OpenSource Maya Toolbox

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2005
It's be nice to see the heavier scripts as actual plugins, and other bits and pieces as scripts. We all know MJ poly tools, but we also all know it's downfall, and that's that it works slow on dense meshes. And then there's byron's poly tools, which work well and fast, but at are a cost and also his scripts tend to add strange nodes and apparently does bad wonders to your UV's.
It'd be nice to see Jakob's and Aye's tool working in one nice, clean package, but as plug-ins

02 February 2005
OM Toolkit(which stands for OpenMaya)

We dont need flashy names :P

02 February 2005
Cos of a big school assignment and some personal stuff I can't really work on this project the next 2 week, but I have decided that I definately will set it up no matter how many who wants to join at the moment. Furthermore I will try to get Alias to host the project as it clearly will be a great boost to the community if it succeeds

See you in 2 weeks or so and please do keep posting if any great ideas come up or just something you would like to add.

Greets

02 February 2005
I have nothing I can add to what has been said apart from some encouragement! Really nice idea guys, your scripts are already really helpful and having them all rolled together into a super-plugin would be much appreciated.

02 February 2005
It would be better if you could host it here in cgtalk, as its clearly a "big" community and then join the alias "conductor" program

And yes making them an API plugin would be nice ,yet a little too much to ask for atm?
I guess it would be either better to get all devs on API working from start, or recycling of existing script,combination and multiplication of them

02 February 2005
Originally Posted by JakobWelner: Furthermore I will try to get Alias to host the project as it clearly will be a great boost to the community if it succeeds

About hosting. You should consider http://sourceforge.net . It's by far the largest free host for open source (ok maybe not by quality (see apache, tigirs)). Some mental ray shader classes are already hosted there, ok but it's mainly a C++, Java, Php and environment.

As far as you really use an open source license they host you, giving you a lot of software develpement tools (like bug tracking / cvs) and bandwidth is not an issue, because there are worldwide mirrors. Once the project is mature enought it will gain attraction and can move on (which is the normal evolution of a good open source project)... hosting at alias would be great though, because it would give it some nice approval

But there is a diffrence between hosting the downloadable plugin and hosting a development environment where people develope software together, so it can be split if it's an advantage.

btw: I recommend jEdit as a mel programming editor, there is a nice jEdit syntax highlighting configuration file over there at highend3d.

I encourge you guys, but be aware that open source software takes some time to evolve, but once it does it kicks a**

cheers
Philipp

02 February 2005
i wonder if this project is going to go anywhere? -seems to be getting stale

02 February 2005
Quote: Cos of a big school assignment and some personal stuff I can't really work on this project the next 2 week, but I have decided that I definately will set it up no matter how many who wants to join at the moment.
(Quote from Jakob)

And Aye Koshigaya is in the hospital. Perhaps that is why?

Although everyone wants to have it, but no one wants to support it and contribute.

02 February 2005
As Icon said, I am quite busy atm. but I'll be back soon enough I think. Just need some cathing up on procrastinated homework.

I can't in any way manage this whole project by my self so any help possible especially to get it started would be much appreciated.
I think the most important thing right now is to set up a website with a user requesting system and a forum to discuss further development.

For the scripting part, I think there needs to be a lot of cvs/database involved to get it working nice and smooth, but this isn't very important right now.
The first release should be quite easy to make if it's just a combination of already made scripts.

As for SourceForge.org, I have created a project and will be looking into the possibilities of sourceforge asap.
Project name "omtoolbox" - https://sourceforge.net/projects/omtoolbox/

So if you guys want this project to speed up a little, you are very welcome to set up a forum of some sort, or just a feature request form somewhere.

any help at all would be nice

Last edited by JakobWelner : 02 February 2005 at 02:34 PM.

02 February 2005
Software(and hence this project),start with a messy Beta Version,that is really not that organized

Dont rush in one super organized build

For start,since u froze ur ex toolking in favour of this opensource move,i suggest u recompile it as 0,1 alpha OM toolkit,since most of us are using it and love every single tool(add vertex on connect !!)

That should be your base

Then... you(jakob) and AyaKoshigaya(ur plugins are most popular) need to talk and exchange ur mel scripts, and decide what to keep/add

After you 2 make the First beta,we can add on the list and remove from the list easilly :-)

Now get to work ;-) and use the momentum :-)

And Koshigaya... i hope u get back on ur feet fast

02 February 2005
There you go. My toolbox with a new name. Now there is something to develop

Open Maya Toolbox

02 February 2005
cooooool !! Now i like to start with.. one simple request: i need a bevel that bevel like modo and a bridge that rocks! Maybe a weight map to modify my subdivison hardnesss....

-elvis

02 February 2005
Originally Posted by JakobWelner: As Icon said, I am quite busy atm. but I'll be back soon enough I think. Just need some cathing up on procrastinated homework.

I can't in any way manage this whole project by my self so any help possible especially to get it started would be much appreciated.
I think the most important thing right now is to set up a website with a user requesting system and a forum to discuss further development.

For the scripting part, I think there needs to be a lot of cvs/database involved to get it working nice and smooth, but this isn't very important right now.
The first release should be quite easy to make if it's just a combination of already made scripts.

As for SourceForge.org, I have created a project and will be looking into the possibilities of sourceforge asap.
Project name "omtoolbox" - https://sourceforge.net/projects/omtoolbox/

So if you guys want this project to speed up a little, you are very welcome to set up a forum of some sort, or just a feature request form somewhere.

any help at all would be nice

Sounds like a good idea, but the only drawback being is that once you start dev'ing this you gotta decide whether you're keeping it to windows only, compiling both under GNU and Windows or stepping out to aid the OSX guys as well...that's where a lot of stuff fails is nobody wants to write stuff for OSX!

Suggestion wise if you're gonna write something like this, try to avoid making it a plug-in, essentially you are just forming a collection of scripts and organizing them into one package. I've written a package that I take with me shop to shop called creatureTools that functions the same way, collection of scripts organized into a custom UI stored in the Maya layout...so far there's about 70 some odd scripts and climbing, easy to maintain, simple to update and extremely helpful (all scripts are sourced on start-up). This is all done by a couple very simple and straightforward MEL scripts (plus some magic in tricking Maya heh).

If you need any better explanations on the process of it just drop me a PM and I'll explain it to you...eventually I may release a dulled down version to the public

Oh..and one quick note, try to make the scripts somewhat dependant of others in the sense that you can keep your scripts small and compact with just a few functions (check out Jason Schleifer's scripting style for reference).

Good luck with the project

-shawn

Last edited by M.E.L. : 02 February 2005 at 06:48 PM.

02 February 2005
Talking

Soooo exciting idea ! Maybe this organization should has a name,how about wavefront ?
lol, mel + api = wavefront, Alias|wavefront
BTW, wavefront were disappeared ?

02 February 2005
Awesome! Few suggestions tho:

Why not using normal slide when connecting edges/faces? Is it possible to use continuity feature with regular slide? It would be really neat to connect dragger context to all loop splits/connects, like if you are spliting 2 loops at the same time it would be neat to control both of them with one tool.

Another suggestion is to add some step parameter for the ring/loop selection, like to select gaps, selecting every 2 edge or the 3 one, or even like select 1,2 ,4,5 , 7,8 itc, like allowing face selection of the same "partial" ring type.

Everything works really neat, though some times it produces a strange error and turns of the undo, so I can't undo the uncorrect split, it's still possible to delete it in AE though.

Another idea, excuse me : Currently loop sliding is not leaving a node in history, which is bad actually, this could be done using polyTweak node. This will give and apportunity to write a simple bevel based on connects or loop splits with an ability to slide new edges, deleting the original one, and thus preserving UV's, and at least this bevel will do that cylinder test easily.

Wip

Last edited by GennadiyKorol : 02 February 2005 at 10:43 AM.

Thread Closed share thread