Share your secret weapon...!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2003
Hi ktpr
I've been using a similar technique in a somewhat more labored and long-winded way...
This looks like a very useful workflow, and I think has great scripting possibilities (at least for the main part!)
Thanks for the tip!

To Rich:
Still working on my NURBS patch tut, man (see avatar).... hadn't forgotten; just work getting in the way! :annoyed:

Atwooki

Last edited by Atwooki : 06 June 2003 at 11:18 AM.

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Atwooki
To Rich:
Still working on my NURBS patch tut, man (see avatar).... hadn't forgotten; just work getting in the way! :annoyed:

Cant wait to see it. Someone suggested to me setting up my patches without the extra end CV... then when I set up tangency as a final step I can worry about that... are you familiar with doing that?

oops thats another topic.

Atwooki

06 June 2003
not sure if many people know this but when working with NURBS you can keep the wireframe detail at max as well as the shaded
eg.

create a sphere and make it level one detail (1 key)
then go into your atttribute editor and go to NURBS Surface History and change the second one Crv Surface Display( i think) to 4 or how high you want and you have a much cleaner wireframe area.

06 June 2003
hey thanks Atwooki. I'm waiting for a nurbs patch tut too, btw. Subds are very nice but I think once you learn Nurbs it all doesn't matter... The lack of mapping options for subds has driven me insane.

btw for deselecting stuff it's a lot easier to do it in the texture editor, with ctrl region selection around offending edges.

Also the Bonus Game pack comes with "invertCompSelection.mel" which inverts the selected components. So if you convert the user's selection from faces to edges, get the inverse selection as the outer perimeter, you could automap and merge+sew those edges after deselecting the perimeter. I think I'll make a quick script sometime this week and post it here; unless someone beats me to it .

cheers
ktpr

06 June 2003
ktpr, so your selecting the edges on the outside of your uvs shell? like so the whole edge on the outside is selected? not really clear on what your doing. is it possible you could post a pic? of your end result

06 June 2003
I have really got to be honest about this one. My favourite tool by far has got to be "UNDO".

What would any of us do without it

Later
loked

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by loked
I have really got to be honest about this one. My favourite tool by far has got to be "UNDO".

What would any of us do without it

Later
loked

I believe HongKonger, (see his thread), is trying to come to terms with this invaluable tool.

My own secret weapon: When I first started learning Maya, it was with the help of Maya Fundamentals, (By Jim Lammers), it came with custom marking-menus. Now I canīt live without them.

Last edited by Klark : 06 June 2003 at 07:03 PM.

06 June 2003
Quote: My own secret weapon: When I first started learning Maya, it was with the help of Maya Fundamentals, (By Jim Lammers), it came with custom marking-menus. Now I canīt live without them.

What were the custom marking menus that you got with the book?

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Klark
I believe HongKonger, (see his thread), is trying to come to terms with this invaluable tool.

Now thats one funny thread and he's really serious about it too What's the world coming to????

Thanks for that Klark!!!

later
loked

06 June 2003
Levitateme -

yeah I select basically the border edge. Here's a brief discription:

1. Select the faces you want to map. Try not to pick areas that branch out (arm and torso, etc).

download qssManager. You can deselect and store quick select sets. At highend3d.com

- Store the face selection as a quick set for later selection.

- Convert your faces to edges. Using ctrl and the lasso tool deselect all the interior edges until only the border edges are there. Store this as a quick set too.

3. Select the faces in the quick select set. Auto map (use anyting from 4 to 12 planes).

4. Convert the selection to edges. Deselect the borderEdge set you made. Press Move+Sew.

cheers
ktpr

Last edited by ktpr : 06 June 2003 at 10:01 PM.

06 June 2003
One thing that I never see anyone else do is turn off the Title Bar for Maya. Under Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preferences, in the section titled "Interface" (this is the default section, btw), uncheck "Show Title Bar In Main Window".

People ask me how I close or minimize Maya without the title bar, but it's simple. Mouse over the Widows Taskbar and click the Maya task item. This will minimize Maya if it is currently the window with focus. It will also maximize (restore) Maya if it is minimized. To close Maya, simply right click the Maya task item on the Taskbar and select "Close".

It may not seem like much screen is being wasted by the Title Bar, but when combined with the Menu Bar in both the Main Window and in each Panel (use the Hotbox people!), you will gain alot of screen space!

[edit] Here is a screengrab of my Maya environment:

Last edited by pearson : 06 June 2003 at 09:50 PM.

06 June 2003
yah, for my marking menus i have a menu called UI, it does everything i want either turned on or off.

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Kwyjibo
What were the custom marking menus that you got with the book?

Well basically I use all of the Hotkeys provided with the book, stuff like turning off/on menus and opening the Hypershade or Outliner. Lots of stuff like that, not complicated but smart and fast.

The custom marking-menus I mostly use are: nurbsCreation:nurbsEditing, polyCreationolyEditing and curveCreation:curveEditing. Each of them contains numerous options when activated, all with optionBoxes too.

These are accessed(spelling?) by combinations of leftCtrl,Alt and leftMB. Since the Alt- and Z-key are so much in use anyway itīs pretty well laid out considering my leftHand is already there.

Then there are a couple of others but I donīt use them so much.

Here is a link to the book:

http://www.trinity3d.com/xcart/cust...71&cat=6&page=1

06 June 2003
Very cool, I will have to check it out. Thanks

06 June 2003
my favorite now

* Rotate UV by 45 degree angle tool, press 2 times for 90 degrees
* FlipUV horizontally and vertically.

These tools are must for game devs, its installed as buttons on UV editor from game bonus tools.

reply share thread