Share your secret weapon...!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2003
Hey guys, i just wanted to throw in the paint selection tool, i started to love it when i was working on lots of cylindrical shapes for some catheter stuff. Its so cool to simply draw your selection onto the object, and by the way. The backface components are not selected and by the simple artisan hotkeys you can define the brush when it doesnt suit your wishes. maybe someone finds that usefull

Last edited by atzfratz : 08 August 2003 at 10:54 AM.

06 June 2003
Wrap deformer/ negative Wrap deformer 2 for one blend shapes.

When I do blendshapes for cartoons, I need to build view dependent morph targets, biased for right side, and left side viewing. I discovered that if i use two wrap deformers on a symetrical model (one negative, one posative) I could get 2 blend shapes for the price of one and I wouldnt even have to bake it... The blend shapes blend nicely togather! which means you can hand one side off to the other as the character rotates... I've used this trick to derive left and right sides and repair models with screwed up point order as well.

If you want to test it for yoursel I suggest making a 3 spheres and one negative sphere (scaled at -1 on x) and then create a blend shape from one sphere to both a posative and negative sphere... then use those posative and negative spheres as a wrap deformer on the remaining sphere... then test the blend shapes and mix them ands see how nicely they blend.

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by sasquatch
A couple of scripts I always use:

detachSeparate

Nuke history, Reattach skin (I think the script's called fixWeights). Lets you delete the history from a skinned mesh without losing the weighting info without messing about.

other than that, mostly just the regular stuff; the extrude tools, subdivide, Split poly.

wow, that would have saved me a lot of work... well practice is good for the craft eh?

is that included with maya, or a dawnload somewhere?

06 June 2003
hmmm.... my secret weapon? well, I do know that nurbs surface fillets make ANYTHING look good

hehe, anywho... im just putting all this stuff into my own personal maya book, anyone want a copy?
Cheers,

06 June 2003
i have the bonus tools for 5. i had them for 4.5, but i could never get the draw split tool to work. can someone walk me through it, it says soemthing like select a edge and a neighboring face? i tried and could never get it to work. just a exp would be really apprecited. tahnks

some of my favorite scripts are.

xyz average.
loop split
delete edge.

06 June 2003
Like Levita, I have no clue how drawSplit works. I install it in bonusGames 5 but don't understand how or what it requires to draw or split.

As for my secret weapon, it's this forum.

Last edited by rock : 06 June 2003 at 05:25 AM.

06 June 2003
Okay someone please make a list and site that all these can be found at, I ran into some sites that came back wrong.. As for my fav. maya tool, it would have to be the exit button..... After long hours of staring at a model I find it a great tool. Split poly and connectPolyShape are probley my most used tools. Although there are the few hotkey tool that I have customized for better work flow.And for all those of you that are new to maya, try hiding all your unused windows and learn to use the hotbox. You'll be amazed at how much space you have to model/animate in... Well just words of my vice......MAYA... Love her, Hate her, Need her... damn nows she's callig me to play!!!!

06 June 2003
ok, Here's the basic gist of drawsplit:
(5 sec tutorial )
Attached Images
File Type: gif drawsplit.gif (16.0 KB, 1807 views)

06 June 2003
Polyconnect Sub-d hands down. I'm surprised that no one listed it yet. It is just like CPS but uses Sub-d's instead of polys. The script is on highend-3d.

06 June 2003
My favourite id guess wouldnt be that special and its not a tool but a great method. its simple to
First i get the basic shape outta nurbs then covert em to polys, then work out details then SUBD BABY!

So Nurbs-Polys-SubD. Thats a way of life
Special thanks to StevenStahlberg for introducing it too me.

06 June 2003
Kinematics- Hellz yeah, that is workflow that I use the other half of the time. Stahlberg is the man!!!!

06 June 2003
Rich Suchy: the fixWeights script isn't posted up anywhere at the moment as far as I can tell; it's by a guy named Jan-Bart van Beek, but his site seems to have disappeared. If you want it PM me, and I'll mail it on to you.

*edit* there is an old version of the script on highend in mel scripts>animation. Whilst it doesn't work fully in 4.5 (haven't tried it in 5) ie: it won't generate the menu items, you can still call the mel script directly (source it in the script editor, type fixWeight -default in the command line). It seems to work fine.

detachSeparate is available on highend3d, in the mel scripts>polygons section.

My Site (finally up and running)

Last edited by sasquatch : 06 June 2003 at 09:53 AM.

06 June 2003
Project Curve on Surface

06 June 2003
drawsplit looks sweet if your working with a reference....
just draw on the detail

06 June 2003
thanks ceq, but i guess im thinking of a differnt tool, i used that long ago . thanks for the tut, ill find out what tool i was using and then reply back on here maybe someone can help me out with that tool once i find what it is.

reply share thread