Modeling and texturing advice for a beginner

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Modeling and texturing advice for a beginner

Hi,

I'm an illustrator with a long-held ambition to make a short film. I've done plenty of 2D animation in the past but I've decided to learn Maya to make my film in 3D. Largely, I've been inspired by the animations created by animator Eran Hilleli - I love the simplicity and grace of his character design and admire his work hugely. From the little knowledge I've gleaned so far, I'm guessing he uses a cartoon-shader or similar (I believe he uses both Cinema 4D and Maya, and although I understand Cinema 4D has a toon shader, I'm assuming I can recreate the same effect in Maya).

I appreciate Maya is an incredibly complex program, but as a beginner I would really appreciate any tips and guidance others might offer as to how I might achieve a similar visual style. Further, am I right in assuming Eran is modeling from basic primitive shapes? For example, if I wanted to create a face with an angular nose like some of those picture here, would I use the box modeling technique, or combine primitive shapes (i.e. a sphere and a pyramid). I realise that these questions sound absurdly naive, but you know what it's like when you're starting out teaching yourself something new! Any pointers or links to relevant tutorials would be very, very welcome indeed!

Thanks for reading!

2 Weeks Ago
Ohh Wow! This looks like it will be so much fun!

I would definitely use Maya as your core Animation/rigging, and rendering software. Alot of Studios like using a secondary software like. 3ds max, Cinema 4d, and Houdini to create effects. Like fire, destruction, and particle sims.

The shapes are really basic like you said, and it would be no problem for Maya to handle. The rigging and skinning in Maya is so far the best I seen. So I would definitely try and learn Modeling, UV texturing, and rigging right away. I see alot of people get "Overwhelmed" with all the tools Maya has to offer, but if you only learn what you need to use then you will master it in no time.

I have seen some pretty cool toon shaders built with the Maya Software Render. Though I never had experience myself. Here is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNywO1AUtEA

Let me know if this helps!

2 Weeks Ago
Thanks so much - you comments and the link to that shader video are super useful. Spot on when you say that Maya really can seem utterly overwhelming at first, so I'm pleased to hear I'm doing the right thing by concentrating on the modeling, texturing and animation side of things at first. Even so, it's bewildering to even just try and figure out which method of modeling to adopt!

Thanks again.

reply share thread