Maya 2009 (is it enough to keep ppl happy?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by McFarmer: And what's even more annoying:

You not only need to buy a new Mac to play with Maya 2009 - you still only get a 32bit version! So what's the benefit?!?
How freakin' long does it take Autodesk to get a 64bit version for MacOSX out the door? It's been years they promised it...

Autodesk is clearly a 'Windows-only' company, with a reluctant Linux support, and no OSX support worth mentioning...

Apple ****ed everyone by not providing a 64-bit carbon for developers. Now the only way to make maya a 64-bit app on the mac is to pretty much completely re-write it for cocoa, which is not an easy task at all.

I'm sure Autodesk is working on a 64-bit version. But like all the other developers out there who were using carbon, it's going to take some time and a LOT of work to make it happen.

I'm predicting Maya 2010.

08 August 2008
It's a bit more complex than just missing 64bit libraries. These have been out since 2004 (albeit not the GUI ones). The real issue is that lazy developers could get away without upgrading their code for far too long.

Since OSX, i.e. since the first beta in 2000, Apple said Cocoa libraries are the future.

But the big corporations with massive legacy code (like the ones starting with Ad. or Mi.) armwrestled Apple to provide a Mac OS 9 compatibility layer for OSX: Carbon. But that is basically not something you want, legacy libraries in an OSX wrapper.

Apple said that Carbon will only be a temporary solution and that no one should rely on the fact that it'd be around forever, and they cancelled it in 2007 - 7 years after they said Cocoa is the future.

The only thing Apple's guilty of is that they cancelled Carbon support in 2006 within a year.
It caused a grumble on parts of these big corporations, but even Mi. was able to completely rewrite its codebase in Cocoa! Ad. is still dragging its feet. So is Autodesk. I guess once they armwrestled Apple into Carbon they just thought they could get away with never modernising their code ever...

But that fact is hardly Apple's fault.
People want a mordern OS but not have to change a line of their code. That's a bit unrealistic. Yet 8 years of preparation time should be enough for changing even big coding projects, no?

p.s.
I think the first implementation of Maya 3.5 for Mac did use the Carbon libraries. And that's the issue now. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited by McFarmer : 08 August 2008 at 04:09 PM.

08 August 2008
I am really disappointed that Maya has no decent rigid body solution. It's been years. Nima was a great effort (integration felt natural) by a cool company, but it ended before it got stable enough. I am forced to use realflow for rigids for more years it looks like :(

Additionally, I hope that all this n stuff is multithreaded- not just the caching playback feature as in nCloth. I have an 8 core machine, and the new hyperthreading boxes will apear to maya as 16 core. Do we really want to run our sims at 1/8th to 1/16th the speed?

-shawn

08 August 2008
Has anyone noticed that Maya pretty much only add "new" features to the Umlimited version? Complete users still get animation layer that kind of enhancement (can't call it upgrade can it?) but otherwise is left eating dusts.... If students or ppl wants to learn Maya can have PLE, why bother with the complete version which really missing all these great new features?

08 August 2008
Anyone have a link to the demo videos? ...If they're up.

my highend3D scripts
my photography

08 August 2008
First of all, its nice to see that they finaly delivered nParticles. especially since i have seen whats even possible with a cloth hack it may a brigther future for maya in this segment, though i think it won't shine in the dark when they continue like this.

As it looks for now, they don't offer much more than they had with 2008ex2 for about 6 month ago. And compare maya to xsi or houdini: they deliver stronger renderer integrations and a more accessible interface. I am sick of mayas 90th approach with thousands of menu with sub menus and subwindows with even more cluttered windows and more menus…

Either they have something saved for their presentations or we will wait at least one long year till smth like maya cs3, speaking of a modernized interface, will arive… honestly, i doubt even that, since autodesk is a profit oriented company that show that the user is only second though for them lately.

08 August 2008
I wonder what expectations the linear-workflow-people have of Maya 2009.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by McFarmer:
p.s.
I think the first implementation of Maya 3.5 for Mac did use the Carbon libraries. And that's the issue now. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ok.. you're wrong. Who cares if Carbon was used back in 5.x or .x1234a The point is Apple said it was going to be supported. These developers were already developing the x64 port before Apple announced Leopard. Apple told developers Carbon would be still available for use with Leopard. Developers, not just Autodesk, said "ok" and continued to develop their apps under Apple's direction. At the last minute Apple pulls the plug and says it won't be supported in the new OS. They screwed developers. You seem to think that writing a codebase for a new set is as easy as hitting a cutesy gel button which says "convert". No. Apple did what they did, developers wasted a lot of time and money because of it and now they have to re-write code to fit Cocoa.

Read up. Adobe (ill spell it out for you since you're scared?) states their side in a couple places on their site and in their developer blog. I tend to beleive multiple developers than I do an entertainment conglomerate like APpLe.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by cheebamonkey: nope untrue. It hasn't been 8K for many years until this year.

http://pressreleases.autodesk.com/i...=386%3C%2Ftd%3E
That's from Autodesk, it's about them cutting the price from 8 to 6k for unlimited network, and from 7k to 5k for the locked license.
It is from Feb 2008.
So, what version and from what reseller has been precisely 5k for many years now?

08 August 2008
any news on stability or bug fixes? for maya complete?

08 August 2008
Cheebamonkey, you're right, they certainly did promise. But apple is not out to piss off developers. Supporting only the objective-c codebase should result in a superior product in the longterm. I'm not saying this was the right decision (especially the timing!), I'm just acknowledging the logic behind the tradoffs. They are simplifying towards one path- intel processors, obj-c, 64bit. That's down from eight combinations (ibm/intel, carbon/cocoa, 32/64).

Also, didn't Alias outsource a lot of the original maya port? I thought I heard something about it along time ago? Maybe Autodesk is willing to at least try something similar? It's tedious to port, but it doesn't require a lot of original work, so why not outsource?

08 August 2008
Im faily happy, looks good.

shame that i'll probably have to wait years to use renderman studio on it though lol.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by YourDaftPunk: I am really disappointed that Maya has no decent rigid body solution.... Nima was a great effort...
-shawn

I agree, I still use nima for a few things. Its a great little plugin, Now that Physx is GPU accelerated that might speed up nima even further, I was hoping to experiment with that this weekend ( the drivers just came out today ). If the new runtime fixes some of the sliding issues and the streatchy constraints I might go back to using 8.5 quite a bit, just for nima.

I will be satisfied for now if they just have mental ray working better. As much as I like being able to customize my buffers, I hate having to do it then manual way for everything all the time.

08 August 2008
I'm curious about new renderpass feature, I hope it does not suck.

Any idea when Maya 2k9 will be available to public?

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by Ayoblub: Either they have something saved for their presentations or we will wait at least one long year till smth like maya cs3, speaking of a modernized interface, will arive…

So when is the presentation? The limited new features look nice although I am still a bit disappointed (granted I haven't seen anything in action). I'll reserve my thoughts when I can see how the nParticles work, if there is a better caching implementation (sorry, but 1 particle cache per scene that can be active is just plain stupid). Hopefully they've addressed that so you can have a cache on a per particle object basis. I am also curious as to how their "liquids" are handled. Is it "liquids" because you can see blobbies in the viewport and use interparticle collisions to make it feel volumous ..or.. is it actually a little more advanced to the point you can mess with surface tension and viscosity, etc... Either way, I am glad to see they're at least LOOKING at the Particles. Hopefully some form of nodal workflow will be in future at some point?

my highend3D scripts
my photography

Thread Closed share thread