There are some nice things in here already that I am eager to see in the works .. Here is a few

Originally Posted by CoryBlog: Heat Map Display: You can now color nodes in the Hypergraph according to their performance in various metrics. This allows you to quickly identify computationally expensive nodes just by looking at the Hypergraph.

Archive scene: You can now archive your scene and all its dependencies into a single zip file with the Archive Scene command. This is useful to ensure scenes work correctly when transferred between artists.

Soft Selection: Soft Selection lets you include a weighted falloff area in your component selections. Itís useful for sculpting a smooth object or making smoothly integrated slopes or contours to your model without having to transform each vertex manually.

Merge Vertex Tool: You can now merge vertices quickly with the Merge Vertex Tool by dragging from one vertex to another.

nCaching fluids: Fluid caching is now done through nCaching, the Maya caching system used to cache nCloth simulation data. nCaching fluids improves caching performance, as well as uses a more efficient storage method for your cached files. As with the previous fluids caching, you can specify which fluid properties are saved in the cache file.

All the nParticle shit (although I hope they address the particle caching or nCache for nParticles since "Maya Classic Particle" caching is garbage.

Liquid simulation with nParticles: nParticles provide Liquid Simulation attributes that allow you to create nParticle objects that look and behave like liquids. Control over liquid properties, such as viscosity, allow you to create effects that range from fast moving waterfalls to slow rolling lava flows.

nParticle to polygon mesh conversion: Static and emitted Blobby Surface nParticles can be converted to polygon meshes. nParticle output meshes can be edited and manipulated like any other polygon. Before the conversion, you can use the Output Mesh attributes to set the quality of resulting polygon mesh. nParticle output meshes are useful for creating smooth flowing surfaces for realistic liquid simulation effects.

Multi-render passes for mental ray for Maya: The new multi-render pass feature provides an easy workflow for configuring render passes. You can render an unlimited number of render passes, and you can group them into render pass sets. You can also select a subset of the objects or lights in your scene to contribute to each render pass. This subset is called a render pass contribution map.

I know Soft Selection has been in Maya for a bit, but .. I really hate how it works, hopefully they have streamlined it a bit?

Hopefully dynamics uses multithreading. That nParticle geo shit looks fresh as well. Seems a lot better than what my initial thoughts were with whats on the Autodesk feature page.

Also, it doesn't look like they've fixed the garbage Software Render/mental ray Render of hardware particles. Come on!#)%*! PRMan/3Delight can do this among many others, .. what is the hold up!?

heh, ...Anyone have link to Demo movies?

my highend3D scripts
my photography

Last edited by azshall : 08 August 2008 at 12:07 AM.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by azshall:
heh, ...Anyone have link to Demo movies?

only in spanish though http://area.autodesk.com/siggraph

08 August 2008
Just as I was getting used to getting collisions values and sticking them into goal ones, nParticles and constraints will fix all that no doubt, gone is all the extraneous mel by the looks and more particle control through the interface. Now thats gotta be good for all you modellers and riggers out there....

08 August 2008
Apparently Autodesk is live streaming from the Booth right now. However the link above doesn't bring up any video :( ..

Is it working for anyone else (that cares? )

my highend3D scripts
my photography

08 August 2008
I was at the booth today, they said there is no official release date yet announced. Two things they showed me that I really liked was animation layers and some new UV unwrapping that looked very good.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by azshall: Apparently Autodesk is live streaming from the Booth right now. However the link above doesn't bring up any video :( ..

It's not working for me either =/
I guess i shouldn't watch it anyway, since seeing Maya 2009 and knowing I can't have will only break my heart

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by azshall: Apparently Autodesk is live streaming from the Booth right now. However the link above doesn't bring up any video :( ..

Nup not here.

08 August 2008
the n particle stuff looks really cool. they were demoing it on a hp 8 core machine. when the demo was being done the person showing it off said its not that different from ncloth which was obvious to me. also in the channel box the editor for the n particles was the same as ncloth which was pointed out. so is it really that new, couldn't they have just done this when ncloth came out. i know it will be better than the particles that are in maya now. still nothing said about any updates to paint fx.

as for the price of maya i know it use to cost 6995 for unlimited and about 1999 for complete, as of late the price was changed to 4995 for unl and 1995 for complete. when i noticed the price reduction for unlimited i was hoping the price for complete would have been dropped more, but oh well.

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 08 August 2008 at 03:46 AM.

08 August 2008
october ?

seems like lots of good stuf but OCTOBER really i could use renderbuffers like today!!!

08 August 2008
well few words on the page doesnt make software better , untill maya arrive to my studio i cant say i like it

cheers

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by CoryBlog: Final gathering now accepts multiple final gather map files.

I hope this means that animated Incandescence, diffuse maps through blender nodes, and other attributes can actually animate with final gather now.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by jporter313: sounds promising, I'd love to see some video demos of the new features. Anyone know when this ships out?

http://www.digitalproduction.com/dp...8197&WPID=99100

The quality is not too good, but it's interesting just the same.

08 August 2008
when is it going to be released?

Thread Closed share thread