Maya 2009 (is it enough to keep ppl happy?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by dan1el: yes as far as it seems from the system requirements.
sounds good to me

jerk! >:P lol jk
well i guess it was only a matter of time....I just wish I had the cash to upgrade to a newer Mac =( I was really looking forward to trying nparticles and stuff

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by baloneyx: jerk! >:P lol jk
well i guess it was only a matter of time....I just wish I had the cash to upgrade to a newer Mac =( I was really looking forward to trying nparticles and stuff

Yeah thats gunna burn me as well, might have to get a PC afterall...(and the room fell completely silent).

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by Aikiman: Slightly more details more specifically on nParticles (finally some pouring liquids!)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...123112#section9

ok that is pretty cool I am assuming that will be for the unlimited version only??

08 August 2008
I looked at the system requirements, and it looks like they have ditched the 32bit version on Maya for linux (only being 64bit). I like that, hopefully it will mean that 2009 will be in better shape than what 2008 was. And also nice to see that they are supporting Fedora 8.

[ from the autodesk site ]

Software

The 32-bit version of Autodesk® Maya® 2009 software is supported on any of the following operating systems:

* Microsoft® Windows Vista® Business operating system (SP1 or higher)
* Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional operating system (SP2 or higher)
* Apple® Mac OS® X 10.5.2 operating system or higher

The 64-bit version of Maya 2009 software is supported on any of the following operating systems:

* Microsoft Windows Vista Business (SP1 or higher)
* Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition (SP2 or higher)
* Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 4.0 WS operating system (U6)
* Fedora™ 8 operating system

08 August 2008
Quote: The 32-bit version of Autodesk® Maya® 2009 software is supported on any of the following operating systems:

* Microsoft® Windows Vista® Business operating system (SP1 or higher)
* Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional operating system (SP2 or higher)
* Apple® Mac OS® X 10.5.2 operating system or higher

Do you have to have Vista Buisness or can you have Vista Home Premuim SP1 to use Maya 2009?? If Maya 2009 only runs on Buisness and not the Home that would be lame becasue 2008 can . . .. . just wondering =)

08 August 2008
naaah.. render stuff for toxic :/ darn

don´t need that

08 August 2008
Prices look to to be exactly the same from where I am sitting. Unlimited has been $5k for many years now.

-gl

"There are no shortcuts....The harder you work, the more you draw, the better you get"

-Feng Zhu

08 August 2008
man, nParticles look sick. I can't wait to try those out. Will hopefully be down on the siggraph floor today so I can check it out in action.

While not a SPECTACULAR release, I think the divorce will wait HAHA. Till death do us part Maya

JK, I actually think they probably did a lot to the current stuff to make it faster, better, more stable. The only things we see on the "What's new" list are the "new" things. plus it is better PR to advertise the latest and greatest. Not the older and broken but now fixed stuff.

looking forward to checking it out.

Brad

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by motoxpress: Prices look to to be exactly the same from where I am sitting. Unlimited has been $5k for many years now.

-gl

Nope, it's been 8k for many years. The price changes of unlimited were end of Q1 together with ext2, which at the beginning of Q3 right now doesn't make it "many years" for sure.

08 August 2008
Personnally i don't care about new fancy dynamics , muscle stuff ! But what is really important for me is a refondation of the hypershade , hypergraph and the nodal system of maya. the way maya connect each operation is not as efficient as in houdini or xsi for ex. Maya is so slow when it comes to make a lot of connections and evaluate them especially for rendering task. Without trolling the only thing that hang me on Maya now, is the exclusivity of PRman and Slim ! In a word Maya used to be the queen of the 3d world ! but now the queen looks pretty old after 10 years ! And the passion of autodesk for Revolutionnary concept and fresh idea hasn't help the old queen to keep her beauty ...

08 August 2008
i didnt watch the presentation online, but i am excited about things to come. the nParticles sound cool and i have high hopes for improvements in mental ray. especially framebuffer improvements.

whats more important to me still is a stable, usable release. 2008 had a lot of nice features, but it was full of bugs. i hope this latest version comes in a more production ready state.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by baloneyx: So wait, can someone just clarify for me this...You cannot run Maya on a Mac without it having an intel processor??? =(
So i m gonna need a new computer? to use maya 2009 that is

And what's even more annoying:

You not only need to buy a new Mac to play with Maya 2009 - you still only get a 32bit version! So what's the benefit?!?
How freakin' long does it take Autodesk to get a 64bit version for MacOSX out the door? It's been years they promised it...

Autodesk is clearly a 'Windows-only' company, with a reluctant Linux support, and no OSX support worth mentioning...

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by mcyorian:
the GUI matters!

GUI is for girls. Real men use hotkeys and hotboxes.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Nope, it's been 8k for many years. The price changes of unlimited were end of Q1 together with ext2, which at the beginning of Q3 right now doesn't make it "many years" for sure.

nope untrue. It hasn't been 8K for many years until this year.

08 August 2008
Originally Posted by cheebamonkey: nope untrue. It hasn't been 8K for many years until this year.

I'll look at my last PO, but I'm pretty sure when I purchased my last seat, maybe late last year, it cost me around $6995 for a Maya 2008 Unlimited floating license.

Thread Closed share thread