Maya 2008

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2007
The DirectX component for Maya is to provide better viewport display and support for HLSL Shaders as we know that the previous Nvidia CG via OpenGL didn't last much beyond Maya 5 with nvidia support and was basically left to studios to figure out their own solution. It was only a matter of time before this had to be addressed as it was a huge issue with a number of developers.

That's a big IF on the in-viewport engine

-s

08 August 2007
Originally Posted by ThomasMahler: You gotta be shitting me. You guys are just scrapping your whole production pipeline, having to relearn all the processes that come with it just because Maya 2008 isn't the most exciting release ever?

Well, good luck staying in business!

he neglected to mention his "shop" is 7 guys in a dorm who play Warcraft more than animate with their PLE versions, but have aspirations enough to call it a "studio"!

08 August 2007
man whats with all the crying about maya 2008. its an update so what they didnt add everything everyone wants. this same thing happeneds every year. they release a new version change some things add a couple tools new version of mental ray, folks are acting like these changes are going to decrease your productivity massively, or destroy your workflow. just because this isn't the greatest update isn't a good reason to drop an application that has worked well for you so far.

08 August 2007
Originally Posted by davijin: man whats with all the crying about maya 2008. its an update so what they didnt add everything everyone wants. this same thing happeneds every year. they release a new version change some things add a couple tools new version of mental ray, folks are acting like these changes are going to decrease your productivity massively, or destroy your workflow.

Totally agree. Every year! Same story! Whenever a new maya version is announced, a thread like this is expected. It looks like some people just don't see the big picture, and will like it only when they see a dramatic change like a completely new UI or all the existing tools thrown away and totally new ones created instead.
First of all, nobody here even used it yet. Second, it's not the announcement of a new program. It's an update for a very stable, beautiful, incredible piece of software.
A lot of people are only worried about new tools and stuff, and leave aside extremely important things like stability and performance. Well, the makers have to worry about things like that and they are making progress. You all saw the release notes.
And besides that, I'm sure there are some more cool new things in there.

Kako.

08 August 2007
Its simple, you got some people who like to play with maya, you got some who use it to make art and some who earn a living from it. The latter two are bing drowned out by the former in terms of shouting the loudest on these forums. Its the same with the max update, the bruhaha quickly died down when they saw that the world hadnt stopped turning.
Obviously both packages need fixing in places, some updates its stability, some its new features, which will eat into the stability... so its a merry go round.
Just roll with it.

Oh and the person who thinks you can only script in Maya, lol well Bobo would tell you different, max is as customisable as maya, it just dont need to have scripters working on it to extend it, that actually would be a good thing, but its not imperative. That does not mean max is not capable in the scripting stakes, it just means it works out of the box.

MY HMC

08 August 2007
ok, i had the chance to get a quick access to the "whats new" pages in the M2008 doc. there are lots of nice little things comming (mr shader, IPR integration, hotkeys improvement....). so just wait for the whole features being announced. i think it will be really worth upgrading.

greets from siggraph!

08 August 2007
from what i saw standing around in front of the maya 2008 demo at siggraph, they spent a lot of time showing off:

nCloth updates, i.e. added a wind turbulance setting, the ability to have an cloth object create a gust of wind and affect another object (a 'cloth car' wizzing past a paint effects tree in which the leaves were converted to cloth, causing the leaves to blow away based on the speed of the car). Also by converting the car to a cloth object then 'dropping' it the car streched/contracted like a cartoon animation.

Mental Ray IPR improvements, if I'm not mistaken he had a Final Gather scene being IPR'ed, then moved the camera position and it automatically refreshed rather than doing it manually.

They added a small but very helpful feature for the timeline in which it can limit your viewport FPS display, i.e. say your scene is playing at like 80fps but you want to see the animation how it will look when you render at 24fps, there's a setting you can limit it to 24fps or whatever.

Bones can be displayed in shaded mode rather than switching to wireframe. Then I went to walk around so they might have demo'ed other stuff, I dunno.

Didn't they do the same thing in 8.5 and only show some extremely weak update list, but the detailed list actually had a few nice things in there?

08 August 2007
Originally Posted by superegophobia: Mental Ray IPR improvements, if I'm not mistaken he had a Final Gather scene being IPR'ed, then moved the camera position and it automatically refreshed rather than doing it manually.

Have you seen www.holomatix.com? A relatively realtime raytracer that supports all the mental ray settings. Looks very similar to what people are talking about thats now included in the new Max and Maya. Have a look at the Rendition IPR section of that website, its pretty impressive. I had a quick play with the beta the other day, it was abit buggy and crashed a few times but it something like this was integrated into Maya and worked as it was meant to i'd be a happy boy.

08 August 2007
what Id be annoyed about is if I paid for subscirptions as a freelancer. Thatd bother me, youd be expecting a bit more for your money perhaps. Im looking forward to the IPR improvements as its super handy to previs stuff, not much to shout about though but I only got 8.5 on my machine at work a few months ago so we wont be upgrading Ive been told.

FR sp3 is out though wooooo! Now that I am excited about!

Im not young enough to know everything...
LinkedIn
Flickr
Twitter

08 August 2007
Originally Posted by seandunderdale: what Id be annoyed about is if I paid for subscirptions as a freelancer. Thatd bother me, youd be expecting a bit more for your money perhaps. Im looking forward to the IPR improvements as its super handy to previs stuff /../

And I, as a paying subscriber, am looking forward to the hotkey improvments mentioned some posts above this.

Guess we'll ju have to wait. Hope they'll surprise me in a good way. Still upset/sad about the autodeskish namechange though. No matter if that's silly.

08 August 2007
Originally Posted by sogo: R.I.P. maya, it was a pleassure.

No more autodesk products. No progress for years...

God bless Softimage, SideFX...

This is how innovative SideFX, Softimage or Newtek are. Siggraph 2007. These photos illustrate perfectly how many people were interested in XSI 6.5 and LW 9. Unfortunately I don't have a good shot of the Houdini booth but it was the same as Newtek for 4 days straight: no people. On the other hand the Maya Japanese demo on its own managed to collect over 100 people. That says a lot. Wait until Maya 2008 ships then critique.

People who keep on complaining about the lack of features in software apparently don't understand the business of software developemnt, resource allocation and development cycle. Maya is in good hands whether you believe it or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8080109.jpg (51.4 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg P8080101.jpg (68.8 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by hanskloss : 08 August 2007 at 12:21 AM.

08 August 2007
Um, siggraph attendance != innovation. SideFX's release was many times more impressive than Maya's even on paper.

08 August 2007
I'll rephrase my comment. Houdini and XSI were so impressive on paper that only a handlful bothered to watch the demos. On paper everything seems to look impressive. It's the practice that more difficult.

08 August 2007
Originally Posted by hanskloss: People who keep on complaining about the lack of features in software apparently don't understand the business of software developemnt, resource allocation and development cycle. Maya is in good hands whether you believe it or not.

I think this is because of the cg environment that people are usually living under an "impossible deadline" and pressure, directors asking you "perfection", and...
you get the point, like son, like father...

08 August 2007
Well, if everyone is complaining about the lack of features. Then go write your own software. :P

I still don't see why there are always complaints. No matter what they do they'll be complaints. If they add the features you guys want, it'll be to "buggy" for you. Etc.

I mean, no offense meant, but people are still creating amazing pieces of art with the package that you guys are complaining about.

*Puts on flame retardant coat*

Thread Closed share thread